udonmap.com

Giks - an Interesting Comment

Post by wazza » May 25, 2006, 10:16 am

This is from a thread in Chiang Mai recently

Young Thai

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 25, 2006, 10:35 am

Thanks for the interesting and enlightening post wazza. I too have heard the term

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 25, 2006, 10:38 am

Wazza, I'm not sure about the source and validity of the posting above.
As an ex-school teacher in Thailand, - higher vocational college, (students ages ranging from 18-23), the word "Gig" was explained to me, by both the students and the teachers as a "teen" word meaning a non-sexual friend, someone you went out with to eat, drink, go shopping, and have fun with, and thus you could have many "Gigs"!

Though maybe that was just the "official" definition!!" :wink:

I would agree that the "traditional" Thais seem to be becoming more of a minority now and that the younger generation girls seem to be becoming more liberated than their parents generation.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 26, 2006, 6:05 am

One of my wife's friends from Bangkok used the term ''gig '' to me in describing her relationship with a foreigner when they came to visit.It was used to explain that she did not have sex with him.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 26, 2006, 11:48 am

From my personal experiences, the term 'Gig' is used exactly as Wazza describes. Maybe the meaning of the word has changed over the past few years, or is slang amongst the younger generation.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 26, 2006, 11:58 am

Yes, indeed that concurs exactly with what I said my understanding was, a relationship where they didn't have sex.

Does this mean that Lee has many Gigs??!! :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 26, 2006, 12:15 pm

arjay wrote:Yes, indeed that concurs exactly with what I said my understanding was, a relationship where they didn't have sex.

Does this mean that Lee has many Gigs??!! :lol:

I had many 'Gigs' when I was in my early 20's and the singer in a blues band; however the word gig to me referred to a live music performance. So I guess using a mix of English words and Thai slang you could say that we performed many gigs and had many gigs LOL. :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 27, 2006, 4:52 pm

So what do you think?We came looking for ''Giks'' and they were looking for ''gigs''?LOL

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 27, 2006, 6:48 pm

Can You Dig It Dug.?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 27, 2006, 10:47 pm

BM, I've just read all the blogs on that website, great fun.

Tony

Grandad
udonmap.com

Post by Grandad » May 28, 2006, 10:16 am

hjibhjinji

valentine

Post by valentine » May 29, 2006, 8:46 am

Let me start by saying I have no personal knowledge of Giks, other than what I've read on here and the link BM provided.It does occur to me though this must be the end of the sin sod system. If the lady has already opened the jewelry box and given the most valuable items away what is a prospective suitor being asked to pay for?She obviously didn't rate them very high value in the first place, either physically or morally. As for reimbursing the parents for educating her, they neglected to teach her fundamental values, surely a priority in any young persons upbringing.
This isn't a moral crusade i am on, only wish I was young enough to be considered for someones Gik, but more a question of the double standards in play here.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 29, 2006, 8:53 am

For sure Val. If the jewellery box has already been opened that should either negate any "sin sot" or at least signficantly diminish it. Though if and when she subsequently decides to get married, would she actually tell her suitor, or indeed her parents!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 29, 2006, 2:38 pm

Jewellery Box..i like it..Thats a real pearl. Image
Can You Dig It Dug.?

valentine

Post by valentine » May 29, 2006, 2:43 pm

beer monkey wrote:Jewellery Box..i like it..Thats a real pearl. Image
Or maybe a Gem?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 29, 2006, 2:45 pm

valentine wrote:
Or maybe a Gem?
quite a coincidence as you have just become a "gold " member. :D
Can You Dig It Dug.?

valentine

Post by valentine » May 29, 2006, 2:49 pm

beer monkey wrote:
valentine wrote:
Or maybe a Gem?
quite a coincidence as you have just become a "gold " member. :D
I don't like being a gold member, would much prefer to be called "Gold finger"!!! :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 29, 2006, 3:13 pm

quite a coincidence as you have just become a "gold " member.
Is that better than a "silver haired member"? :lol: :lol:

valentine

Post by valentine » May 29, 2006, 4:34 pm

arjay wrote:
quite a coincidence as you have just become a "gold " member.
Is that better than a "silver haired member"? :lol: :lol:
Silver haired, Silver Arjay? I'll let you know I spend a fortune on hair colouring and on the packet its descibed as Platinum :lol: :lol: Just joking its natural colour really, been completely grey since I was 25 years old.Now back on topic. Today I lunched with a crowd of ladies aged 25-40 from city hall. After checking with my wife if I wasn't out of line I asked them if they knew what a Gik was. well after at least 15-20 minutes loud laughter I gathered they did. I then asked had any of them got, or had one.Without dissent they all had, surprisingly after marriage.They then went on to explain that didn't mean a sexual partner, but admitted it was more than a friend but not a lover.Well I couldn't get out from them what it was, so I asked if any of them had told their husbands. None had.So you can all draw your own conclusions what a Gik is.A few asked me can I find a farang gik for them, maybe one of the younger members on the forum could volunteer and do a more in depth report for us :lol:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 29, 2006, 5:01 pm

A few asked me can I find a farang gik for them, maybe one of the younger members on the forum could volunteer and do a more in depth report for us
Val, I would be very happy to apply for the position, and if required submit you a detailed report, in the fullness of time of course!! :D

This could well be the opportunity I have been waiting for. :P

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”