Do you feel secure in Udon?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Aardvark
udonmap.com

Re: Do you feel secure in Udon?

Post by Aardvark » December 23, 2009, 5:20 pm

Marlowe wrote:Funny int'it? We all feel very safe here, but I don't know any friends or family who have been robbed in my small town in America. Maybe it is because they are usually crimes against property here, not persons; hence we don't feel physically threatened, and thus have a general sense of safety & security. Just a thought.

Also, no one in my hometown knows anything about the kind of poverty they have here - even our close neighbors. I sometimes wonder, how would I feel if someone moved in next door, built a (relative) mansion, drove a flash car, had a beautiful woman, flew around the world when he felt like it, and so on. Don't even think I'm making excuses for them, y'all, just sayin'.

I also cannot imagine a scene like the one that transpired shortly after my break-in here. There was a commemoration party in the soi, and the usual teenage louts were getting drunk and scrappy. The law told them to take it down the road, which they did. 5 minutes later we heard 2 shots, followed by one of the kids carrying his dead and bleeding mate down the road, with a bullet in his head. The shooter fled, of course.

There are many, many stories that never make it to print here. Like the one I just related. Or the one where a wealthy Thai family I know were robbed in BKK. The gangsters woke them all up in the middle of the night, tied them up, and sat them down in their house, then proceeded to rob them blind. Totally unthinkable, really, where I come from.

Turns out it was the construction workers (again) from next door, who had been clocking their comings and goings for weeks, while coveting their property, and hatching their plans. Remember Hannibal Lecter telling Clarice: (perhaps worthy of an extended quote here):

Hannibal Lecter: “First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?”
Clarice Starling: “He kills women…”
Hannibal Lecter: “No. That is incidental. What is the first and principal thing he does? What needs does he serve by killing?”
Clarice Starling: “Anger, um, social acceptance, and, huh, sexual frustrations, sir…”
Hannibal Lecter: “No! He covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer now.”
Clarice Starling: “No. We just…”
Hannibal Lecter: “No. We begin by coveting what we see every day.”

So why do I/we feel so safe & secure here, I wonder? One's gotta consider it a wee bit, I should think.

But of course, not obsess over it; or why live here, right?
Thanks Mate, I'll sleep better tonight :confused:

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 23, 2009, 6:54 pm

He has a point. What goes on in many communities is widely unreported.

It's part of the Thai truth-avoidance mindset. If we pretend it didn't happen, it didn't. Sabai sabai. :D

Thailand in general is far more dangerous than any place I've ever lived before. (perhaps I've lived a sheltered life, not.) I know this, but chose to remain here.

If you wish to convince yourself it's all smiles and hugs and cuddles, you're likewise, delusional. There are very dangerous people among us.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 24, 2009, 7:22 am

When I put my toe into the reporting world on the local cable network, I was surprised to find that the majority of crime was in fact Thai again Thai, not often was a Foreign household targeted, unless as previously reported on this post it was opportunistic.

I found that Thai's by their very nature are more likel;y to be opportunistic, eg:- workmen borrowing tools permanently, household staff using food or other items which they feel you no longer want, stuff left in unlocked cars when you go shopping, but also the reverse is true, pick-ups loaded with stuff in the back and no-one touches it, never seems to amaze me that.

Many of the crimes I touched on were drug related and often with a fatality at the end of it as well, as Paul said if one uses one head and is aware of the situation and do what any sensible person should do.
That is not to say that crime will not affect you but you cut down the percentage. You are more likely to be involved in a traffic accident really.

