Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 23, 2017, 7:15 pm

Randall wrote:What is the paint room?
A room in which I will paint and finish items !! The hint is in my username. :)
Why is the outside kitchen so far from the house?
Have you smelled Thai cooking? And it is SWMBO's idea
So will you have AC units?
Page 10 page 9

I guess you open the window vents upper windows remotely and then get this big updraft? THis is the 4th build thread I read today.
Maybe.

I will not reopen the discussion about water, [-o< if you have questions related it it in this build, I may (or may not) respond.

I didn't understand the part about forgot the mosquito netting on the roof? you mean they get in the cracks in the roof steel?
There should be no cracks in the roof steel. :)
The house is protected from mosquitos, because the builders forgot to put mosquito netting in the roof space they had to seal the walls.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » March 23, 2017, 8:54 pm

My post about water was just some ramblings. I thought the discussion git out of hand a bit in that area and really distracted from your nice home build thread. I think an elevated water tank is a great idea if power or city water flow is an issue.
I figured the paint room was for wood working things. It looks like a nice cabinet shop space with loading dock and all. I have a fantasy about my wood working shop in retirement. To bad I couldn't sell my stuff? Or could I?
I for sure thought that you would use the chimney effect for cooling with all those nice windows. I love the L shaped windows. Big overhanging roof.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 24, 2017, 7:59 am

Randall wrote:My post about water was just some ramblings. I thought the discussion git out of hand a bit in that area and really distracted from your nice home build thread. I think an elevated water tank is a great idea if power or city water flow is an issue.
Hummm. And you have read the expurgated version :lol: the original was significantly less pleasant. Also it is, it is, and it is.
I figured the paint room was for wood working things. It looks like a nice cabinet shop space with loading dock and all. I have a fantasy about my wood working shop in retirement. To bad I couldn't sell my stuff? Or could I?
As a business no you can't, in fact even not as a business no you can't.

I for sure thought that you would use the chimney effect for cooling with all those nice windows. I love the L shaped windows. Big overhanging roof.
Thanks
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » March 25, 2017, 8:28 am

Hi Jerome. Thanks for taking the time to show Da and I through your home. It's all coming together nicely. It was great to meet you and Nui, and we will stay in touch. Made a start on our place this week.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 26, 2017, 7:40 am

February and time for tiles,

It's very useful to bring the pickup right into the workshop
E2094344.jpg
E2094347.jpg
A few picture tiles
E2094381.jpg
Working on the workshop
E2094370.jpg
E2094372.jpg
E2104384.jpg
The workshop bathroom with one of the pictures up
E2104386.jpg
Preparing for posting at 09:28 Wednesday, 26 April 2017

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 27, 2017, 1:46 pm

February and time for more tiles,

The shower linear drain
IMG_0406.jpg
Living room kitchen
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg
Shower room
IMG_0427.jpg
Preparing for posting at 15:41 Thursday, 27 April 2017

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 27, 2017, 2:06 pm

Hi Jerome,

All looking good.
I went to the Mr Ken ceiling fans we spoke of very briefly. Was resigned to going to Bangkok to check them out and talking to you about your discount, but the big new house material supplier on the ring road ended up having them. Saved a trip to the big smoke.
How did your fans end up? I may have missed if you put photos up?

Other thing was what did you end up deciding on for the crane rail, a chain block or electric lifting hook?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 29, 2017, 8:37 am

Barney wrote:Hi Jerome,

All looking good.
I went to the Mr Ken ceiling fans we spoke of very briefly. Was resigned to going to Bangkok to check them out and talking to you about your discount, but the big new house material supplier on the ring road ended up having them. Saved a trip to the big smoke.
How did your fans end up? I may have missed if you put photos up?

Other thing was what did you end up deciding on for the crane rail, a chain block or electric lifting hook?
Chain block as there's no single point electrical version 500 kg 1,500 Baht.
E2154427.jpeg
E3304520.jpeg
Sneak preview, fan mounting points up, more information later about not fitted yet.

What's the name of the place you found them!
E3304521.jpeg
E3304522.jpeg
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on April 29, 2017, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 29, 2017, 10:59 am

Jerome,
Got the Mr Ken Fans at the large new home warehouse behind NAT Honda on the ring road, Kut Chap turn off.
In the lighting section Honda end. Got my 8 fans there. Not cheap but got a store discount with other purchases.
No idea how to spell it, store name is in thai
Barvunabuhm????? is my best guess.

I like the crane rails and looks like some good engineering went into it.
Don't forget to put your SWL rating on the rail for when the safety auditor comes. :lol: :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 29, 2017, 3:17 pm

Barney wrote:Jerome,
Got the Mr Ken Fans at the large new home warehouse behind NAT Honda on the ring road, Kut Chap turn off.
In the lighting section Honda end. Got my 8 fans there. Not cheap but got a store discount with other purchases.
No idea how to spell it, store name is in thai
Barvunabuhm????? is my best guess.

