2018 World Cup in Russia

General sports news and discussions.
Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: 2018 World Cup in Russia

Post by Giggle » July 12, 2018, 11:40 am

Zidane wrote:
July 12, 2018, 8:55 am
Croatia thoroughly deserved their victory.
Thank goodness. Imagine the cataclysmic ruination, the collapse of our universe, the end of mankind, if the victorious club didn't deserve to win.

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 12, 2018, 1:17 pm

".all I can say about Alli,Lingard and Kane is even Sterling played better than them."

Did you actually watch the game zid?

Both Alli & Lingard were given impossible jobs to do today. They were expected to chase the Croatian midfield both inside and wide and then when the pass went to the wing back they were expected to get back and cover that as well [-X [-X [-X
That may and did work against poor quality midfielders, but never stood a chance against midfielders of this quality.

SERIOUS mistakes by the management team who were too arrogant to realise that they had to change things against a far better opposition. Having gone into the game with an attitude that they will have to change to play us, at no time did they change their system to counter what was happening on the field. All three subs were made "like for like" forward for forward/holding midfield for holding midfield/wing back for wing back. Did they not see that Plan "A" was not working? Where was plan "B".

At least now all these "experts" and "pundits" can take off their Rose coloured glasses and put away their song sheets for another couple of years .......... and we arent going to get embarrassed by the froggies :-k

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 12, 2018, 3:14 pm

Yes, my waistcoat is going home (back to the shop) this morning.

England looked better in the first half, but started getting lax as the game went on. They missed chances in both halves. Scoring early does create the risk of players taking their foot off the ball so to speak. I thought in the second half they played too many long balls up, only to lose possession and put themselves back under pressure again.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 13, 2018, 12:28 am

No complaints from DM ... England failed to turn up on the big occasion and were deservedly beaten by an experienced well drilled Croatia who showed more passion , fight , talent and seemed fitter and quicker to the ball in most instances.

ONE MEANINGFUL SHOT ON TARGET IN 120 MINS SAYS IT ALL - THE BEST TEAM WON nothing else to say !! except ....

I would like to see Croatia win the WC but France with the pacey Mbappe n Griezmen up front and a more solid defence than England should see them prevail in the final .

Young n Sterling the biggest WC disapointments IMO but well done to Mr Southgate n his back oom staff for getting the boys to the semis.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 13, 2018, 4:43 am

DM you've just about summed it all up with that comment

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2018, 10:24 am

stattointhailand wrote:
July 12, 2018, 1:17 pm
".all I can say about Alli,Lingard and Kane is even Sterling played better than them."

Did you actually watch the game zid?

Both Alli & Lingard were given impossible jobs to do today. They were expected to chase the Croatian midfield both inside and wide and then when the pass went to the wing back they were expected to get back and cover that as well [-X [-X [-X
That may and did work against poor quality midfielders, but never stood a chance against midfielders of this quality.

SERIOUS mistakes by the management team who were too arrogant to realise that they had to change things against a far better opposition. Having gone into the game with an attitude that they will have to change to play us, at no time did they change their system to counter what was happening on the field. All three subs were made "like for like" forward for forward/holding midfield for holding midfield/wing back for wing back. Did they not see that Plan "A" was not working? Where was plan "B".

At least now all these "experts" and "pundits" can take off their Rose coloured glasses and put away their song sheets for another couple of years .......... and we arent going to get embarrassed by the froggies :-k
No need to get so ANALytical... Just look at the sequence of teams England played and their world ranking.

Tunisia... 21st. Cagey 2-1 win.
Panama... 55th 6-1 party time!
Belgium... 3rd. England's 2nd string lost 1-0 to Belgium's 2nd string. England's 1st string would probably have lost too so good that it was a 'throwaway' game.

Colombia... 16th. 1-1 after ET and needed penalties... but at least there's something about a monkey being off their back?
Sweden... 24th. 2-0 and probably just about the right result looking at Sweden's older team and lower ranking versus England's inexperience but curiously higher (12th) ranking.
Croatia... 20th. Needed ET but already lost the midfield in the 2nd half. Maybe since Modric left the EPL in 2012, they either forgot or never knew how bloody good he is? But Gareth knows.