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » December 24, 2009, 2:21 pm

If you wish to convince yourself it's all smiles and hugs and cuddles, you're likewise, delusional. There are very dangerous people among us.[/quote]

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 25, 2009, 7:18 am

If you wish to convince yourself it's all smiles and hugs and cuddles, you're likewise, delusional. There are very dangerous people among us.
[/quote]

Some are on this forum as well...............................lol

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 26, 2009, 9:10 am

The only time i have felt, or been threatened in Thailand has been by farangs, not Thais. One more reason to avoid the bars! Opportunistic crime can happen anywhere, including our home countries. The only difference maybe is that some items not worth stealing in richer countries would be in Thailand. My only personal experiences of theft have all, with one exception, happened in the UK (3 burglaries, and a handful of items getting 'lost' in public places. My daughter was robbed twice in one year in Spain and my wife was also robbed there. I would certainly feel safer walking around at night in Udon than many other places.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 26, 2009, 11:14 pm

Some people feel insecure anywhere.

You know who you are.

clark1

Post by clark1 » January 5, 2010, 10:31 pm

lee wrote:
KHONDAHM wrote:Available anywhere in Udon? Cost?
The sell pepper spray, tasers, throwing stars and many other weapons at a stall next to the left-side entrance of the air-con building (Centerpoint night market). :shock:

I feel secure when i bring my barbarian sword to go there...

crazydrummerpauly
udonmap.com

Post by crazydrummerpauly » March 25, 2011, 12:11 am

Paul wrote:Mores the point, does anyone know of a farang who has been harmed in any way during an attempted or actual break-in to their property in Udon (or Thailand)All this talk of guns, knives, throwing stars etc... jeez man - this is Udon, not the Bronx !

Aside from basic precautions such as good locks on the doors, metal grills at the impossibly cheap windows and maybe even an alarm, or a dog - is there really any need for much else?

If I didn't feel safe without having a weapons stash and it was on my mind all the time that I might get assaulted, robbed or worse - I would have to question if I am living in the right country.
I can't believe this complacent post - the people i know who have been attacked in Nong Khai over the past 2 years goes into double figures - some of them hospitalised for serious injuries. One of them was beaten about in his own kitchen by a Thai with a gun ( my friend thought he was being stabbed until the intruder ran off ), when he returned from the gaia bar at 1 am - and his Thai wife, little girl, and ma-in-law were asleep upstairs. Street-attacks are now way too common in N.K.late at night. ( e.g., mut mee.) Fact. Soi-dogs are of course a different problem, but i'd like to warn everyone that the labrador-type dog in the corner-house to the right of Peck's bar ran out and bit a friend hard on the foot just last night - he was on a push-bile and needed hospital visit, and the usual medications. There was no warning, and it was around 9 pm, when many dogs are already tucked up for the night. Don;t know about feeling secure in Udon/or not - i don't feel secure in N.Khai of late.

crazydrummerpauly
udonmap.com

Post by crazydrummerpauly » March 25, 2011, 12:13 am

Oops - PUSH-BIKE !!!

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 25, 2011, 1:45 am

I dont feel insecure in Udon. As long as there are NO metaldetactors in discos, bars or any other
Udon establishments, the crime rate is much more lower comparing to most western countries.

Goodnight and sleep well :D
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » March 25, 2011, 6:40 am

crazydrummerpauly wrote:
Paul wrote:Mores the point, does anyone know of a farang who has been harmed in any way during an attempted or actual break-in to their property in Udon (or Thailand)All this talk of guns, knives, throwing stars etc... jeez man - this is Udon, not the Bronx !

Aside from basic precautions such as good locks on the doors, metal grills at the impossibly cheap windows and maybe even an alarm, or a dog - is there really any need for much else?

