European Cups 2017/18

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: European Cups 2017/18

Post by Zidane » February 14, 2018, 10:20 am

Great result for City who are looking more and more like potential Champions League winners.
Great result for The Spuds,after a shocking start.Eriksen MOM....Pochettino got his team selection spot on ! =;

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 14, 2018, 11:10 am

Zidane wrote:
February 14, 2018, 10:20 am
Great result for City who are looking more and more like potential Champions League winners.
Great result for The Spuds,after a shocking start.Eriksen MOM....Pochettino got his team selection spot on ! =;
:confused: :-k =;

How the 'ell can ya say that when he play's that bl**dy brainless idiot AURIER ](*,)

Ever since his first game for the spuds he has cost them ....... can't read the game, can't defend, doesn't know when or where to tackle, goes to ground quicker than Chris Smalling :-$

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 14, 2018, 11:21 am

stattointhailand wrote:
February 14, 2018, 11:10 am
How the 'ell can ya say that when he play's that bl**dy brainless idiot AURIER ](*,)
Well that won't be an issue in the second leg Statts... :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 14, 2018, 11:24 am

Yeah,right back is a problem area for Spurs as Trippier has looked dodgy there recently also.
But other than that the team selection was spot on....Eriksen and Dembele were superb,imo.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 14, 2018, 8:53 pm

1st leg of the P45 cup tonight ..... build up from 0200 on channel 36 PPTV

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 15, 2018, 6:48 am

score.png
score.png (7.81 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Pool book a place in the quarters after the first, away leg as well.
Madrid, who are having a pretty poor domestic season, take a large advantage over mega spending PSG. I thought this would be a far closer encounter with the edge towards the French, but Ronaldo is finding some form just when it is needed..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 15, 2018, 8:45 am

Great results for the English teams,so far,and gives hope that an EPL team could lift the trophy.
Wether or not the outlook is as great next week after Manchester United and Chelsea play is another matter ! ;)

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » February 15, 2018, 8:50 am

Zidane wrote:
February 14, 2018, 10:20 am
]Pochettino got his team selection spot on ![/colour][/u] =;
Judging by the responses Zid, it appears your comment missed it's intended mark! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MY response: No he didn't; he got lucky :D
1. Trippier, in the worst of his form, would still be a far superior choice than Aurier. I would go further and state that Spurs purchase of Aurier ranks with the purchases of Jansen & Llorente as among the worst of Pochettino's decisions.
2. Alderweireld is not only in a different class to Sanchez, but also very few would dispute the proven pairing of the former alongside Vertonghen is superior to any other defensive pairing in the EPL.
3. Danny Rose is unarguably a better and more experience big match player than is the up & coming Davies, ( who unfortunately had a poor game against Juventus, perhaps overcome by the occasion?), and should have been selected, notwithstanding any off field problems. He could be relied upon to give of his best and, if Pochettino was not prepared to play him, why have him on him bench? :-k
4. In form Son or the fully fit new signing Moura,, ( the latter a vastly experienced and proven goal scorer just aching to prove himself to Spurs) should most surely have been a more appropriate footballing choice than the not yet fully match fit, and not yet in form Lamella. That Lamella proved to be one of the least effective Spurs players on the night, speaks for itself.
So, no, the selections were far from being spot on, but nevertheless no question Pochettino is entitled to full credit for instilling into the squad the solidarity, determination, passion and refusal to accept defeat, which are now integral features of his team. These virtues, plus the very special skills of the likes of the immaculate Vertonghen; the realization by Dembele of his full potential; the increasing stature of Eriksen as a playmaker second to none in the EPL and Kane being, well, Kane, all came together against Juventus to enable such a credible result, DESPITE some questionable selections, which could have proved costly. Well done Spurs. =D> =D>

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 15, 2018, 9:23 am

I guess its lucky you are not the Spurs manager then,mat. =;
Alderweireld has been out for 3 months with a hamstring injury.....so you would put him straight back into the team to play Juventus ?......he wasn't even on the plane to Italy.....also,Sanchez played pretty well I thought.
Rose has only played 5 EPL games all season and is currently not 100% fit due to a knee injury.....so you would put him straight back into the team to play Juventus ? When fully fit and his head is fully focused he would be a better option than Davies but currently he isn't !
Agreed Aurier is a disaster but neither him or Trippier are great options at right back.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I think you should stick to your current role of advising Alan Pardew his tactics and team selection at West Brom ! ;)

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » February 15, 2018, 10:05 am

Zidane wrote:
February 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Of course you are entitled to your opinion ...
Gee thanks. :D But you will note, dear friend, I am always prepared to express my opinion BEFORE the outcome of the matter under discussion is known! ;) [-X [-X Go on, be a devil, and try it sometime; it's great fun. \:D/ \:D/

Meantime, enough about this match, although I do look forward to your publishing your selection idea for the Spurs team, for the return leg, PRIOR to announcement of Pochettino's selection , and the result of the match. [-X

Moving on, since The Mouth appears to be having a great deal more difficulty than the Spurs Manager, in deciding his best team, would you care to express IN ADVANCE your opinion of what you consider would be Utd's best formation & team, for the first leg of their Champions League match? :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 15, 2018, 11:37 am

Your obsession with Mourinho meant you "took your eye off the ball" regarding Alderweireld and Rose.....admit it !! :D

Spuds team for the second leg:Lloris:Trippier,Sanchez,Vertonghen,Dier,Davies:Son,Dembele,Eriksen,Ali:Kane

United team:deGea:Valencia,Jones,Rojo,Young:Matic,Pogba,Lingard,Mata:Sanchez,Lukaku......though I fear Smalling will play instead of Rojo and maybe Martial instead of Mata or Lingard ??

