Udon's changing

General Udon Thani topics only!
laphanphon

Re: Udon's changing

Post by laphanphon » September 2, 2009, 12:51 pm

no trailers.........everyone has a pick up truck, or like me, have people deliver.

only major difference i notice is inflation and congestion, along with all the goodies congestion brings. the rate of inflation/gauging is amazing, 30-50 % increase in last year or so. i see gas prices are almost back to their all time high, though crude oil is less than half the price it used to be.

i did my monthly budget for august, 1st time in a while, accounting for every baht, since personal change from 3 to 2 people at the house. Gem 'vacationing" in the village prison, my attempt at trying to be nice. but noticed the cost for food and household items cost the same for the month, though 1 less person in the house, and Gem definitely had an adult appetite. 15 k for food, in/out total, same as last time i kept track, about 6 months ago. houselhold, less than 3k, and that's some items stocked up, soaps/paper products.

lets not forget the amount of construction, and all that extra water and electric is going to be coming from where?

could someone please tell the water company to start putting chlorine back in the water treatment plant, tired of taking shower in water w/sh*t, my skin is not adjusting to it well. can't remember last i smelled chlorine in the water.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 2, 2009, 1:14 pm

An early garden centre would have been the one near Tesco's on the main road...previously was an out door resturant with Issan style music and dance....they did sell plants too etc, but that went and then concentrated on operating a garden centre only...around 10 years back.

And interesting story regarding the trailer + Car, an odd sight on Thai Roads.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 2, 2009, 4:35 pm

Is it the falang population responsible for all of these changes in such a short period of time, or just evolution ??

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 2, 2009, 6:12 pm

With new housing came the garden centres, the houses where built with Thais in mind that are better off than some others.. rather than ex-pat farangs...so count the farangs out of that one...also some shopping habits and shopping centres, sure they are not built with farang in mind......just moving with the times.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 2, 2009, 6:18 pm

just keep in mind they can get credit and live on 100 baht a day were us expats need a lot more
we spend that much on coffee

tom1941

Post by tom1941 » September 4, 2009, 8:45 pm

Philip101,
I do agree with you the changes in udon but thats the way it is everywhere but you make your choices. its not where you go but what you-do they need the change like everywhere, but you talk about ,the bars as iif that is all there is (only if you want that way of life. I stay in udon and have a full life day and night.I'm 68 and teach 2 days a week,kids at my muang nong sam rong I teach at the hospital in nong bua saw and earn respect from the thai and give respect I am treated so good. I put the bad aside and live well on knowing I can give a little ALL FOR FREE .life is short . live it
Sincerely TOM

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 5, 2009, 10:33 am

bkkstan: "But,I never see any trailers behind cars,which always make me wonder if it is illegal or if there is a niche market for it?"

The gardening shop just before Carrefour, same side, (I think the owner's name is Bob) has a fancy trailer built by a German expat.......sort of like the quikfire bbq grills. Looks like a high quality piece of workmanship.........don't know the price. It's on display in front of the shop.

bozwel247

Post by bozwel247 » September 5, 2009, 3:12 pm

you are all so lucky living in such a wonderfull city , it could be a hole :? lot worse you could live in oldham [-o<

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » September 5, 2009, 3:58 pm

Hi,
Life is not a practice it is for real. Enjoy yourself and have fun for you never know just when the clock will stop. Be grateful for what you have got.
Cheers Doug.

Men are like hardwood floors. Lay them right the first time and you can walk over them forever.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 5, 2009, 8:18 pm

WE moan about the nightlife changing, we moan about Udon changing we moan about everything,.....hey enjoy and relax a tad chaps, change that is the nature of life, we all change, had a look at a photo of yourself some 20 years ago, do you recognise yourself.
it is life, evolution, modernisation, needs, wants etc:- if you don't like it or cannot stand it, move elsewhere.

Whatever we feel it will happen and soon we will all have gas bar-b-que at the Wats, no more dirty charcoal. it is called embracing, the world, we want them to change for Visas, Law enforcement, etc, with it comes everything else. love it or leave it.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”