Anyhoo... too early for these young lions but has been stated, a good start to a decade of good performances under a manager young enough to work both with the current 'youth' and those that follow... unless he 'follows the money' of course.

Since this is probably Modric's last WC, I hope Croatia beats the youthful French side who can wait another 4 years and have a right good barney with England.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 13, 2018, 12:17 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 13, 2018, 12:28 am
No complaints from DM ... England failed to turn up on the big occasion and were deservedly beaten by an experienced well drilled Croatia who showed more passion , fight , talent and seemed fitter and quicker to the ball in most instances.

ONE MEANINGFUL SHOT ON TARGET IN 120 MINS SAYS IT ALL - THE BEST TEAM WON nothing else to say !! except ....

I would like to see Croatia win the WC but France with the pacey Mbappe n Griezmen up front and a more solid defence than England should see them prevail in the final .

Young n Sterling the biggest WC disapointments IMO but well done to Mr Southgate n his back oom staff for getting the boys to the semis.

DM
FORGOT ... Despite all the VAR talk i think one thing to come out of this WC so far is the quality of the refereeing ... only a hand full of strange decisions (like allowing Diego fat druggie Maradonna into the ground at all) and VAR calls in the whole tournament and in general the man in the middle has been excellent ... some may not agree obviously.

Agree with Tam ... the now young England/France sides in the next Euro 2020 tournament will be interesting to follow.

FOR NOW ..DM would like to see a shock n doubtful Croatia WC win ....but im going for FRANCE 3-1 final.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 13, 2018, 1:30 pm

Fifa announced on Thursday there had been no positive drugs tests during the World Cup - again.

The fact that the Russian testing facilities have not found ANYONE guilty of drug taking in the last 75 years means that sportsmen/women everywhere are obviously "squeeky clean"

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2018, 1:35 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 13, 2018, 1:30 pm
Fifa announced on Thursday there had been no positive drugs tests during the World Cup - again.

The fact that the Russian testing facilities have not found ANYONE guilty of drug taking in the last 75 years means that sportsmen/women everywhere are obviously "squeeky clean"
Yeah but what about those Russian sportswomen/men?

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

The only reason the refereeing has been an acceptable standard is because there has been no English refs there. Had they been there they would have been ridiculed for their ineptitude. :evil:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 14, 2018, 8:05 am

I think playing for Liverpool is bringing out the scouse humour in Croatian central defender,Dejan Lovren…… :-k
I'm one of the best defenders in the world...... :yikes:

Croatia defender Dejan Lovren said Modric deserves to win the Ballon d'Or if they win Sunday's final, describing his team-mate as the "best midfield player in the world".
The Liverpool centre-back also believes he should be considered one of the world's best defenders. :roll:
Lovren, 29, made 43 appearances for Liverpool last season as they finished fourth in the Premier League and reached the Champions League final.
But he was criticised for some of his performances during the season, and received a death threat after October's 4-1 defeat by Tottenham.
"I think people should recognise that I am also one of the best defenders in the world and not just talk nonsense," he told Bein Sports. :?

Don't forget its Belgium Reserves against England Reserves tonight at 9pm Thai time.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » July 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Well they do reckon heading a ball has some negative effects on your ability to think properly,similar to a boxer becoming punch drunk :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 14, 2018, 5:13 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
July 14, 2018, 8:21 am
Well they do reckon heading a ball has some negative effects on your ability to think properly,similar to a boxer becoming punch drunk :D
I memory serves it was a complete lack of heading ability that led to most of Spurs goals :-k :-k

Perhaps he should look up John Carver (The best coach in Europe and probably the world) they would be dynamite together :lol:

