Avis Udon Airport - Credit Card cloning warning

General Udon Thani topics only!
tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Avis Udon Airport - Credit Card cloning warning

Post by tinpeeba » December 4, 2008, 4:42 pm

If you're thinking of using Avis at Udon Airport have a look at this blog first!

http://nuevofarang.blogspot.com/2008/12 ... al-of.html

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Avis Udon Airport - Credit Card cloning warning

Post by beer monkey » December 4, 2008, 6:35 pm

Been there done that....several years back though.

Same happened to me...again with two cards,i was back in the uk ,Visa Credit was first got a call from Visa asking where i was in the world did i fly from Bangkok to Oz etc blar blar blar i am not in Oz i am in bed in UK...and it turns out my card had been cloned ok no worrys...the card company took care of things.

now a few years after same same thing again same bank but Mastercard...get a statemant through with amounts i didn't spend...ok so now i am thinking where did i use that card..Mmmmm only 2 places BOTH in Udon 1 was at The Car hire place mentioned and the other place was the Big UK branded supermarket in Udon...then thinking back about the other cloned card, now i only used that in a few places and 1 place was Udon at the car hire place mentioned above...and when i returned some months later the main man at the Udon desk(who had been there ever since i have been coming to Udon) had gone..solly he no work here no more...wonder why. :-k
Coincidence 2 cards used at the same places a few years apart..you decide,did pass my thoughts onto the banks fraud section but never heard no more,But It Happens and always use credit cards and not your debit card 1 is your own money and the other belongs to the bank.
Thailand is high on the list for card cloning..beware.

Never had a problem since though.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » December 4, 2008, 6:51 pm

Well done that man. Well persevered. =D>

It now needs a police follow through/swoop on the Avis desk at Udon airport. :fryingpan:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 4, 2008, 6:58 pm

I wonder if Avis International are aware of what goes on, and what they are doing to combat it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 4, 2008, 7:07 pm

I am not sure if it's cloning or abuse of the arcane system of swiping your plastic twice, once for a 'security' deposit (refundable at rentals end) and the second time for the actual rental total. All the other Thai car rental agencies do this and I have only ever seen this done in Cuba. Other countries you just present your card and sign once.

But thanks for the heads up as I rented from Avis UTH earlier this year and although there's been no hanky panky (so far) I will keep checking that account for unusual activity.

I think they have probably one bad employee that's retaining that 'security' receipt and running some charges before cancelling it through their system?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 4, 2008, 7:12 pm

Yes and that guy is bottom of the heap...probably only raking in a few hundred baht for supplying details, which is probably a big enough carrot.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 4, 2008, 7:32 pm

Does anyone really think it is within the wit and competence of the local BiB to investigate such fraud. [-(

A "victimless" crime, which I am sure would only be followed up if suitable incentives were offered.

AVIS should be the better avenue, with a paper (email) trail which could be out on the internet to name and shame them if they are unwilling to take appropriate action against this villain.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 4, 2008, 8:25 pm

Caltex on Posri Road opposite the Chaeron Hotel, did me over twice in 1 week a few years ago, Visa rang me from Australia, to confirm some transactions that were suspect and yes they were. They tracked it all down to this place.

PTT just past the over pass on the Sakon Nakorn road, employees blantantly allowing forged signatures to be accepted having back dated the times on the EFTPOS.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » December 4, 2008, 8:37 pm

wazza wrote:Caltex on Posri Road opposite the Chaeron Hotel, did me over twice in 1 week a few years ago, Visa rang me from Australia, to confirm some transactions that were suspect and yes they were. They tracked it all down to this place.

PTT just past the over pass on the Sakon Nakorn road, employees blantantly allowing forged signatures to be accepted having back dated the times on the EFTPOS.
Thanks for the heads up on that Wazza. I use that one a lot and think I mentioned in an earlier post that they also try the 2-300 Baht already on the pump trick. I try to not use my credit card where they walk off with it and the transaction is not conducted before your eyes.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 4, 2008, 8:54 pm

I use the PTT (formerly Jet Jiffy) about 1km from the ring road on the UT - NK road. Used my CC probably 20 times, and never a problem. However, whenever I buy fuel (there and elsewhere) I follow my card to the EFTPOS machine, and watch what is happening.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 4, 2008, 8:56 pm

I walk with them when i use my credit card to make sure its not copied again etc....