If I didn't feel safe without having a weapons stash and it was on my mind all the time that I might get assaulted, robbed or worse - I would have to question if I am living in the right country.
I can't believe this complacent post - the people i know who have been attacked in Nong Khai over the past 2 years goes into double figures - some of them hospitalised for serious injuries. One of them was beaten about in his own kitchen by a Thai with a gun ( my friend thought he was being stabbed until the intruder ran off ), when he returned from the gaia bar at 1 am - and his Thai wife, little girl, and ma-in-law were asleep upstairs. Street-attacks are now way too common in N.K.late at night. ( e.g., mut mee.) Fact. Soi-dogs are of course a different problem, but i'd like to warn everyone that the labrador-type dog in the corner-house to the right of Peck's bar ran out and bit a friend hard on the foot just last night - he was on a push-bile and needed hospital visit, and the usual medications. There was no warning, and it was around 9 pm, when many dogs are already tucked up for the night. Don;t know about feeling secure in Udon/or not - i don't feel secure in N.Khai of late.
Absolutely amazing!!!I have lived in NK for 7 years,ride my bicycle all over the city day and night,not once have I felt the slightest fear or been attacked!Yes,I have had dogs act aggressive a FEW times,never been bitten,I simply yell at them aggressively and they stop or hesitate as I ride away!I go by Peck's Bar 4-5 times a day,no problem.There have been incidents of groups of teenagers,in the past,that hung out in the remote area behind the hospital and attacked 2 elderly falangs on bicycles,that was a couple of years ago and they were bagged by the police shortly thereafter!A friends wife was bitten by a dog as she passed it a few years ago,guess what,the dog had just given birth to a batch of pups and was protecting her pups that were in the tall grass at the side of the road!
These events could happen anywhere in the World,especially in remote areas,at night and where groups of idle teenage boys of lesser economic backgrounds are hanging out viewing perceived rich elderly foreigners pass by regularly!
IMO,you have overreacted to what you have heard and you are giving a peaceful,nice ,laid back community a bad name!
Most incidents between Thais and falangs ,anywhere in Thailand,are a result of to much alcohol and derogatory confrontations by falangs that arrogantly do not understand Thai culture and customs!
If you leave your door open,display articles of wealth,get inebriated regularly,run your mouth like you own your space in this country,you will eventually find yourself in trouble,just like you would anywhere else!
I have never lived in a quieter,peaceful and relatively friendlier place than NK,since I was a teenager in a small town in California where we left our keys in the car and the house doors unlocked,but of course around the bar scene,there were plenty crime scenes!
I will admit that in the last few years,there has been a big influx of professional bar girl scenes as there are now 35 falang oriented bar/resturants in NK,many of them run by old pros from BK,Phuket and Patters!It seems that since their have been great economic disruptions in those places and the changes in ''visa run'',rules,we have a greater amount of falangs visiting that focus on the bar scene and we get the ''trouble'' that goes with it!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 25, 2011, 7:48 am

While I agree that of late the tempo has risen in some areas, Nong Khai and some portions of Udon Thani, in the main and generally Crime per se has not risen by that much.
Sure there are reported incidents of Thai against Thai including murder but they are fuelled by drink, drugs or both coupled with the Thai youth hotheadeness, does often lead to serious assaults.

Thai /Foreign incidents are rare, so rare in fact when it hits the press it is NEWS, especially here in Issan , in the capital and other seedier places like Phuket and Pattaya, it is the norm but when you take to environment it is not surprising.

One must remember that when the economy is lagging and the cost of basics are rising, opportunistic offences will rise, so even more vigilance is required to avoid problems. I saw a Farang the other day go shopping, every time he purchased items he took out an enormous wad of notes from his pocket, I would think approximately 30+ k, he was being looked at by many youths, when I mentioned in passing that was a bit silly in a nice polite way, he told me to bugger off. If something happened to him, he has in fact caused the problem by his blatant advertising.

So use your heads it will avoid many many opportunistic offenders and lock your house at night and keep attractive stuff out of view in your cars wherever you park them.

