Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: Snakes?

Post by Earnest » October 15, 2021, 1:59 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 14, 2021, 7:04 am
Earnest wrote:
October 14, 2021, 3:22 am

Right you are, chief. Do you still have that hotline number? Asking for a friend.
I do not as its all in squggly Ernie .. but Dao has it inside her phone ..i will ask her when she wakes up ..

DM
F A B.

My mate, Niggly, has Hissing Sid hiding out in the garden waiting for Jonathon, the French bulldog, to pop out for wazz. It could get ugly.

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 15, 2021, 4:36 am

Hissing Sid is in for a drubbing if the flea-ridden bastard has been trained by Niggly. Go Johnny Go as Chuck Berry might sing.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 15, 2021, 7:50 pm

been living here full time since June 2012. We've got a fenced plot of land that's over 3 rai. We've got 5-7 rai grown out fields on either side and a bog just outside our property. So, lots of snake habitat and the bog has lots of frogs. I'd reckon in the last 9 years I've seen several dozen snakes. That was post dog. Prior to getting our dogs I rarely saw them though obviously they must have been there. Two of our 3 dogs are master snake killers. Most of the snakes have been non-poisounous but they've tangled with spitting cobras, regular cobras and on one occasion a banded krait (found the torn up snake laying by the house one morning. I used to get worried but can identify most of them now thanks to the Snakes of Issan Facebook Group. Here's the boys at work... Oh, they tag team the snakes with the smaller dog always going for the tail and yanking the snake straight and the red dog going for the mid section where he clamps down on it, shakes it violently and tosses the snake 2-4 meters (stay away!)
20180410_170048.jpg
DSC00084 (2).JPG
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 16, 2021, 7:46 am

this one was the biggest I've seen the dogs corral. Note the top shot with the snake extended attempting to bite Tiny, my red dog. Nary a bite mark on him.. Had me worried for a bit... Oh, the snake excaped with minor bites into the bog next to our land.
20170718_125815.jpg
20170718_125723.jpg
Dave

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 16, 2021, 3:53 pm

Stab me vitals, I think I'd be running away screaming like a schoolgirl on Jim'll Fix It.

And what kind of a snake was that, can anyone identify it?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Snakes and other vermin

Post by FrazeeDK » October 16, 2021, 7:19 pm

rat snake a big one.. the dogs backed off after the snake tried to bite Tiny's butt and the snake escaped into through the fence into a bog.... The dogs are extremely terrirotorial on our land. Any vermin that enters, snake, rat, squirrel, will be attacked and killed. Turtles crawling out of our pond cause them to bark for hours till we go out and toss the turtle back in the pond. Outside our land when I walk the dogs each evening they've trotted right by live snakes on the road and the large one is absolutely petrified of cows or water buffaloes that come near.. One night they got a huge rat like creature that I later found out was a Nutria. It was dry season so the fight outside my window at 11PM was a cloud of dust. The Nutria has big teeth and he got Tiny the red dog several times in the face.. Junior the big dog and Scotty the terrier worried the beast until I could brain it with a shovel. We just never know what these pups will tangle with... Here's that nutria post mortem with the dogs still wound up. 2nd photo Tiny's war wounds My nephew said it made a good larp...
DSC01033.JPG
DSC01041.JPG
Dave

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 16, 2021, 8:19 pm

Yes, I had a quick gander on Google, that swamp rat thing has a large pair of gnashers.

Good meat, apparently, did you put him on the barbeque?

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 17, 2021, 10:45 am

Here’s a snake down the back yard today, any experts can ID?
It rose up like a cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » October 17, 2021, 10:55 am

copperhead racer , they do the cobra impression when threatened :D
copperhead+racer+snake+2.jpg
Last edited by thewatchman on October 17, 2021, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 17, 2021, 10:57 am

Thanks watchman.
Unfortunately it won’t be rising like a cobra again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 7, 2022, 4:54 pm

Snake in my garage. Any ideas?
Put him outside on the street.
Attachments
Snake 3.jpg
Snake 2.jpg

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » March 7, 2022, 5:51 pm

some type of kukri,maybe a Banded kukri?
7783163348_1fd8c8d5ca_b-khao-yai-banded-kukri-snake-bernard-dupont.jpg
banded-kukri-snake-w-1500.jpg
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 7, 2022, 8:48 pm

mak wrote:
March 7, 2022, 4:54 pm
Snake in my garage. Any ideas?
Put him outside on the street.
Tomorrows lunch Gus
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 7, 2022, 8:52 pm

I had read that snakes don't like lemon grass. That is WRONG. I was walking around a pond. One corner had a large patch of lemon grass. When I got close to it, a very large cobra stood up. I backed up so fast that I fell on my back. When I was able to focus again, I saw it swimming across the pond never to be seen again. My dog has found five cobras on our property during the past several years. One of them spit in his eyes. Two got away and three were killed and eaten by our neighbors.

I saw that snake spit in his eyes. I washed his eyes out with a garden hose. He stumbled around for several days but recovered with no problems. He now knows cobras from harmless snakes. He doesn't try to kill the cobras. He's just a Heinz 57, black and brown marked like a doberman.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » March 8, 2022, 5:49 pm

I got bitten by a Cobra here in 2019 after riding over it on my scooter, a minor bite but nearly 3 years later I'm just coming good and getting over it, not recommended.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 9, 2022, 11:04 am

I was on my bike when I saw a HUGE snake crossing the road. I stopped way back and allowed the snake to get all the way across the road and out of sight before moving on. The snake length was nearly as long as the country road is wide. I don't know what kind of snake it was, but likely a python or individual cobra.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 9, 2022, 4:25 pm

kakariki wrote:
March 8, 2022, 5:49 pm
I got bitten by a Cobra here in 2019 after riding over it on my scooter, a minor bite but nearly 3 years later I'm just coming good and getting over it, not recommended.
Crikey.

You mean just coming good physically? What were your long term symptoms?

nutosf
udonmap.com

Post by nutosf » March 10, 2022, 3:29 pm

A friend, a while back, was bitten by a snake in his garden. He had the forethought to take a picture before going to the doctor. It was not poisonous, so no problem. Good idea to take a picture if you get bit.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 10, 2022, 8:27 pm

stumbled across three this last week..one had actually climbed up the outside of the typical wooden Thai door, and hung there at head height, Came across the other two in the internal garage..both green buggars..the bigger one was to fast for me, and finally headed for the rice field, but the smaller one wouldnt give up,,,must be the season nei.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » March 13, 2022, 1:23 pm

You mean just coming good physically? What were your long term symptoms?
[/quote]
Partial loss of senses, sight, hearing, tightness in chest muscles and stiffness in most joints.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”