Latest Udon BIB Scam

General Udon Thani topics only!
macduff
udonmap.com

Re: Latest Udon BIB Scam

Post by macduff » May 25, 2009, 3:17 pm

Come to think of it guys i was parked in the opposite direction but that wasn't the reason why they clamped me and put a notice on the windscreen (in Thai obviously )as there were other vehicles on the same street and parked in the same direction but when myself and the girlfriend found a policeman to find out why .We were taken to the police station which was about 50 yards away around the corner out of sight. I was told i could either pay 500 bht and get a receipt or 300baht no receipt.The policeman said to me do you know the reason why you were clamped.I replied no.He said i was parked awkwardly and that i have to be more careful next time i park. I know for a fact that i always take care when parking whether it be udon or UK. The funny thing about it, the girlfriends sister and 2 year old daughter were in the pickup at the time of the clamping.I would also say maybe the rental sticker on the windscreen and fact i was spotted leaving the vehicle sealed my fate

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2009, 3:25 pm

I was stopped recently in Udon, and issued a ticket for going through a red light that was clearly green at the time.

As I declined to pay on the spot, the one of Thailand's finest took possession of my IDP, and said I could get it back at the station.

As it expired some time ago, and I have a new one, I have generously decided he can keep the document, and I will keep the tea money in my wallet for the time being.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 25, 2009, 3:28 pm

jackspratt wrote:I was stopped recently in Udon, and issued a ticket for going through a red light that was clearly green at the time.

As I declined to pay on the spot, the one of Thailand's finest took possession of my IDP, and said I could get it back at the station.

As it expired some time ago, and I have a new one, I have generously decided he can keep the document, and I will keep the tea money in my wallet for the time being.
As is customary in Thailand you might find the fine plus an additional penalty for not paying is added when you try to renew the vehicle tax.Just a thought.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2009, 3:30 pm

Thanks Val - I will keep that in mind.

I think I have 30 days to pay.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » May 25, 2009, 3:52 pm

I would say get the darkest tint on your vehicle and wear a paddy field hat whilst driving \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 25, 2009, 4:12 pm

macduff wrote:I would say get the darkest tint on your vehicle and wear a paddy field hat whilst driving \:D/
And that's just in case I see vlad in town :D

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Latest from the Boys in Brown

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 25, 2009, 4:37 pm

jackspratt wrote:
BobHelm wrote: Law in UK says if you run into the back of a vehicle you are at fault, no ifs, no buts - car infront can just stop (for no reason) if you run into it you are liable, as it is your responsibility to leave sufficient stopping distance at all time....
Same same Austraya.
Not always Jack and that's from personnel experience. I near on totaled the car whose arse I ran up and had 2 police as witnesses. His insurance company admitted 100% liability after a fight. I lost nil 'no claim bonuses'. Will tell you the whole story over a beer.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 25, 2009, 4:43 pm

saint wrote:rufus , i think youve had your pants pulled down old son !!!!!!! i dont know about the law as such , but as far as insurance companies are concerned here in toyland , what bob says about the U K , is the same here , whoever hits you up the bum is at fault ....... because this was a roadblock , might be differant but i very much doubt it . the old bill do make me laugh at these roadblocks , they stand there waving thier arms about like windmills and expect you to comprehend what it is they want you to do . :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: Yep,I take those hand signals as directions to drive around them ,not stop!So far I have been right everytime,at least 40 times!Legitimet stops the car are usually channeled in line single file with many police in attendance,thos police that jump out in front of you waving you over are money stops only!Usually 2-4 police with one vehicle!The only time I am going to stop is after I see them in my rear veiw mirror running for their vehicle,which has never happened!I am talking about open highway stops,not in town police stops!

