Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 26, 2021, 11:08 am

Live update AP/RR intersection... 11am .. 26 April 2021

ON GOING ... New huge drainage pipes being laid (SLOWLY) Tap Nong Hin Duck noodle side..

Opposite side .. now a large gang of roadies laying shuttering so the Udon out bound side heading to NWS is reduced to one n half lanes so can be dikky when traffic coming from the airport expressway merges onto the ring road. How the shuttering is being laid possibly indicates one of these all singin all dancin new fangle concrete laying machine may be used relieving my cabin fever.

Completion before end of July (i think not) , Budget 29 mil bt :shock: .. confirmed by Duck Noodle guy via Tessaban officials who had brekky in his place this morning.

HEADS UP .. IMO the whole area is poorly lit at night with only illuminated neon arrows on the concrete bollards blocking off the right turn towards the airport at the traffic lights.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 26, 2021, 11:32 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 26, 2021, 11:08 am
Live update AP/RR intersection... 11am .. 26 April 2021
... How the shuttering is being laid possibly indicates one of these all singin all dancin new fangle concrete laying machine may be used relieving my cabin fever.
DM
No fookn chance. The Eastenders have the only one in captivity and we're not even near 10% done yet.
66089.jpg
You're never gonna get it.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 26, 2021, 11:52 am

Dont be so sure Tam .. the AP / RR intersection is of more importance than a skanky part of the Eastern RR on the ruff side of town ..

looks like a good 200 to 300m is now shuttered ready for the concrete .. cant imagine they would set that much if laying by hand.

DM

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » April 28, 2021, 8:16 am

So DM, is there a hard surface lane open today, heading towards town? Don’t really want to drive through mud if I can help it! Sorry to hear of the demise of the mud ramp leading in to that hiso pub there on the bend at paradise intersection! :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 28, 2021, 8:29 am

NO MUD TODAY
Road into town ii good ..hard n open..road out of town is hard but only half open as shuttered off ready to concrete.
Ramp is back and rolled ..the roadies are refusing to make a stone /gravel ramp as it will be resurface and paved in the future .. not before its been washed away numerous times in the rainy season.

The intersection is loved by many judging by how many visit .. the ramp however is of great importance for all the several businesses located there within not only the pub hence the speed the makeover is currently moving at is a tad annoying.

PipPipPip when you pass ..

DM

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » April 28, 2021, 8:07 pm

Thanks. I really like that nascar curve heading into town! 3-4 lanes wide, no lines, slight camber, no turn lane and the associated nuts trying to jump the Que turning from the fast straight thru lane. But that rampn area looked pretty bad.

Drove 2 1/4 hours up through Nong Kai town and up along the Mekong. Did not see 1 cop, except 2 guys seated at a table at the big road cone display where they have the main road down to 1 lane just inside Nong Kai province. Light to no traffic all the way there and back.

Very strong mask participation by people in cars, on bikes, even pedestrians. Clear up into the small villages in Nong Kai province 30 minutes S of the river. Fueled up, visited 2 7-11s, had a picnin with beer under the trees. Thais were drinking beer by pulling the mask down, chugging a bit, and putting the mask back up. First I have seen that level of committment. I assume it is fear of fines, or maybe just fear of the group from Udon!? :?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 28, 2021, 9:06 pm

I stood outside roadside several.hours waiting fir the pippippip n maybe a wave .. alas as darkness fell i dissapointedly went inside for a werthers original n cuppa yorkshire tea ..

Big rain firecsst overnight n tamorra morning so bye bye ramp.again

Dm

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 29, 2021, 7:36 am

Drove into town yesturday . Had to take the 4x4 as i have a nice six lane sea of mud to plough through before i can get get to the main road , thanks to the Temple road widening and Kham kling bypass .
Anyways very little on the roads , and it was a joy driving again . Like turning the clock back 16 years or so , except for the ridiculous mask wearing in my own vehicle . Still its is the law , and the bizzies were out in force !!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 29, 2021, 9:56 am

When that 'Nascar' curve is done and dusted, traffic's gonna absolutely steam past the Tap and the beerhunters will be thinking, "I'm sure it said it was around here somewhere." Then, while they're fiddling with Google maps, one will see Chris's Place sign and say, "Ahh, this must be it."

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 29, 2021, 10:10 am

Looking at the lay out it certainly will be a Nascar bend in fact it is at the moment with the lights on flashing amber ..alas the traffic lights are here to stay thus will slow everyone down ... well except the colour blind and the 18 wheelers that ignore the lights anyway.

circa 10am .. traffic very quiet here .. ramp surprisingly still ok ... not a roadie cone ###### to be seen nothing being done ...its not labour day already is it ??

