Uncle Mustache

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
parrot
udonmap.com

Uncle Mustache

Post by parrot » August 30, 2016, 7:11 pm

We've been eating lahb at Uncle Mustache's for 18 years....and I suspect the place was in business a good number of years before we started. The shop is immediately next door to the mosque on SriChomCheun Road. We're such regular customers and creatures of habit that the staff knows what we want....lahb, dohm soht (beef soup), and seuah long hai (sliced grill beef), a coke, and sticky rice. But a week or two ago my wife spotted a dish at a nearby table and inquired. We ordered it. It's a beef soup, served over a charcoal pot in the center of the table, with plenty of large onion, basil, dill, lemon grass, chili pepper, and crushed grilled rice in a hearty beef stock.....oot pyeh (อุเพี้ย). It's a meal all alone.....but we still pigout with lahb and grilled beef.
Uncle Mustache has semi-retired, but his very capable sons have been running the business for a few years.
It's been my go-to-place when we have foreign visitors in town who want an authentic Thai dish.
My wife and I often walk in talking about ice-cream after lunch....but walk out too stuffed to do so.
Attachments
20160830_115016.jpg

nongkers

Re: Uncle Mustache

Post by nongkers » September 15, 2017, 2:37 pm

great review but where is it udon maps has no help

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 16, 2017, 10:13 am

If I remember correctly its here across from the prison on Srisuk. https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.40550 ... 312!8i6656 Parrot, please advise if I'm wrong..
Dave

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » September 16, 2017, 10:23 am

I'm thinking it's more than likely here, opposite the hobby shop.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Mu ... 8964?hl=en

Barry

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 16, 2017, 10:58 am

That's it, kakariki. The restaurant is to the immediate left of the mosque as you're facing the mosque. Closed Sundays. Dishes are 70baht, except ootpieh which is 80. Ootpieh is normally served kohm, so if you don't like it like that, ask for mai kohm . We usually get it mai kohm.
20 years, same family, never a disappointment

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 16, 2017, 11:03 am

parrot wrote:
September 16, 2017, 10:58 am
That's it, kakariki. The restaurant is to the immediate left of the mosque as you're facing the mosque. Closed Sundays. Dishes are 70baht, except ootpieh which is 80. Ootpieh is normally served kohm, so if you don't like it like that, ask for mai kohm . We usually get it mai kohm.
20 years, same family, never a disappointment
Might pop in on my next Goat Run

These places are little gems IMO

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”