The best precaution is yourself but you have to think about it, not expect everyone else to take care of you.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 25, 2011, 10:30 am

Its quite funny this, but my Thai friends were discussing the very same topic the other evening . The consensus of opinion seemed to be , as KP said, petty crime is definitely showing an increase, the reason for this was attributed to mainly the use and obtaining of drugs, plus , and I was very surprised they had recognised this ,the greater materialistic expectations of the young .They backed this latter claim with examples of younger and younger teenage girls, being shacked up as mia nois in exchange for the latest mobile phone, motorbike or even , in some cases, a new car .This has led the boyfriends into crime in a desperate attempt to compete .So on one hand we have declining moral standards in the girls and more criminal activity amongst the boys .However they felt with proper cautionary measures it wouldn't affect their personal safety . What they all agreed on though, none of them would venture into the Farang drinking ghettos after dark where they truly felt they would encounter a physical confrontation .
So a view from over the fence which maybe we should all consider .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 25, 2011, 11:57 am

There's a fair share of crime reports on the internet.....lots of drugs, a rape near Ban Hansa, a break-in on Soi Jintakam....nothing earth shattering, but it's there. As a famous falang monk once said, "ไม่รู้อะไร สบาย" or, ignorance is bliss.

When we moved to Texas after 6+ years in Okinawa, we were shaken at the crime in our city. First 10 minutes of the evening news was major crime....something almost unheard of in Okinawa. Despite living in a safe neighborhood, when you hear daily crime reports on TV, you start locking your doors and checking your rear.

There's always been a fair share of crime in Udon, affecting expats and Thais alike.......most of us just don't hear about it.

That being said, Udon is about as safe a place as any we've lived in, with the exception of Okinawa.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 25, 2011, 12:14 pm

The better half was telling me the latest gossip and crime news just yesterday. Her brother was picked up along with others because somone's mobile was stolen in the village. That was a shocker as it is the third crime within the past year. The first being a bag of rice stolen from said brother. Petty, yes, but a big deal in the village! The rumored motive was likely yaba.

I recently watched a documentary about the drug (aka crystal meth, ice, etc.) and how it puts crack cocaine to shame. It is much cheaper to make and can be produced in large quantities with over the counter ingredients like cough suppressant tablets. The high is intense like crack but lasts for up to 12 hours. It is not uncommon for Thai construction workers to take it as it makes them want to constantly do something. Thinking back on it, I am sure at least 3 people working on my house last year were very likely taking yaba. Always doing something and out of character mood swings.

With the new construction going on in preparation for the bullet train coming through in 2016, I would not be surprised if crime continues to rise. In Pattaya, the problem has been exacerbated by migrant workers who came during the building boom and stayed, but can no longer find work. It's now a high crime area which is a 180 from just 10-12 years ago. Will Udon follow the same path? I do not know.

I do know, according to the wife, a lot of crimes near the Laos border towns are Laotians who repeatedly come into Thailand for a score and head back over the border. Perhaps this is what you are seeing in NK?

I also know that it is better to have security and not need it than to need it and not have it. Without being overly paranoid, when in any country where you are the outsider, you should always watch your back because somebody might be doing same...the best safety is vigilance!

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » March 25, 2011, 1:36 pm

I have never heard of any trouble with Laotians in NK.There was a murder 4-6 yrs.ago of a couple that claimed to be part of the Laos Royal family!If I remember right,the ''hitmen'' were nabbed later on and claimed they were paid 200K!

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » March 25, 2011, 6:23 pm

Talk with Tourist Police or there volunteers, And hear!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 25, 2011, 6:34 pm

Actually Frans talking to the Police is rather pointless unless you go to the top. Whenever I read the TV news, getting information about any newsworthy crime was like squeezing orange juice from a lemon. They ( the Police ) always play their cards close to the their chest their information was at best sketchy, which leads me to really beleive that generally the rank and file have not got a clue. Plus when in fact do you ever really see a Police officer at night in the town, slightly less rare than Rocking Horse Pooh.

So ones personal safety is in your hands be it house,car,etc|:- Precaution is the word and Alert is the operating stance to take . Get a dog or two I have seven it works. The 3-5 kilo ones make a lot of noise it is the 49 kilo one that gets hungry for fresh neat.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 25, 2011, 6:44 pm

Khon Dahm, one surprise to me was to hear that a number of farmers, mostly male but also some females, take yaaba. This is from a source who lived as a farmer just outside Sukhothai. Maybe it is different in other parts of Thailand.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”