Best places within 5 hours of Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 7861
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by tamada » November 27, 2020, 3:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 27, 2020, 11:15 am
No the topic is "What is the most fabulous hotel/place within 5 hours of Udon. I want to "wow" a friend for 3 days. The place should be quiet, friendly with good views and terrific food."

If you can find somewhere near Udon that would "wow" anyone for more than 5 minutes, that person is either lying or has led an exeedingly sheltered life and never been anywhere on holiday. Udon is a wonderful place for its people and friends,but it is certainly NOT somewhere to go to visit places or scenery
Apart from all that negativity, I understand the Mukdahan Mansion is now closed.



samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 515
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by samster » November 27, 2020, 3:43 pm

Wat Phrathat Pha Sorn Kaew is about 4/5 hours away and the drive there is through scenic country. Blue Sky Resort nearby is nice

User avatar
fatbob
udonmap.com
Posts: 2040
Joined: July 14, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by fatbob » November 28, 2020, 2:40 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 27, 2020, 11:15 am
No the topic is "What is the most fabulous hotel/place within 5 hours of Udon. I want to "wow" a friend for 3 days. The place should be quiet, friendly with good views and terrific food."

If you can find somewhere near Udon that would "wow" anyone for more than 5 minutes, that person is either lying or has led an exeedingly sheltered life and never been anywhere on holiday. Udon is a wonderful place for its people and friends,but it is certainly NOT somewhere to go to visit places or scenery
All I saw was best places within 5 hours of Udon.
If you don't have a place that impressed you then maybe best to say nothing? Just a thought.

User avatar
Shado
udonmap.com
Posts: 1709
Joined: January 22, 2007, 4:58 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by Shado » November 28, 2020, 3:29 pm

samster wrote:
November 27, 2020, 3:43 pm
Wat Phrathat Pha Sorn Kaew is about 4/5 hours away and the drive there is through scenic country. Blue Sky Resort nearby is nice
I second this suggestion. Phu Tub Berk is in the same vicinity and is also a very interesting and scenic excursion. Blue Sky Resort can also make suggestions for local eating places and places to visit.

ningnong
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: January 30, 2017, 7:53 am

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by ningnong » November 29, 2020, 4:20 pm

I agree Erawan Cave and Wat Phu Toc are both nice places for a visit but keep in mind you need a reasonable level of fitness to explore them. I found some of the stair climbs at Wat Phu Toc a bit of an adrenaline rush, extremely steep with narrow treads and you'd be screwed if you lost your footing. I helped a Thai woman who froze in fear half way up one of stair sections.

On the other hand I found Phu Tub Berk disappointing. In typical Thai fashion they took a place that at one time was very beautiful and trashed it. Vendors stalls set up blocking views, the main view point littered with trash. Not worth the drive and I'd never return there.

Geographically Isaan is definitely lacking the Wow factor. The best thing going for it are the super friendly laidback locals.

Hamma
udonmap.com
Posts: 30
Joined: June 7, 2018, 4:00 pm

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by Hamma » January 18, 2021, 7:39 pm

A fantastic resort close to the historical park in Sukhothai, very stylish, friendly:
https://sawasdeesukhothai.com/index.php?menu=home

User avatar
trekkertony
udonmap.com
Posts: 609
Joined: November 28, 2007, 4:25 am
Location: Australia

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by trekkertony » January 19, 2021, 4:06 am

Hi Merrill44,
Unsure how well travelled within Thailand your companion is but the area of Khao Yai meets your travel distance requirements and if you were to look up travelintern 35 magical things to do at Khao Yai, it may peak your interest. There are numerous 5 star accommodation options available that should impress.

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 515
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Best places within 5 hours of Udon

Post by samster » January 19, 2021, 4:04 pm

Hamma wrote:
January 18, 2021, 7:39 pm
A fantastic resort close to the historical park in Sukhothai, very stylish, friendly:
https://sawasdeesukhothai.com/index.php?menu=home
I stayed there last year. There are more up market and expensive resorts in Sukothai but, in the price range, this was good value. Owners were very nice people.

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”