Snakes?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Galee
udonmap.com

Snakes?

Post by Galee » May 9, 2006, 12:14 am

How big a problem are snakes in Thailand?.

Has anyone had a nasty experience, especially in the UT area?

TC
udonmap.com

Post by TC » May 9, 2006, 1:37 am

There are quite a few opposite the plaza you need to be wary of :lol:

On a serious note snakes are not an issue. Though one time many years ago I went away for a month and came back to find the rockery and garden (I had recently spent a long time making myself) had turned into concrete.

The reason : yes she saw a snake and two minutes later the old trout was on the phone to readymix.

snakes are right up there with ghosts :?

TC

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 9, 2006, 2:36 am

Occasionally you see them on the golf courses, but they disappear into the undergrowth / jungle at a rapid rate of knots.

They do send a cold shiver through me on the few occasions I have seen them, but so far they have all headed off rapidly in the opposite direction - I would probably suffer from heart failure if one actually headed towards me :yikes:

I have not heard of any really bad experiences by any one on the golf course, but if you do happen to hit a ball slightly off line into the jungle it would not be unusual to let your caddy do the searching :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 9, 2006, 2:59 pm

I've had two encounters in three and a half years, more the I did in the states, one in the house and one outside. But it is not an everyday thing, even on the roads I might go months without even seeing one. But they are here and you do have to be aware of it

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 9, 2006, 2:59 pm

I've had two encounters in three and a half years, more the I did in the states, one in the house and one outside. But it is not an everyday thing, even on the roads I might go months without even seeing one. But they are here and you do have to be aware of it

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » May 9, 2006, 4:37 pm

On Sunday I was driving towards Nong Khai and made the left turn to Ban Phu. About 5km. down the road I ran over a snake. It looked to be about two inches in diameter and when I ran over it, I could feel it, like a soft speed bump. The person I was with said it was the largest snake he had ever seen in the wild.

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » May 9, 2006, 5:38 pm

i see plenty of snakes when i go fishing,never had any problems,so far.....Image
www.udonmap.com

ctm
udonmap.com

Post by ctm » May 9, 2006, 11:19 pm

Years ago, I was picking up some clothes from the corner of the room for washing and a snake was underneath. It was a cold night and maybe he was just trying to get warm.

Not knowing much about snakes in Thailand, I jumped back a few feet. I got the guy in the apartment next door. He didn't know if it was poisonous either so we just bashed it to death with a stick.

Other than that incident, I only remember seeing a few crossing the road. And one the guys in the village caught and we ate for lunch. Hmmmm.

Watch out for the millipedes. Some are as big as snakes and pack a nasty bite.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » May 10, 2006, 3:10 am

Cobras everywhere out in the jungles of Tha Bo, make sure you carry a torch down unlit streets at night....

And like ctm mentioned, the red stripey millipedes, now they scare the hell out of me, more so than the snakes surprisingly :?

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 10, 2006, 4:36 am

I've just been watching a programme on Sky about individual Cobras in Thailand.

The programme was about finding an antidote to venomous snake bites. It appears that there is a plant that grows naturally in Thailand called a Queen Snake Plant and the root of this plant, is 100% effective in preventing death from a bite. This plant means that it is no longer neccessary to milk snakes for their venom. It works for every snake in the world.

The programme mentioned that 1,000 people die from snake bites a week worldwide. There are 3 types of Cobra in Thailand, the Monacle, the Spectacle and an individual. There is also the Banded Crate, which enters houses. They showed a snake charmer who had been bitten 19 times by Cobras and who had lost most of his fingers to the venom of the Cobra.

The English presenter caught a 3.5mtrs individual Cobra in the wild which he took back to BKK for laboratory test on the snakes venom and the effect the root of the plant had.

Catching the snake was quite amusing as having found the snake the presenter readily ammitted he was bricking himself, trying to get up enough courage to grab it by the head. Having grabbed the snake he couldn't get it into a sack.