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 29, 2021, 12:13 pm

Found myself looking more at all the oncoming vehicles earlier. Quite surprised at the number of masks I saw through the untinted windscreens. It was certainly the vast majority.

Surprised also the number of motorcys with masks too. Quite a few still not wearing skid lids but it’s a start. Strange how the wearing of masks seems to be followed but the use of head protection isn’t
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 29, 2021, 4:13 pm

No change there then mask wearing predominate since last year. Helmets almost never , in the last 20 years.

#

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 29, 2021, 4:21 pm

Roadies just turned up ??? unloading hundreds of steel mesh reinforcing sheets .. looking like being stored in rather a dangerous place to me .. outside Nong Hin school on the road in front of the grass island .. if not well lit this could be a real issue for any unsuspecting driver not concentrating using the udon outbound carriageway or leaving the AP going towards NBLP.

No workers at all today on the drainage job Udon inbound side .. at this rate twill be July 2022 completion not 21.

Seems like the East side has the A team with Del boy , Rodney and Trigger here on the West side..

Bearing in mind its quite a big project the whole area is very poorly lit .. take extra care if traveling this route at night.

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 29, 2021, 4:56 pm

at the mo just marked with a few cones .. no lighting yet .. see what darkness brings .

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 29, 2021, 4:59 pm

surely on the grass island would have been safer ????

i will start to take a few pics of the fookwiffery that is bound to manifest over the next few days weeks months years.

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 12, 2021, 1:16 pm

Quick update on the current marvelouso splendido AP/RR intersection make over ...

Work is most certainly ramping up with 2 new concrete lanes on the outward bound side now laid they have today moved over to the inbound side .. must say its pretty clear different contractors are being used for the road laying to the ones doing the drainage laying ..the difference between the 2 gangs is like chalk n cheese with the road concrete team really operating at full steam ahead making a great solid job (much stronger and quicker than the concrete slab laying machine East side cowboys).... alas the drain laying boys are still tied up in port with minimal daily progress..

Still nice to report very little / close to zero traffic hold ups thus far.. and good for Daos smoothie stand at paktien.

Sorry no pics ..too bloody hot

July completion ???????? the jury is still out

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 12, 2021, 3:06 pm

The A-team's east ring road progresses glacially but it does look like an uber professional job. The lower bit from Nittayo flyover, past Romyen to the Nong Bua/Nong Sai lights is still single-lane, each-way but has seen some trenching and concrete pipe laying in the new, narrower central reservation. The horizontal drilling and plastic drainage pulling contractors (purple lorries and work gear), have been busy working from north to south on the southbound hard shoulder (between the road and the klong). However, their efforts on the sink hole under the Global lights intersection continues to be a work in progress with up to three back-hoe's knuckle deep in the abyss. They may punch through to southern Peru anytime now.

The high-tech paver (that the westenders can't afford) has been working north of the Nong Bua/Nong Sai lights for over a week with a two separate, short strips laid on northbound side. Single-lane, each-way from the Shell station all the way to Nittayo now.

After demolishing the southbound two-lane bridge just east of the PTT station just after the north flyover, the piling has been done but bugger all else for weeks now so the chicane still exists. Maybe they are prefabricating big sections of the replacement 3-lane bridge so that it that will be trucked, craned and dropped in place relatively quickly?

What? I can dream can't I?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » May 12, 2021, 4:31 pm

Traversed the city a few times today on a wild goose chase & traffic has been really quiet.
At one point I’d even aleady parked the car so decided to walk across the Posri Road/ Sai Uthit Riad/ Pokanosum Road 4 way crossroads & there was no drama
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 18, 2021, 3:30 pm

Must say while ive been away the roady guys have been getting famously at the intersection of perfectly hand laid concrete , much better than the East side shoddily machine laid shambles ..

Now down to one single lane each side for traffic use but still no major hold ups even at peak times...little or no traffic after 8/9 pm with most staying home.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 18, 2021, 6:35 pm

Looks like the east ring-road is down to single lane all the way from Big C Nittay floover to the entrance to Global House. That's on BOTH sides. The u-turn at HomePro is closed and it won't be long before the poorly marked one at the Shell station gets closed. Luckily, with less traffic due to the (undeclared) current lockdown, it remains mostly manageable but if/when schools reopen will be a challenge for some.

Looks like they have pulled the steel caissons and filled in the abyss at the Samphrao corner at the Global lights. However, it looks very, very muddy still and that's without any recent rain. The bollards are still up so I reckon she's gonna blow again (if not already).

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”