Formwork building method

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
gprit
udonmap.com

Formwork building method

Post by gprit » April 22, 2018, 2:24 pm

I see one builder in Udon who offers this - and seems quicker and cheaper to build.
Basically they create two 'framework' walls and pour concrete in to create them. Seems pretty widespread in the US for decades - and on large projects.
Questions:
1) anyone used this build method
2) wouldn't the concrete wall act bit like a radiator inside the house??

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Formwork building method

Post by Barney » April 22, 2018, 6:26 pm

gprit

Do you mean the type of preformed steel frame plus timber formwork in the photos of my fence build? Photos below
My missus went some where close and hired it for the builder. Used it for the columns and wall structure.
They most likely have different size formwork to suit many applications.
Attachments
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5697.JPG
2018-03-27-PHOTO-00013963.jpg

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » April 22, 2018, 6:27 pm

yes...that is the sort of thing.....we were looking at ASAP builders...

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 22, 2018, 6:33 pm

gprit wrote:
April 22, 2018, 6:27 pm
yes...that is the sort of thing.....we were looking at ASAP builders...
Ok
Maybe the builder hires it also, Not many builders would keep that asset sitting round.
We have for some time, on our build, bought and hired all the materials ourselves.
If you need a number to check the hire out let me know and I'll message back to the GF for a number.
Good luck with the build.

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » April 22, 2018, 9:28 pm

Yes...fine for boundary walls...but what about house walls? Is it not like a radiator to inside of house???

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » April 22, 2018, 10:46 pm

gprit wrote:
April 22, 2018, 9:28 pm
Yes...fine for boundary walls...but what about house walls? Is it not like a radiator to inside of house???
I would think not any hotter then current building practices using building blocks or bricks, the thicker the less heat I believe

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » April 23, 2018, 12:28 am

gprit wrote:I see one builder in Udon who offers this - and seems quicker and cheaper to build.
Basically they create two 'framework' walls and pour concrete in to create them. Seems pretty widespread in the US for decades - and on large projects.
Questions:
1) anyone used this build method
2) wouldn't the concrete wall act bit like a radiator inside the house??
Cement is far more expensive than blocks so can't see it being cheaper.
It would also be a lot hotter than something like a cavity wall or Thermalite block.
Also they would need to put a lot of rebar inside to make it stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » April 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

Thanks all - in Uk, for solid wall (terrace) houses) therer is an insulation scheme whereby insulation boards several cm thick are bolted to the outside of the walls and are then easily skimmed over. Ie keeps heat inside the house where no cavity present. Would do the same thing to keep heat out.....do these exist in Thailand? are they expensive?

johanthomsen
udonmap.com

Post by johanthomsen » April 23, 2018, 5:59 pm

Concrete can be used as you ask to build houses with where you can use the opposite way of holding heat in to hold heat out..
The insulation boards are used on the inside to work the same as a refrigerator, but as someone stated, that building like that is way more expensive then the way the build in Thailand, and it requires some expertise that probably is not known between the "normal" builders there...
Here where I live we only build our houses of poured concrete in framework which is a fast way to build, but you need to rebar the concrete properly.. Not just stick the random 2-3 iron bars down into the concrete..
The advantages of building that way is that the house is very very strong, and it works very good as a heat and cold insulator whatever you want it to be, but it is an expensive way to build like that in Thailand since I guess not many own proper framework and I have no idea what the sqm price of concrete is..
Here where I live it is actually cheaper to build houses with concrete then blocks, but that is because they have specialized in concrete building, and it is very fast if you have the big frames to pour into :)

Return to “House & Land”