John's budget build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by ajarnudon » October 15, 2017, 7:57 pm

I am working back in BKK again, and have driven back to Udon today. Hope we have just about seen the last of the rain so I can get some work done at the block. Firstly to waterproof the inside of the retaining wall (Flintkote), put up the plastic sheeting, instal the drainage and then backfill. The fill in the garage section will have to be compacted to support the floor slab, aided by five transverse beam footings. As soon as the backfill is out of the way, four of the house posts will go in as they will also support the lean-to garage roof. I 've got a two week window before it's back to BKK and work.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 15, 2017, 8:13 pm

Well done John,

I'm sure you will be kept busy. Must be nice working in Thailand and closer to home.
What industry are you in?
I'm persevering through the hard economic down turn times in the construction industry, now that the companies can screw you, not in money but for me in the R&R roster.
I feel we are both working to the same goal of one day sitting like all the other old guys in Udon :lol: and enjoying, as you put it earlier in your thread, the serenity of having a cuppa and looking over the rice paddies and perhaps doing the school run, looking for a special gravy mix, a roast dinner, and a cheap beer. :-k Well actually I wont be looking for any of those but will do the school run. \:D/

Good luck with the house mate.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » October 19, 2017, 7:31 pm

Thanks Barney. I think I am going to enjoy looking out on this from my back deck. I'm talking about the paddy fields of course. Bumper rice crop this year - some of that greenery is higher than my 175 cms.
Rear view.jpg
Finally got some work done at our land today. Third and final coat of Flintcote bituminous emulsion going on to waterproof the inside of the retaining wall. At the bottom is the first section of drainage in place - to be covered in crushed aggregate.
19Oct2017.jpg

sunwavessand
udonmap.com

Post by sunwavessand » October 24, 2017, 4:43 am

Awesome! This is pretty inspiring.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » November 13, 2017, 3:45 am

I bet this will be stupid ? why paint a wall? cant the skim coat of cement have color added? OR if no paint wy coat a retaining wall with waterproofing? 3 Coats may not seal all the voids and seems like so much work... Paint wont last ..
I can see the need for a good french drain to keep the hydrostatic pressure off the wall but what is the worst thing if the wall wicks up and has some effervescence?

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » November 13, 2017, 12:55 pm

The drain looks like a good thing.personally I wouldn't of painted below ground level.i would of backfilled will gravel,broken blocks and let it breath.above ground I would definitely painted and the top used a primer and roof paint as they don't use coping skills out here.if the top of the wall is fully protected from water/damp you won't get a capillary action of rising damp.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 13, 2017, 2:46 pm

Guys, John and wife visited my house ( with beer I might add, thanks) and I think this is his short length of home made agriculture drain, drilled holes and shade cloth covered and tied on to allow any excess water at the wall to drain a way. He will fill this in. I may be wrong as the beer kicked in as the conversation went on.
He said at the time he couldn't find the ag pipe in town.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 18, 2017, 7:32 pm

Cheers Barney
It was great to catch up at last. A good summary above; actually cut 300 x 25 mm slots in both sides of 80 mm blue PVC pipe, then wrapped with four layers of 80% shadecloth, covered with aggregate, then another two layers of shadecloth before the backfill goes on top - about to happen; see next post. I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger with the crabs - that's why I have been AWOL. Work in BKK has been min 45 hrs /wk, and I am 7 weeks into my Masters degree which takes up another 24 hrs/ wk +. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Last edited by ajarnudon on December 18, 2017, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 18, 2017, 7:53 pm

Hi Randall and Marko
It isn't paint. It is a bitumen emulsion (Shell Flintcote). The first coat goes on diluted 50% with water, the next two coats are full strength. Each coat is alternated with horizontal or vertical application. There will be French drains, as well as the slotted pipe at the bottom exiting thru the walls most of the perimeter (except the 11 meters which form the external wall of the garage), eliminating any hydrostatic pressure. As well, there are gaps in the bottom course between every second 140 mm block (no mortar), allowing seepage to flow out thru the aggregate. French drains or not, water will still find its way into the fill (not a lot, granted) but enough for moisture to be absorbed into the blocks and lift the paint off the OUTSIDE of the wall. The Flintcote will prevent this 100%.
Last edited by ajarnudon on December 18, 2017, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 18, 2017, 8:16 pm

