European Cups 2017/18

General sports news and discussions.
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Re: European Cups 2017/18

Post by mathusalah80 » February 15, 2018, 6:55 pm

Zidane wrote:
February 15, 2018, 11:37 am
Your obsession with Mourinho meant you "took your eye off the ball" regarding Alderweireld and Rose.....admit it !! :D

Sorry Zid, you seem confused I don't see the connection. In any event, both players you mention were declared by Pochetinno fully fit to play, and Rose was actually on the bench; also I note LIKE ME YOU have included Son in lieu of Lamella and Trippier in lieu of Aurier. Wise after the event :-" So the short answer :-s to your question is "Yes, I stand by my original selection, which is unaffected either by your imagined obsession of mine with The Mouth, or my duties assisting Pardew! :D :lol: \:D/

My greatest admirer 711 :-s wrote: =D> =D> =D> yeh he does go on a bit doesn't he. He could talk a glass eye to sleep'

Yes, I sure do, and enjoy a great deal of harmless fun. Even more important, you all continue to read and criticise me and, as on this thread, all you lazy football fans have once again been galvanized into action and livened up the football threads once again. Keep it going.
Last edited by mathusalah80 on February 15, 2018, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2018, 7:04 pm

Tuesday night Man City 4 goals on the road
Wednesday night Liverpool 5 goals on the road
Thursday Night Everton (oops sorry better make that Arsenal) SIX goals on the road ?? (Danny Welbeck Rools OK)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2018, 8:09 pm

PPTV Channel 36 ...... build up from 00:30 Udon Central Pacific Atlantic Time with KO at 18:00 GMT (01:00 Udon)

Ideal for those returning from an evenings entertainment in Town :lol: or In fact any Gooners fans who have shut their bar a few minutes early :-k

Ostersunds FK v Arsenal

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 15, 2018, 8:16 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
February 15, 2018, 6:55 pm
Zidane wrote:
February 15, 2018, 11:37 am
Your obsession with Mourinho meant you "took your eye off the ball" regarding Alderweireld and Rose.....admit it !! :D

Sorry Zid, you seem confused I don't see the connection. In any event, both players you mention were declared by Pochetinno fully fit to play
My greatest admirer 711 :-s wrote: =D> =D> =D> yeh he does go on a bit doesn't he. He could talk a glass eye to sleep' =;
Yes, I sure do :badteeth: ,
mat80
I dont think I am anywhere as near as confused as you :D heres what Pochettino had to say about Alderweireld.....

Pochettino says Alderweireld omitted from Juventus trip for sake of his career

Mauricio Pochettino says he omitted Toby Alderweireld from his squad to face Juventus in the Champions League because he cannot put the defender’s career at risk.
Pochettino, who left him out against Arsenal on Saturday, does not think he is fit enough for matches at the highest level.
“Of course we are sorry for him,” Pochettino said. “We work a lot to play in this type of game against Juventus. When you cannot play, it is difficult to accept.
“The player feels fit to play but it is our responsibility, together with the medical department, to take the best decision. With this injury, be careful. It was a massive one.
“Look at different players that had setbacks with it – like Ross Barkley [of Chelsea]. Toby is not 20 years old, he is 28. To play in these type of tough games, you need to be 200 per cent. We cannot put his career at risk.”

So he wasn't fit to play,as you keep stating was he :pirate:

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 16, 2018, 6:36 am

score.png
Well no crazy Gunner's score, but a decent enough away win which should see them in the next round without too many scares. Tougher assignments await them in this competition though as most of the 'big boys' look like easing through as well.
Celtic with a very slight advantage to take away to Russia - they never make European nights look comfortable these days though..

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 16, 2018, 5:01 pm

After the last couple of days results, and the "EXPERTS" all seeming to agree that the Premier League is now the "dominant force" in Europe, does this mean that (based on last weeks rather daft argument) the Italian, Spannish, German, French, Dutch etc etc leagues will ALL be clamoring to do away with a mid winter break :-k

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » February 17, 2018, 1:52 pm