I must admit i use the Esso near Mojos etc, good service, cleaning of windows, and 2 free 1.5 litre bottles of water on a full tank refill.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 4, 2008, 9:05 pm

ok, if you are dumb enought to use your credit or debit cards here, which i really don't know why anyone ever does, unless a necessity, which i have done a couple times...............anyway, if that necessity arises, what i do, is immediately after the transaction goes thru, i call and put a block on the card, until the next time i use it. i keep one card for atm withdrawals only, and always from a machine connected to a bank during banking hours, in case card gets eaten, then i can retrieve immediately.

also, if you keep two separtate accounts at same institution, you can move funds back and forth quite easily and free, thus using your cards as you need. a little bit of inconvenience, but well worth it. i booked rooms on sawadee, a trusted site, but when checking in, they wanted my card as security, after they verified it, i called, checked no transactions, then blocked it. which i will unblock next time i decide to use it. asked why i wanted to block it, i simply said i was in thailand and used it as a deposit, no questions asked, sadly, they are well reputed for this.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 4, 2008, 9:14 pm

" i keep one card for atm withdrawals only, and always from a machine connected to a bank during banking hours, in case card gets eaten, then i can retrieve immediately "

I went down this way a few years ago, lost my Kasikorn Card in the ATM machine attached to the branch.

Easy went into the branch and asked them to retrieve it pls, had passport etc to confirm who i am etc...

Sorry sir, cant be done the only people able to access the ATM machines are the security company and they will be arriving in approx 4 hours on their scheduled delivery / check. Called the K call centre, and they confirmed the same. Manager of the branch doesnt even have access to the ATM machines, bank policy according to him, as its a security issue.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 4, 2008, 10:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:Does anyone really think it is within the wit and competence of the local BiB to investigate such fraud. [-(

A "victimless" crime, which I am sure would only be followed up if suitable incentives were offered.

AVIS should be the better avenue, with a paper (email) trail which could be out on the internet to name and shame them if they are unwilling to take appropriate action against this villain.
I think you do the local bib much disservice here. Regards this national drive against drunk driving. My neighbour, a young Thai lad with the usual local taste for alcohol was caught at one of those random breathalyser checks and was nailed for 3000 baht. That is a whole lot of money for a farang, let alone a local. Also the case of the guy that worked with a security firm as an ATM restocker in the boonies. He decided to take some millions of baht for himself and his buddy and they left town. How did they track him down? They monitored his cellphone usage and he was busted in a hotel in Pattaya. Sure it aint the Met or NYPD but I have more confidence in the local cops now than I did when I discovered Thailand nigh on 30 years ago.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 4, 2008, 11:14 pm

I was wondering if the author of the blog (and BM) had booked the car in advance online with Avis since it would appear that the scammer is still working at their desk. When I rented, I booked the car online and as usual signed the 'security' and 'rental' charges. When I dropped off the car a day early, they refunded the difference to my credit card about a week later.

Maybe this thief focusses the sting on walk-up customers as they are not in the Avis 'system' and more easy to fleece as there's less checks and a smaller paper trail?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 4, 2008, 11:31 pm

Booked in advance,(By Phone back then)...as i always did, but only reserved a car and exchanged no money/details till i signed the papers at the Avis desk, my incident was about 4 years back and a change of staff has been had since then, always payed by card and you have to use a card for the 20k deposit.
Had been using Avis for almost 20 years too.
Never had no problems since back then though.

And i don't think 'they' worry too much about leaving a trail all they are thinking about is the few hundred baht they get for each set of details...whats the worst that can happen.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 5, 2008, 8:01 am

I had a similar problem in bangkok a few years ago and in talking to the international HQ, the car coy stated that booking over the internet is the safest way they control the cash flow you have a receipt and the local place has to honour it.
Saves hassle and many many major credit cards have deals with car hire anyway.
there are many many car hire plaes in udon for the occasional short rent, avis is NOT the cheapest Nor the best.

spaul
udonmap.com

Post by spaul » December 5, 2008, 3:10 pm

I had exactly the same problem with Avis at Udon airport. This was 7 years ago!
I paid by Visa. When I got my statement there was a 15GBP purchase at a grocery store then 1400GBP at a gold shop, both purchases made in Korea.
It could have only been Avis at Udon airport because the card had not been used anywhere else prior to it getting hammered.
My Visa card now is chip and pin - very safe - or so I'm told!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 5, 2008, 3:19 pm

I have a Bank of Audyah , Platinum Card with chip and never been asked to add my pin number to any transaction within Thailand.

Using any credit card in the UK, I always have to include the PIN.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 5, 2008, 5:05 pm

I think they start off with small purchases IE: the £15 at a shop then check to see if it is all working then go for the big one...same with my cards....small things THEN flights to Oz.. :roll:
It could have only been Avis at Udon airport because the card had not been used anywhere else prior to it getting hammered.
Yeah same here...but Always had excellent service and a few free half days.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”