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 14, 2018, 8:16 pm

Zidane wrote:
July 14, 2018, 8:05 am
Don't forget its Belgium Reserves against England Reserves tonight at 9pm Thai time.
If that involves Southgate omitting Young, Henderson, Sterling & Alli, in favour of Rose, Delph, Loftus-Cheek & Rashford and bringing in Trent Alexander-Arnold, for the injured Trippier, I am very much in favour of England fielding what Southgate would consider his reserves :-" :-" . Don't see any reason why Butland also shouldn't have a run out, notwithstanding Statts objection to such an outrageous suggestion :lol: , and maybe Dier share the match time equally with Delph. Obviously Kane will play, and so be in direct confrontation with Lukaku for the Golden Boot award.
However, I think, Zid you are completely wrong, in your implied opinion, this will not be a seriously fought match. On the contrary I think both managers will be expecting a maximum effort from their respective players. For that reason I expect Southgate to stubbornly stick, so far as he is able, to pick his 'favourite' players.
Incidentally, I agree with Lovren, ( for the first time ever),that Luka Modric, for several reasons, would be my pick for the Ballon d'Or. =D>

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 14, 2018, 8:27 pm

If Trippier is out then surely he has to play Walker in his proper position at wing back and play 3 centre backs as centre back............ I suppose that would be classed as thinking outside the penalty box

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 15, 2018, 10:59 am

Eden Hazard and family.jpg
Belgium 2 England 0
England got off to a shocking start after just 4 minutes when Rose let Meunier get goalside of him to put the Belgians in front.At that stage it looked as though England might be on the end of a thrashing as they struggled to contain the Belgian attack.
But they held on to 0-1 till half time when Southgate made two substitutions bringing on Lingard and Rashford for Rose and Sterling.England improved after the break and took the game to Belgium.Both Dier and Maguire had good chances to equalize but Belgium were always dangerous on the break and man of the match,Hazard,wrapped up the game with 10 minutes to go...….he'll be sorely missed by Chelsea when he joins Real Madrid next season.
Overall,not a great performance from England but they finish 4th overall which was well beyond expectations when the tournament started.
The big plusses for England in the matches overall were the performances of Trippier,Maguire and Pickford.Stones also had a good tournament and Loftus-Cheek showed promise for the future.Barring something incredible happening tonight,Harry Kane looks like picking up the Golden Boot award....he's done nowt in the last 3 matches,though.

So its the big Final tonight at 10pm Thai time.....Croatia v France....enjoy the game.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 15, 2018, 5:28 pm

The Poms had the dream draw to make the final but just not geed enough again. They promise so much and don't deliver.
I suppose 4th place will be taken as a positive though.

Tonight should be a cracker with the 2 best team having arrived at the final, these 2 teams will not leave anything in the tank at fulltime.
I'll go for perhaps the sentimental favourites in Croatia.
Will be in time to knock off work at 6 and get to the bar for the 7pm kickoff.
The movie theatres here in Dubai have the game on. I'll assume UT has the same.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 15, 2018, 9:52 pm

England did look as if they didn't know how to contain Belgium in the first half. Again they looked unsure as to how to proceed when they got to the Belgium penalty area. Belgium looked very competent.

Kane looked a bit lacklustre,- the TV commentators were suggesting he may be carrying an injury.

Just getting ready for the France v Croatia final.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 15, 2018, 10:27 pm

Well at 20 minutes in, it looks like a similar picture emerging with France v Croatia, as with France v Belgium. Croatia have had more of the possession and more attacks on goal, but haven't yet scored. Yet France have barely got going, but have scored a goal. (In fact a Croatia own goal by no 17, from a French free kick).......

Edit: He said, .... but Croatia have just scored, in the 27th minute, also from a free kick. So far 1-1.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 15, 2018, 10:48 pm

France gifted another goal, this time by an unjustified penalty for hand ball. It certainly didn't look deliberate. It looks like the referee was mislead by a series of "slow mo" replays on VAR.

A couple of corners to Croatia in the last few minutes of the first half keeping the pressure on France.

Half time score: France 2 Croatia 1.

Return to “World Sports”