Easy,peasy......no need to take 7 hours typing up the equivalent of Encyclopedia Brittania in nearly every post..... ;)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 15, 2018, 11:43 am

BobHelm wrote:
February 15, 2018, 6:48 am
score.png

Pool book a place in the quarters after the first, away leg as well.
Madrid, who are having a pretty poor domestic season, take a large advantage over mega spending PSG. I thought this would be a far closer encounter with the edge towards the French, but Ronaldo is finding some form just when it is needed..
That FC Porto MUST Be a Bloody GOOD Team though "Eh ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » February 15, 2018, 11:52 am

ADVANTAGE REAL MADRID IN "EL CASHICO" A Few BAFTA. Nominees in Attendance to boot.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » February 15, 2018, 12:02 pm

Zidane wrote:
February 15, 2018, 11:37 am
Your obsession with Mourinho meant you "took your eye off the ball" regarding Alderweireld and Rose.....admit it !! :D

Spuds team for the second leg:Lloris:Trippier,Sanchez,Vertonghen,Dier,Davies:Son,Dembele,Eriksen,Ali:Kane

United team:deGea:Valencia,Jones,Rojo,Young:Matic,Pogba,Lingard,Mata:Sanchez,Lukaku......though I fear Smalling will play instead of Rojo and maybe Martial instead of Mata or Lingard ??

Easy,peasy......no need to take 7 hours typing up the equivalent of Encyclopedia Brittania in nearly every post..... ;)
=D> =D> =D> yeh he does go on a bit doesn,t he,he could talk a glass eye to sleep

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2018, 12:18 pm

Reckon the PSG fans must be wondering what the hell happened :lol:

Answer ...... you can control a game all you like and you can play all the flicks and tricks in the book, but if you don't do the BASICS you aint gonna win anything worth winning

Scoring 8 in a tin pot league might be good for confidence but it means nowt when you play against a team that plays at a better standard (see Basel & Porto?)

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » February 15, 2018, 6:55 pm

Zidane wrote:

Sorry Zid, you seem confused I don't see the connection. In any event, both players you mention were declared by Pochetinno fully fit to play, and Rose was actually on the bench; also I note LIKE ME YOU have included Son in lieu of Lamella and Trippier in lieu of Aurier. Wise after the event :-" So the short answer :-s to your question is "Yes, I stand by my original selection, which is unaffected either by your imagined obsession of mine with The Mouth, or my duties assisting Pardew! :D :lol: \:D/

My greatest admirer 711 :-s wrote: =D> =D> =D> yeh he does go on a bit doesn't he. He could talk a glass eye to sleep'

Yes, I sure do, and enjoy a great deal of harmless fun. Even more important, you all continue to read and criticise me and, as on this thread, all you lazy football fans have once again been galvanized into action and livened up the football threads once again. Keep it going.
Last edited by mathusalah80 on February 15, 2018, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2018, 7:04 pm

Tuesday night Man City 4 goals on the road
Wednesday night Liverpool 5 goals on the road
Thursday Night Everton (oops sorry better make that Arsenal) SIX goals on the road ?? (Danny Welbeck Rools OK)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2018, 8:09 pm

PPTV Channel 36 ...... build up from 00:30 Udon Central Pacific Atlantic Time with KO at 18:00 GMT (01:00 Udon)

Ideal for those returning from an evenings entertainment in Town :lol: or In fact any Gooners fans who have shut their bar a few minutes early :-k

Ostersunds FK v Arsenal

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 15, 2018, 8:16 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
February 15, 2018, 6:55 pm
Zidane wrote:

Sorry Zid, you seem confused I don't see the connection. In any event, both players you mention were declared by Pochetinno fully fit to play
My greatest admirer 711 :-s wrote: =D> =D> =D> yeh he does go on a bit doesn't he. He could talk a glass eye to sleep' =;
Yes, I sure do :badteeth: ,
mat80
I dont think I am anywhere as near as confused as you :D heres what Pochettino had to say about Alderweireld.....

Pochettino says Alderweireld omitted from Juventus trip for sake of his career

Mauricio Pochettino says he omitted Toby Alderweireld from his squad to face Juventus in the Champions League because he cannot put the defender’s career at risk.
Pochettino, who left him out against Arsenal on Saturday, does not think he is fit enough for matches at the highest level.
“Of course we are sorry for him,” Pochettino said. “We work a lot to play in this type of game against Juventus. When you cannot play, it is difficult to accept.
“The player feels fit to play but it is our responsibility, together with the medical department, to take the best decision. With this injury, be careful. It was a massive one.
“Look at different players that had setbacks with it – like Ross Barkley [of Chelsea]. Toby is not 20 years old, he is 28. To play in these type of tough games, you need to be 200 per cent. We cannot put his career at risk.”

So he wasn't fit to play,as you keep stating was he :pirate:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 16, 2018, 6:36 am

score.png
Well no crazy Gunner's score, but a decent enough away win which should see them in the next round without too many scares. Tougher assignments await them in this competition though as most of the 'big boys' look like easing through as well.
Celtic with a very slight advantage to take away to Russia - they never make European nights look comfortable these days though..

Return to “World Sports”