Do you feel secure in Udon?

General Udon Thani topics only!
polehawk
udonmap.com

Do you feel secure in Udon?

Post by polehawk » March 3, 2009, 10:28 pm

Sitting out back under the stars tonight with my dogs at my side, looking out at the back wall and wondered to myself....is this a secure place to live?

My answer? Hell, yeah! Read about the poor guys who were shot down in Phuket and Pattaya recently. Unreal, Thai mafia hits or whatever. Looked at the walls around this place with the uninviting spikes at the top. Someone gets over those then they have a couple of not-too-nice dogs, a pit bull and a ridgeback, to contend with. Then there's the windows with bars. Finally, there's the crazy SOB inside with a machete and an unnamed weapon, ready and waiting. The weapon? His Toyota PANIC button on the remote! :D

Anyone else have a contingency plan in effect?

Looking for a Roscoe

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Do you feel secure in Udon?

Post by rick » March 3, 2009, 10:44 pm

ok, when in udon I an just a tourist, but frequently walk even at night. Never felt threatened. We hear lots of trouble from Pattaya, but Udon? Maybe one for our tourist police members - what real crime have you had to deal with here (i.e. not accidents) other than drunken punch-ups? All i can remember is the mugging in soi Nong Bua a short while ago.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 3, 2009, 10:54 pm

Keep that Pollyanna attitude and MAYBE you will be alright. More goes on then you surmise, pal. Money laundering, for example. Left some 20 baht notes in my trousers and NEVER got them back.

I was asking if the true residents had a contingency plan for invaders in the night. Well.....
Last edited by polehawk on March 4, 2009, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » March 3, 2009, 11:04 pm

Do I feel secure? Yes.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 3, 2009, 11:17 pm

Yeah? What part of Udon do you live in?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » March 3, 2009, 11:44 pm

I feel pretty secure... Humans don't bother me. I'm cynophobic so dogs are my biggest fear. To walk to my local Thai watering hole I pass a house with what seems like a pitbull. A snarling vicious little ba5tard and I'm sure he is gnawing his way through the wire on the gate bit by bit.

I never feel threatened here. I keep a Tazer in the wardrobe... Hope I never have to use it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 4, 2009, 12:24 am

I think we are neighbors, IA. You're not a German, tho? Must have been the bats then. 8)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 4, 2009, 6:26 am

I feel secure. 1st defense is my Pit Bull Petey who has run of the house and sleeps indoors. After that it's a chunk of wood and mace which I keep in our bedroom.

About 3 or 4 months ago we had an attempted break-in through the kitchen window, the thieves removed the window panes but I suspect they never made it in because Petey was sitting outside the kitchen door growling. Coincidentally the break-in occurred not longer after the home delivery of a 40" LCD TV. I suspect it was the delivery guys, Petey wasn't in view when they brought the TV in the house.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » March 4, 2009, 6:37 am

Gents,, are there any basic security systems/alarms for sale at the complex/mall electronic shops? A very basic alarm horn with wired or remote door/window switches and small battery backup should do the trick. I've looked in electronic stores on trips to Muang Thai but I really wasn't interested in security alarms or systems so don't remember seeing any. The basic systems are really easy to set up.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 4, 2009, 7:29 am

I woudl say 95% of the time but I don't do the bar scene, didn't feel to secure when the idiot tried to run over us with a car on the bike.

Have a house sitter when we leave so the house is never empty. Feel secure with that and the two dog.

I will remind averyone that barglary is not a pleasant experience but things can be replaced. Having a loved one harmed is a very different experience.

I noted that Thai's seem to be much agressive then they have in the pass from what I have seen and read. The bottom line is walk away if it dsnlt d feel righ before in escalates. They are many who resent us here becuase of what we have and what we have said. Including on the forum.

Might as well accept we are not as welcome as we were a few years back and adjust.

As the population of farrang grew not all that came were really good neighbors, those are the ones the Thai's remember, We lump them into a group they do the same to us.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » March 4, 2009, 7:46 am

well if I decide to buy a Plasma TV I will deliver it my self thank you Rito
I have all my in laws living around my new house and I am not living in it yet
but I am still concerned about a break in. I will NOT get a dog.
I think a machete about 60 C/M (2ft) long should be enough to handle would
be burglars

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 4, 2009, 7:58 am

I don't think we were ever welcome,generally speaking!As times get tougher and as time passes with our presense here,the feelings behind the ''smile'' leak out!
We have always been the scapegoat for the ills of this society as the ignorant folfk have always been fed a load of proganda that shifts blame from the greedy buzzards that lead and control the country!

If they feel or see a direct benefit from our support as customers or suckers,then we feel welcome,otherwise,IMO,most Thais would prefer we go back where we come from!

For me,I will keep ''my World''small in relationship to dealing with Thais and live my life here until they throw us out!

Tourists are welcome to come holiday and throw away their money!Expats get ''to smart''to fast and are a sore spot and scapegoat for the country!

That is not to say some of the drunken obnoxious behavior by many falangs endear us to the Thai population either,but their ready supply of ''illegal sexmates'',counterfeit goods and outright hospitality lies have attracted most of the falangs ,good and bad!