I like the crane rails and looks like some good engineering went into it.
Don't forget to put your SWL rating on the rail for when the safety auditor comes. :lol: :lol:
Thanks.
The crane already has the SWL rating welded onto one of the end struts [-X

The all 4 end trucks are all 1 ton as is the center one so 500 kg is very conservative

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » May 16, 2017, 9:43 pm

'Ive never seen a tile person use a stool or used one... I hope the person is using thin set on the floor as well as back buttering. IMHO the thinset put on the floor correctly and of the right thickness and freshness avoids the need for back buttering. Why not thin set a row of 8 tiles or better yet 2 rows and then lay them? Do they have the plastic spacers to use in Thailand? most pros and me use them.. they come in all grout line widths.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 17, 2017, 7:39 am

yes, you can buy the plastic spacers in almost every store selling tile in Thailand although your usual village tile layer doesn't use them..
Dave

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 17, 2017, 7:50 am

Randall wrote:'Ive never seen a tile person use a stool...
You have now :) You learn something new every day.
I hope the person is using thin set on the floor as well as back buttering.
That depends on the position and varies between thinset, back buttering, and thinset + back buttering. As it does with any tile laying anywhere.
IMHO the thinset put on the floor correctly and of the right thickness and freshness avoids the need for back buttering.

It may
Why not thin set a row of 8 tiles or better yet 2 rows and then lay them?
Because the substrate is somewhat reminiscent of a sponge it isn't remotely water proof so that area of thinset would not be useable. An area of one or two tiles works if the base is moderately absorbent, otherwise back buttering is used to maintain the correct consistency of the thinset.

There are good reasons why tiling is done the way it is in Thailand. As there are for the way it's done in the west
Do they have the plastic spacers to use in Thailand? most pros and me use them.. they come in all grout line widths.
Did you look at the pictures? The answer is there in almost every picture [-X Do you know that if you click a picture it usually gets a higher quality version?

However the longer answer is that Thai tile people all use spacers, most will use bamboo as it's abundant and free, while the plastic spacers will have a cost that in UK terms makes them £1.25 ($1.75) each or £65.00 ($84) for a bag of 50. So if they cost that much most pros and you would probably not use them, or at very least you would be thinking hard about the number of beers that they would be costing you :) \:D/
For them to have a similar relative cost to UK ones the would have to be priced at ฿9 per 1000 not the price they are.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Continuing the process of tiling
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
The workshop shower
IMG_1149.JPG
The linear drain in the workshop shower
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
Preparing for posting at 12:13 Monday, 03 July 2017

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 3, 2017, 10:36 am

Yet more tiling detail

The transitions between rooms use a different pattern
IMG_1153.JPG
Badly cut tile that will be replaced
IMG_1154.JPG
On suite shower and toilet
IMG_1155.JPG
On suite shower and toilet pictures
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
Living/kitchen looking into the workshop
IMG_1158.JPG
Our bedroom
IMG_1159.JPG
Preparing for posting at 12:19 Monday, 03 July 2017

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » July 3, 2017, 3:38 pm

Looking great my friend, I will have to drop in and have a look at the finished job when i finally get my pension and get over there. Might pick up some names of good tradies to renovate our place in non sa at while there.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 4, 2017, 4:43 am

Fatone wrote:
July 3, 2017, 3:38 pm
Looking great my friend, I will have to drop in and have a look at the finished job when i finally get my pension and get over there. Might pick up some names of good tradies to renovate our place in non sa at while there.
You will be welcome though there's only 1 local person who I would unhesitatingly recommend and 1 team from kumpawape. We have used a company Bann Boon 2012 to build and I would have no problem in recommend them.

Starting on the workshop tiles
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1163.JPG
We do not have enough of the water damaged tiles to complete the workshop so need three different patterns
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
SWMBO is now cleaning the tiles in the living-room/kitchen
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG
Preparing for posting at 06:31 Tuesday, 04 July 2017

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Project looks good and now the real cleaning begins once all the tiles are placed. :lol: :lol:

Goodluck with the finish.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 4, 2017, 7:17 pm

On the 5th picture we can see that the little plastic spacers are being used. The next 2 show the tile cleaning, with just a mop ? Has any grout been applied in the joints ? Thanks.. Just curious...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 4, 2017, 8:13 pm

the-monk wrote:
July 4, 2017, 7:17 pm
On the 5th picture we can see that the little plastic spacers are being used. The next 2 show the tile cleaning, with just a mop ? Has any grout been applied in the joints ? Thanks.. Just curious...
Sure it has, it took one of the tile crews wives several hours per room. I just didn't show any picture of her at work, also there are 3 days between between those pictures.
E2154432.jpg
Here is the ensuite shower showing that it's been half grouted

Return to “House & Land”