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » May 25, 2009, 5:33 pm

macduff wrote:I got fined 300bht in the centre of udon thani for parking too close to the kerb.
Against the law. So that explains why the Thai park 2 to 3 foot away from the curb? :-k I thought it was because they were just bad drivers. Good thing I didn't call out the BIBs a couple of weeks ago then. Pulled up in front of a kwahtiew joint across from Cliff's place and heard a loud hissing. Got out to look and saw that a sharp piece of metal that was anchored into the side of the curb had reached out and sliced the side of my tire like a hot knife going through butter. The tire was history, of course. Apparently the piece of metal was used to tie down the hole-in-the-wall restaurant's awning when sun was shining on that side of the street. Restaurant owner ignored my suggestion to get a hammer and pound down the offending metal shrapnel. No apology rendered either. Thought about calling the poleet but found a local guy who changed the tire for 100 baht so left to shop for a tire. :censored:

Moral: be careful of the booby traps.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » May 25, 2009, 6:11 pm

Well i think lessons learned here guy's. Park awkwardly three feet from the kerb at an angle with the arse sticking out against the traffic. You maybe lucky and find a motorbike or two on your pickup. But hey it's not your fault it's within the Thai law,and anyhow the bikers should've been looking where they where going ](*,)

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » May 25, 2009, 10:58 pm

And knock out one of your headlights and don't renew the insurance for a few years and shave all the tread off your tires and drink heavily before every operating your car.

Fitting-in is key.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 25, 2009, 11:14 pm

There is a speed camera ? or at least a red light runner camera on Soi Nong Bua intersection of the ring road.

Makes sense if they cant read the plate , to issue the notices , so fine the offenders on the same road

A good PR thing for the BIB would be to place a few picts of the red light runners etc. showing the problem

The law applies in Australia, must be able to see the entire plate and details, no flims / plastics allowed over them, to reduce the IR from the speed cameras etc

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 25, 2009, 11:16 pm

Oh yeah, I dont think its a scam, just upholding the law precisely.

But when oh when, will the helmets be. Wont be in my lifetime, while money talks, it wont be fixed.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » May 26, 2009, 2:51 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:
saint wrote:rufus , i think youve had your pants pulled down old son !!!!!!! i dont know about the law as such , but as far as insurance companies are concerned here in toyland , what bob says about the U K , is the same here , whoever hits you up the bum is at fault ....... because this was a roadblock , might be differant but i very much doubt it . the old bill do make me laugh at these roadblocks , they stand there waving thier arms about like windmills and expect you to comprehend what it is they want you to do . :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: Yep,I take those hand signals as directions to drive around them ,not stop!So far I have been right everytime,at least 40 times!Legitimet stops the car are usually channeled in line single file with many police in attendance,thos police that jump out in front of you waving you over are money stops only!Usually 2-4 police with one vehicle!The only time I am going to stop is after I see them in my rear veiw mirror running for their vehicle,which has never happened!I am talking about open highway stops,not in town police stops!
i was also wandering when i get to a road block ,and see the police waving there hands at me ,whether it means to stop or keep going.
in the end i just keep going until i see them chasing me.
i am sure they will jump in fromt of the car if they want me to stop,and that did happend to me on one occation.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 27, 2009, 10:05 am

The way the police here set up some of these road blocks, with insufficient warning of lane closures or
'narrowing', seems to increase the likelihood of an accident. The picking and choosing of who they want to stop and drivers then rejoining the flow in typical Thai fashion - what a mess! ](*,)

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » May 27, 2009, 11:24 am

Yea the hand signals and arm waving are impossible to comprehend. I usually just slow to a crawl until I figure it out. I guess it takes time. It's like the wife signaling me to come. I used to think she was saying bye-bye so I'd say ok, see you later and try to escape.

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » May 27, 2009, 12:49 pm

They were robbing people on the NW section of the ringroad (anti-clockwise) yesterday. I don't know if these were different thieves to the usual lot, as I have never even been looked at before let alone waved at.

Anyway, one of them wanted me to make a contribution to their fund yesterday, the cheeky git.

It didn't happen though. [-(

Thaitanium

Post by Thaitanium » July 1, 2009, 12:54 pm

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » July 1, 2009, 2:22 pm

^ Who's the jerk who keeps on saying "yeah, daddy"?

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » July 1, 2009, 2:25 pm

Yeah I thought that too, bit dark that one.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”