Well, I have a rare opportunity to do some building work over the Xmas break. Drove the pickup from BKK on Saturday and flew back Sunday. The purpose of the exercise was to get the pickup to Udon so that I would have it for the 10 days I have off over Xmas. The missus' litle hatch ain't too good for reo and the like.
While there, we had a good meeting with the guy who will be my foreman, and went thru what I hoped to achieve in that time. I've booked a makro for Xmas eve, and he is looking after the labour. BUT I have run into a snag, My design is for prefab concrete posts (quick, and easy to get perfect alignment, with steel bearers and joists above). A few months ago I talked to my local batch plant owner/post manufacturer about getting 6 m posts (1 m underground, 5 m above), and yes, he could make them. Now, when I need them, the answer is no, he can't.
I really want to use precast posts - time is a big factor (I won't be back on the building scene until March), as well as the ease of alignment. I don't want to have to go down the track of formwork and pours. If anyone can tell me where I can source 6 m precast posts in Udon, I will be forever in your debt.
Thanks in advance, John
ps. At this time I only need four for the garage inner wall, but if I have to pay delivery from Udon I will buy all 22 that I need for the whole house.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » December 19, 2017, 7:12 am

If you drive past the Srithani golf course and keep going until you’re nearly at Ban Tat there’s a place on the left that sells bricks and concrete posts etc owned by a chap called “Boy”, I’m 100% he can make them there, he just made me some long ones too and his prices are very keen, I have a phone number if you want It?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dang34

Post by dang34 » December 19, 2017, 8:43 am

Hi ajarnudon,
Do you have a rebar specific schedule? (size, grade, spacing).
Also, is there a concrete mix you or your batch plant has in mind?
These considerations may be worth some sort of a tip, unless you're taking work away from a regular client???

Sounds like you're building a pole building method.
An alternate may be poured pads with rebar protruding up for a future pour. A 2nd pour would have rebar lap spliced to these. You would need forms, which you don't want, unfortunately. Sounds like getting chute elevation is difficult and a pump truck non-existent. This would be the stable in the undisturbed native bearing soil but would have a cold joint between pours.

Optimally, you dig holes and form columns above. But we both know mixing on site and dropping the mud in those would not be easy or without pockets. I'm assuming no vibrator - but they could bang on the forms.

You could also form them up laying on the ground and tilt them up after setting up. You'd still need to tamp the fill dirt around them in the holes, however. Good luck. I hope the batch plant owner reconsider$ your requeSt.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 19, 2017, 4:44 pm

Yes please Vince. Could you PM me?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 19, 2017, 5:08 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
December 19, 2017, 4:44 pm

John,

Vincemunday is right, the place is about 500 meters from my Soi, so I will send you a map.

I dropped into his place 5 months back and had him make some 15cm x 15cm x 4 meter long concrete posts for me. You will just need to a ensure he understands what reinforcement (Bar size/grade & Ligatures/Spacing and Cover) that you want in your specific.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 19, 2017, 5:24 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
December 19, 2017, 4:44 pm

His place looks like this

pipoz4444
Attachments
Precast Columns - Boy 1_Page_1.jpg
Precast Columns - Boy 1_Page_1
Precast Columns - Boy 2_Page_1.jpg
Precast Columns - Boy 2_Page_1

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 19, 2017, 5:53 pm

John

Boy 4C & 4B Maps: Start at UD Tel Hotel on the Main Road and head down the road with the 7 Eleven, about 5.5 kms

Boy 4A: 1.16 kms past the entrance to the Si Thani Gold Forrest (on right side), its just before the Auto Repair Shop but on the opposite (Left side Nong Tha Noi Lake).

pipoz4444
Attachments
Precast Columns - Boy 4A Map.jpg
Precast Columns - Boy 4A Map
Precast Columns - Boy 4B Map.jpg
Precast Columns - Boy 4B Map
Precast Columns - Boy 4C Map.jpg
Precast Columns - Boy 4C Map

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 20, 2017, 4:28 pm

Thanks Vince and Pipoz
My wife contacted him today. Maximum length is 5 metres, and cost is 300 baht/metre. Must be ordered a week in advance. The 5 metre posts will suffice for the outside walls of the house, but looks like we will have to form and pour the interior posts which are higher (gable roof with raked ceiling). The interior posts will be a few months away. I want to concentrate on getting the garage to the stage where I can lock it up asap.
My wife is driving down to pay a deposit (I am in BKK this week).
Cheers, John

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 31, 2017, 10:28 pm

The ten posts wers delivered intact, but two had serious curvatures and another a minor curve. Because we had paid a 50% deposit and had a lot of workers waiting on site, we had no option but to accept them. Lesson: If you use these people, drive to the factory site and accept only products that are of a good standard before delivery.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » January 1, 2018, 7:05 am

I’ve had a few off him now with no issues other than one minor crack and he refunded me the money for that, I’d take it up with Boy and at least try to get some money back, it’s not good enough you shouldn’t need to visit the factory he should do the job properly without that being necessary, I shan’t recommend him again.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » January 1, 2018, 10:34 pm

Hi Dang43. Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you - I missed your post on the 19/12. I was busy trying to arrange for my wife to call at the plant (I was in BKK until Friday night 22/12), which she did and I was happy with the rebar size and spacing. I am about to post an update with lots of pictures, from which the construction method will be obvious.
Regards, John

Return to “House & Land”