Powdered Milk

General Udon Thani topics only!
Funman
udonmap.com

Powdered Milk

Post by Funman » May 9, 2010, 12:17 pm

Does anyone know where I can get powdered milk for baking purposes? All I have been able to find at Tesco/Big C/Carrefour is for baby formula and it seems to be all flavored and who knows what else is in it. I know in the US there are several brands such as Carnation Etc. I have some bread recipes that call for two cups powdered milk and one cup water so two cups of milk will not work. Also shredded coconut for making coconut cream pies and macaroons.

Shado
udonmap.com

Re: Powdered Milk

Post by Shado » May 9, 2010, 1:09 pm

I had the same problem trying to find powerded milk to use in recipies that called for it. I've seen powdered milk for sale all over the globe, but for some reason, not in Thailand. I was looking for Carnation non-fat dried milk. No luck. I did the next best thing and it seemed to work okay. I read the ingredient list on the boxes of the formulated mixes on the shelves (baby formula) and looked for the one that had the most dried milk solids and fewest added stuff like lactose, minerals, vitamins etc.

I don't remember which one I finally used, but I believe it was Nestle's or Carnation for toddlers. I was putting together a baking pre-mix similar to bisquick and it worked just fine. I make the pre-mix dry ingredients and then when I want to make (American style) biscuits or pancakes or crepes etc, I just add the liquid ingredients to form the final product.

Good luck in your search and if you do happen to locate the real deal, please lets us know. I even looked at Villa Market in Bangkok and couldn't find it.

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » May 9, 2010, 8:58 pm

There are 2 types of powdered milk which can be used in cooking

Full cream Milk Powder (26% or 28% fat) when mixed with water becomes same as liquid milk.

Skim milk Powder (1.5% fat) when mixed with water same as low fat liquid milk

I'm not certain, but probably liquid UHT liquid Milk both Full cream and Skim milk which you can certainly buy in Udon can also be used in cooking and baking.

Carnation is usually Evaporated Milk which is different from the above 2 types.

Hope this helps. Miruku (which means "milk" in Japanese language).

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » May 9, 2010, 9:12 pm

Sorry, I should have also said that for our American friends, Full cream milk powder is often known in the US as Whole milk powder, and Skim milk powder as Non-fat dried milk powder.

Miruku

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 10, 2010, 7:07 am

Yes, UTH liquid milk and evaporated milk are locally available and are often used in cooking a baking. I nearly always have the evaporated milk on hand as well condensed milk.

I believe what Funman is looking for and what I also had problems finding is the dry powdered milk. Something similar to this:
Attachments
carnation_dry_milk_lg.gif
carnation_dry_milk_lg.gif (42.15 KiB) Viewed 4423 times

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 10, 2010, 9:59 am

Funman;

Regarding your inquiry about shredded coconut for baking macaroons and cream pies, I've yet to find the packaged shredded baking coconut in any of the supermarkets. I do, on occasion, buy the fresh grated coconut found in the local markets and it substitues well in some dishes, but I've not tried it for either cream pies or macaroons. The texture of fresh grated coconut is, of course, differnt from the processed shredded and has a higher moisture content. I suppose you could dry first it if that is a concern.

There is a bakery supply shop here in Udon that you might try.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/u ... 16256.html

If they don't carry it, they might know where it can be purchased. Again, good luck.

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » May 10, 2010, 10:50 am

Yes, the product in your photo is Skim Milk Powder (instant or non-instant doesn't matter for cooking) so if fun man is looking for low fat milk powder (1.5%) then the product in your photo is fine, but if he needs the fat content of "normal" milk then he needs to look for Full Cream or Whole Milk Powder 26% or 28% fat (instant or non-instant doesn't matter for cooking). I'm sure I've seen FCMP in Tesco Lotus.