Zidane wrote:
February 15, 2018, 8:16 pm

Pochettino, who left Alderweireld out against Arsenal on Saturday, does not think he is fit enough for matches at the highest level....." Toby is not 20 years old, he is 28. To play in these type of tough games, you need to be 200 per cent. We cannot put his career at risk.”
So he wasn't fit to play, as you keep stating , was he :pirate: [/i]
Err, NO! :oops: :oops: :oops: . But, of course, in fairness, I didn't spend countless hours on the computer geeks equivalent of the Encyclopedia Britania, ( shouldn't that be Encyclopaedia Britannica'? :-" :-" ), before posting the computer's expert opinion. :lol: :lol:
On a serious note now Zid, I hope Pochettino's stated reasons for omitting Alderweireld are honest. This because I don't discount the possibility that The Mouth, has been making approaches to Alderweireld ,(via Danny Rosa, of course), to join Rose on his expected move to Utd., at season's end.
Meantime, I stand by my original selections as the best formation & team to represent Spurs in the return leg against Juventus,, at White Hart Lane.
I find interesting YOUR idea of Utd's best starting line up, for the first leg, ; which I will take to be the first ELEVEN players of the 13 you named since, as you know, even Utd playing at home is not permitted to field more than eleven at any one time! \:D/ \:D/ It will be interesting to see if The Mouth can prove me wrong, by demonstrating he knows more about football than you :D :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 19, 2018, 7:28 am

fixtures.png
fixtures 1.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 21, 2018, 7:18 am

score.png
score.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Chelsea very much still in the hunt for a quarter file spot.
Besiktas probably not... :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2018, 9:54 am

Man City ....... tick
Liverpool ........ tick
Spuds ......... tick
Arsenal ......... tick
Chelsea ......... tick

over to you Jose

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 22, 2018, 7:16 am

score.png
score.png (8.39 KiB) Viewed 622 times
A 'could have been worse' night for United rather than an European 'great'..
de Gea most responsible on the United side for the draw. The lack of an away goal, though, could come back to haunt them.
Shakhtar have a slight edge in the other game. Although Roma fans will probably say their position is the same as United's in the second leg - they need to score.. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2018, 5:19 pm

Alejandro Moreno's comment on ESPN FC last night re Man Utd summed them up ...... "UNWATCHABLE"

Years ago fans used to look when the fixtures were released to see when their team they played Man Utd and book tickets.

They still look for the dates to book tickets (to go away on their holidays)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 22, 2018, 5:42 pm

I didnt watch it statts ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2018, 6:00 pm

Zidane wrote:
February 22, 2018, 5:42 pm
I didnt watch it statts ! ;)
Seems like a good idea ...... think I'll follow your lead for the second leg :lol:

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » February 23, 2018, 7:15 am

liverpool a good outside bet to win the champions league this year
Sean

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 23, 2018, 7:43 am

score.png
score 1.png
The Gunners almost made a hash of it. 2 zip down at home at half time. They improved after the break but will have to improve (or get another good draw) to progress farther.. :D
Elsewhere in the British sides... Celtic lived up to European expectations and got a hammering in Russia.
No real shocks, although a couple of the lesser Spanish sides perished...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 24, 2018, 2:51 pm

Europa League last-16 draw in full:

Lazio v Dynamo Kiev
RB Leipzig v Zenit St Petersburg
Atletico Madrid v Lokomotiv Moscow
CSKA Moscow v Lyon
Marseille v Athletic Bilbao
Sporting Lisbon v Viktoria Plzen
Borussia Dortmund v Red Bull Salzburg
AC Milan v Arsenal
Bit of a tough draw for the Gunners, but at least the have home advantage in the second leg rather than being away..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Some changes to the European competitions from 2018/19 on.

Read full details here:
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleagu ... 99801.html#/

As far as I can make out the main changes for English clubs in the Champions League are..
Top 4 clubs qualify straight to the last 32 main group stage - unless English sides have won the Champions League & the Europa Cup the season before & both those sides are not in the top 4.. (Yeah I can see that happening regularly :D )
All the clubs eliminated from the Champions League qualifying will go into the Europa Cup.
Staggered kick off times - 18.55CET and 21.00CET – in both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.

For the Europa Cup I am as clear as mud...but think that the teams finishing 5th. & 6th. in the EPL qualify...

The competitions kick off at the end of June for those in the preliminary stages - happy summer holidays to them!! :D

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 28, 2018, 1:32 pm

..but think that the teams finishing 5th. & 6th. in the EPL qualify...& Possibly 7th I Believe Bob....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 28, 2018, 1:33 pm

AND no Champions/Europa League matches will use VAR in any form =D>

Return to “World Sports”