All in all, a very interesting programme.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » May 10, 2006, 8:28 am

During the time I was here with the military, there was a write up in the Bangkok about a Thai lady riding in a taxi in Bangkok. She felt something slithering across the back of her neck. No sure what it was, the lady waited a few seconds and then turned her head to see a snake slithering down and in the back of the back seat. She told the taxi driver what she had seen. The taxi driver pulled over to the side and the lady got out. The taxi driver lifted the back seat, to find that the lady was right, but it was a nest of baby cobra's and an adult cobra. The taxi driver close the door and called the police. The police didn't really know what to but to set the taxi on fire to kill the snakes. Now that is an expensive way of getting rid of them. Just don't why they didn't contact the snake farm that was there in Bangkok and have them remove the snakes.

I haven't seen any snakes since I have been here, but have seen a few large centipedes and milliipedes. Also need to watch for the scorpins, some are quite small and can be missed.

Pop's :pirate:

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Snakes?

Post by parrot » October 13, 2021, 5:57 pm

The good thing about young cobras is they exhibit the same characteristics of an adult.......so there's no question about what kind of snake it is. Our gardener got this one today while doing some trimming in the yard. Where there's one.........
Attachments
20211013_164939.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 13, 2021, 7:16 pm

Congrats, John ....... this may be the greatest thread necro (appropriate, given the subject ) in the history of UM. :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 13, 2021, 7:38 pm

Indeed Jack op.dated 2006 .. :? .. both um.members and the snakes have aged considerably..

Btw there is a snake hotline in Udon ..part of the ambulance service they come out n snaffle slippery snakes FOC.

Having had 2 snakes in the house recently i have been advised by the local voodoo guy to purchase the house number for the lotto and im.looking forward to collecting my winnings very soon ....what could poosibly go wrong.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 13, 2021, 7:45 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 13, 2021, 7:38 pm
Indeed Jack op.dated 2006 .. :? .. both um.members and the snakes have aged considerably..

Btw there is a snake hotline in Udon ..part of the ambulance service they come out n snaffle slippery snakes FOC.

Having had 2 snakes in the house recently i have been advised by the local voodoo guy to purchase the house number for the lotto and im.looking forward to collecting my winnings very soon ....what could poosibly go wrong.

DM
Of course, we are still waiting for Dao's feedback, promised some weeks ago, on the "handsome snake" that inhabits Ban DM. :-k

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 13, 2021, 7:52 pm

Wrong thread for the handsome spitting hooded trouser snake Jack ..

Anyone know just why snakes arouse the Thais re winning the lotto ??? ..

Dm

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 14, 2021, 3:22 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
Right you are, chief. Do you still have that hotline number? Asking for a friend.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » October 14, 2021, 4:12 am

If you come across one, simply back away.
Worst thing one can do is try to "hack it do death" as this is where drongos usually get bitten.
If it's in your house, keep an eye on it and get a snake handler in.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 14, 2021, 7:04 am

Earnest wrote:
October 14, 2021, 3:22 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
Right you are, chief. Do you still have that hotline number? Asking for a friend.
I do not as its all in squggly Ernie .. but Dao has it inside her phone ..i will ask her when she wakes up .. not sure twood be an intelligent move to arouse her so early in the morning just to get this info, she isnt a morning person :? :lol:

I only know its part of the ambulance service as each time they have arrived its been in one of those private road racer ambulances so the number is linked to them guys some how.

bluejets is spot on with his advice ... the slippery buggars are coming into homes more now due the flooding n rains so watch out .

DM

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 14, 2021, 11:01 am

My dog finds snakes when they are around. Snakes must smell different because he gets very close to non-venomous snakes. One spitting cobra sprayed him in his eyes. Fortunately I saw what happened and washed his eyes out with the garden hose. He stumbled around for several days but finally recovered. He has a different bark when he finds a cobra. He no longer gets close to cobras. I don't kill harmless snakes, cobras are a different story. My wife calls the neighbors when the dog is barking at a cobra. They come with their bamboo sticks and usually are able to kill cobras. They love to eat them. My wife normally doesn't like dogs but she likes ours. We have a two and a half rai wooded yard. Whenever she is walking around checking her flowers and trees, the dog is always close to her and he finds snakes before she sees them. Fortunately most are harmless. She doesn't kill them either.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”