Of course those that come here ,play buddhist,bow , scrape and embrace Thai ''culture'' as virtuous and enlightening,warm and friendly,love all the temples and dogsh1t will probably object to my obvious ''cynicism''.but I don't give a hoot!They are welcome to their opinion and their life,I will take care of myself and mine with or without objection!

This is my rant,like it or lump it! =;

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 4, 2009, 8:42 am

Sitting out back under the stars tonight
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
had a contingency plan for invaders in the night
i have a knife or mini bb bat/club positioned around the house, so no matter, i can get to something if surprised. the landlord has the place fairly secure, w/steel grate doors inside and out w/padlocks. leave laptop and small electronics in house when out and about. before i used to take them, as only things that could be taken, the rest had to be carried over that wall, not worth the hassle, next house. 8)

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 4, 2009, 9:04 am

I would say I feel secure.They can see by my old car. and old m/c in the drive and simple two bedroom house.They all know here I am the Poor Farang of Udon.
Those in a good financial position are at more risk.Like 20,000,000 house, swimming pool,Top of the range motor in the drive.Good pickings for a smart bugler!
I think if someone broke in here, they would leave me some money on the table, in pity. :cry:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 4, 2009, 9:28 am

in answer to the original poster , my answer would be a overwhelming YES . ive never felt safer anywhere . now i realise the thais are paranoid about crime and think there is now a crime wave sweeping the country , but compared to where i lived in britain , this truly is in the main a law abiding country . where i come from the chances of you being burgled are 33% , and if your unfortunate enough to be one of those 33% , the chances of being burgled again within six months is 80% . a country where car theft is an epidemic , where muggings on the street are an everyday accurance , where youth vandalism is out of control . so you can see the logic to my feelings of safety and well being here !!!! i dont sit behind a high security wall with spikes on it , i dont have window bars cuz i dont want to live in a prison , i dont have weapons stashed all over the house , in case . all i have for security is a rottwhieler . as far as im concerned that is more than enough to deter any thai even thinking about entering my property uninvited . now ive read the responses to the original post and have come to the conclusion , that a lot of you think your senior rambos. to those i would suggest eating and drinking less , and working out more !!!!! before you even think about tackling a young fit intruder . git makes the most sense , if your unfortunate to be a victim , let them take whatever , goods can be replaced , human life cannot !!!!!! the only weapon that would be worth having to defend your property is in my opinion a gun. i know they are available on the black market , but i would not want to be caught with one !!!!! think about all the people you know or have known since living here , and ask yourself how many have been the victims of a violent crime . then think about where you came from and ask yourself the same question . do you not think this topic is bordering on the paranoid ?????

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » March 4, 2009, 9:51 am

Growing up in Manchester, with all it's violence, crime and fighting, I feel that Udon is 1000 times safer.

Plus I don't go out much at night. :fryingpan:

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » March 4, 2009, 9:54 am

I feel very safe here; certainly safer than Bangkok.

I'm not sure I will feel the same after I poison the local dogs, but there you go...

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 4, 2009, 12:30 pm

Most crimes are petty and opportunistic crimes and as a result of leaving something expensive lying around (say perhaps in the garden, or a window open in the night times).

The kind of house ransacking that goes on in our home countries is relatively rare here and of the very few people I know who have had something stolen from their house - mostly was things like phones and cash and was a result of leaving an 'open opportunity' for the thief.

I am wondering how many forum members have been burgled ?and of those how many were major house ransacks? where the whole house gets trashed and turned upside down - everything of value is taken - TV, computer etc etc .....

lets see how many respond..........

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 4, 2009, 12:46 pm

agree, most thefts are just opportunist, and usually everything fits in pockets or a bag, and they're done. most are inside job, or a recent maintenance or delivery person. as far as vans and pick ups cruising the neighborhoods and cleaning you out, don't think it happens often.

me, no losses yet. had that big arse wall before, and now, secure gating, few windows. very safe. 8)

just need someone to water the damn plants when away for more than a month, more cactus. :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 4, 2009, 12:58 pm

Happened before we moved out here in paddyland but a German neighbor's dogs were poisoned and his house was burgled while he slept. Cleaned out from what I heard, secondhand information. Other neighbors think it was an inside job.

Personally, never been burgled. Suspicious night-time "visitors" a couple of months ago. Doorbell rang at 12:30 am while we were sleeping. Walked out into the yard and yelled, "Who is it?". Wife followed me and began having a loud conversation with at least a couple of Thai guys. She said they sounded drunk so I told her to tell them to go away or I was calling the police. They kept yakking so I went inside and released our two dogs (kept them inside during a cold spell) and the dogs began to bark aggressively. Heard the motorcycle outside the wall take off. Maybe just a couple of lost drunks, I dunno, but dogs stay outside every night now earning their kibble. Removed the doorbell the next morning. Neighbors advised that we shouldn't open the gates if we don't know who it is out there.

Senior Rambos? :lol: Wait a minute. Rambo is now 60 years old! My weapon of choice is the Toyota remote with the Panic button. Ever hear one go off? Will wake the dead and the neighbors. Damn, forgot to use it the night we had visitors. Paranoia? Yeah, maybe a little of that, too. Doesn't hurt to have some sort of plan though.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”