Attacks on Foreigners updates please.

General Udon Thani topics only!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 24, 2016, 10:01 am

While we are undergoing a media frenzy on attacks on Thais resulting in deaths, not only in Bangkok but also Udon Thani province.
A thought crossed my mind ( not often I admit 0
What was the outcome for the victim and the alleged offenders of that dastardly attack with a Garden Hoe in Nong Prajak in the wee hours and also did the elderly foreigner succumb or live to tell the tale of woe from Nong Sim.

We are very good at highlighting an attack, unfortunately the wheels of justice here turn SO slowly that the outcome is shrouded by the mists of time.

The updates are not a goulish request but a need to pacify those that feel that Udon is getting more unsafe and to allay fears of foreigners just sitting quietly enjoying life, it would be nice to have the results if known for all to know.

Anybody got the results oir can update the forum with the necessary information ?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 24, 2016, 1:11 pm

I scan the Thai press and webpages for news concerning Udon pretty much everyday........unless you're the driver of the Ferrari who knicked a cop on a motorcycle or a 16year old license-less girl who took out ?9? people on the highway, your case might hit the front page on the day it occurs.......but there'll be little if any further coverage after that.
It doesn't necessarily mean there is no further action.....it just means it's not in the news.

I haven't read anything in the past few months that strikes me as more or less than normal amount of crime. Even the 15 or so mystery cremations in Ban Pheu.......probably not unlike the 2000+ people who disappeared during the anti-drug campaign in Thaksin days.

If you're frightened or concerned about what you do read in the press, be more frightened or concerned about what's not in the press. There's plenty of it......murders, robberies, rapes, gang related. It's been that way since we came here 19 years ago.....hasn't changed since.

I still consider Udon to be a very safe place......but like anywhere......you're more at risk if you go to risky areas or deal in criminal activities or flip someone off in a fit of anger or flaunt your wealth (every expat is wealthy in the eyes of most Thais......so it doesn't take much to make an impression).

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » April 24, 2016, 3:50 pm

parrot wrote:I still consider Udon to be a very safe place......but like anywhere......you're more at risk if you go to risky areas or deal in criminal activities or flip someone off in a fit of anger or flaunt your wealth (every expat is wealthy in the eyes of most Thais......so it doesn't take much to make an impression).
=D> =D> =D>

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 24, 2016, 4:11 pm

I was not commenting about the safety, I was asking about the updates on two events which were in my book unprovoked and unusual, coupled with the death of a Thai boy between Udon and Kudchap, then one assumes that unusual events are now becoming usual.
Just wondering what the outcome regarding the offenders more than the victims in fact.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 24, 2016, 4:18 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » April 24, 2016, 8:50 pm

This seems like an appropriate place to post a comment that was made at our village meeting on Thursday evening...The phuyban, made the statement that it was now against the law to fly a foreign flag...And anyone who was caught flying a foreign flag would be subject to jail(he actually said prison)...After the meeting , the phuyban was asked where this came from and his comment was that this was said in an amphur meeting by the head of the amphur police...I know we have several members on this board that have Thai friends at the amphur level..Trubrit, for instance....and I would like to get to the truth...If this is true, I am concerned, but I want to verify it, if possible, before I get concerned...There are several foreign flags flying from houses in the Nong Wuaso area...

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Sometimes ignorence is bliss. My first trip here was 17 years ago. Never felt like there was violence I'm sure there was. Got drunk waling around at night by myself. Maybe I'm more aware now then I was then. But, I have cut out the bar crawls years ago.

We seldom go out and when we do it's not to the bars. I feel perfectly save here. But, I have to admit I have changed how I do things. The social life is down to bike trips. A friend recently went to a village party of some type, as I recall he said lots of fist figths and some shooting towards the end. I have noticed more violence then before. But, then the new in English is bette then it wa before.

With the military situation the flag thing may or may not be true. In any event not really a major thing. However the village chief may not be the best source for legal matters. ;)
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » April 25, 2016, 8:57 am

> This seems like an appropriate place

Not at all. You are hijacking this thread with a totally different topic.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 25, 2016, 12:03 pm

stoneman wrote:This seems like an appropriate place to post a comment that was made at our village meeting on Thursday evening...The phuyban, made the statement that it was now against the law to fly a foreign flag...And anyone who was caught flying a foreign flag would be subject to jail(he actually said prison)...After the meeting , the phuyban was asked where this came from and his comment was that this was said in an amphur meeting by the head of the amphur police...I know we have several members on this board that have Thai friends at the amphur level..Trubrit, for instance....and I would like to get to the truth...If this is true, I am concerned, but I want to verify it, if possible, before I get concerned...There are several foreign flags flying from houses in the Nong Wuaso area...
Well I have had a large Union Jack and flag of St George flying on my gate since Friday in honour of Her Majesty s 90 th birthday, St Georges day and Shakespeare's birthday. My part time yarm is actually an army sergeant responsible for the local Amphoe security and he helped me to put them up, so although I haven't seen him yet today to ask, it's unlikely to be a" general" instruction.I will add though that long ago he suggested I also fly the Thai flag on these occasions .Seems fair enough to me .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 25, 2016, 4:43 pm

There is etiquette to flag flying , the first one is always fly the flag of the country you are in, higher than any other flag, that way you are NOT disrespecting the host country.
Like TB I flew the Union Flag and the St Georges flag on the right days, both larger than the Thai one which is always flying but the were lower.

No-one has ever said anything to me and I would take exception if they would in any event.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 25, 2016, 5:27 pm

Go to the Land office I was there last Tuesday & wondered why flags from different nations were on the flagpoles.
There are flags from several different nations flying there.
The Thai flag is above them as Khun Paul stated.
It is the same or used to be for signs for your bar.
I remember Jimmy Mac in Pattaya was refused a renewal of his license because the name of the bar in Thai was smaller than the English name.
He had to buy a new sign.
Do not know if this still applies.
And this is still off Topic so I apologise

Correction to my last statement.
The name in Thai was below the Farang name.
he still had to buy a new sign
Last edited by pal52 on April 25, 2016, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2016, 5:31 pm

I would think you'd apply the same rule of thumb to a visitor in your home country flying a foreign flag.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”