Miruku

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » May 14, 2010, 5:11 pm

Yes Shado, the stuff you have pictured is what I'm looking for but I've been unable to find that product. The fat content is of little concern as I want to use it mostly in bread recipes. I don't remember seeing it when I was looking for powdered milk in the "old" Tesco, only baby formula. One recipe calls for 1 cup water and two cups of powdered milk so using two cups of UHT milk would make for a very runny bread dough.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 14, 2010, 5:21 pm

Honestly, when I went through the formula section of supermarket and picked the one with the highest percentage of milk solids it worked quite well for me with the baking mix recipe. Based on my one time experience using that kind of powdered milk, I suspect that it would work just fine in your bread recipe. You might give it a try.

After I found out that the formula dry milk worked okay, I used it several time in the same recipe and really could not tell the difference from the instant non-fat dried milk that I was originally looking for.

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » May 14, 2010, 6:17 pm

OK shado, I'll take ur word for it. If I can't find the real deal on my safari down south, I'll give it a go. Thnx Incidentally, have you found lite corn syrup here? Never have seen it in my 8+ years in Thailand but I did find it in Manila.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 14, 2010, 7:39 pm

That's another one Funman. Have looked many times in many places. Cannot find lite corn syrup. I sometimes make syrup using sugar and water but that syrup will not substitute for the corn syrup (Kayro) you are talking about. Lots of pancake syrup available, but that's about it.

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » May 14, 2010, 9:17 pm

You might find full cream milk powder and maybe skim milk powder in the coffee and tea section rather than the baby food section. Nestle's brands include Nespray, Nido and Carnation but there are probably others on sale. Can't you ask the manager of Tesco or Big C etc?

Full cream and Skim have different applications for bakery depending on what you are looking for. I am not technical but think Skim is used for bakery and icecream and full cream for other applications.

Miruku

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » May 15, 2010, 6:23 am

Miruku, I did inquire at Tesco about the powdered milk and after some lengthy dialogue (I speak very little Thai) I got someone to understand what I was looking with the help of a Thai costumer that could speak and translate for me for and ended up with the same outcome, "mai me". I'm rather hesitance to do too much "experimenting" due to the time, work and cost of the ingredients (some being very hard to come by) involved in the bread making process.
Shado, I have seen Kayro corn syrup on the shelf at Villa in Pattaya but 300B for a small bottle (maybe 8-12oz at most) was way too spendy for me. I thank all involved for the help I have received. As everyone is aware of, you really have to shop around to gather different ingredients here in Udon. What one store carries, another doesn't.

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » May 15, 2010, 8:00 am

Funman, yours is noted. Have you checked in the tea & coffee section? When I started in the business half a century ago, people in South East Asia used Sweetened condensed milk for baby food and as a tea and as coffee whitener. There were no refrigerators in homes and Sugar in the SCM is a preservative.

Next came full cream/whole milk powder which could be used for both purposes and for drinking milk and in processed foods. At that early stage, Skim milk powder was prohibited for edible purposes because it is unsuitable/dangerous for infants and could only be imported coloured green for use in stock feeds.

Skim milk powder/Non fat dried powder was finally permitted but I think it still carries an "unsuitable for infants" warning on consumer packs. Infant milk powder/formula came later and is still treated differently from FCMP and SMP. That's why I think you will find both full cream and skim in the grocery section of the supermarkets. I am not involved in consumer packs or I would do more to help but I know Nestle has a huge operation in Thailand. Perhaps you could phone their consumer help desk to find out where their FCMP/SMP is available in Udon?

For baking you could also look at whey powder which can be mixed with SMP but I don't think that is available in consumer packs, only 25kg bags.

Sorry I can't help with the non-dairy items.

Miruku

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 15, 2010, 8:03 pm

Take a look http://www.alibaba.com/member/th106198130.html

Thai company selling a variety of dried milk products....not the baby kind.

I can't tell you where to get it, but you might try taking a copy of the photos to some of the store managers (Golf, at the new Ngeesoon, is pretty good about getting new products for his customers).
Attachments
Mission_Instant_Skim_Milk_Powder.summ.jpg
Mission_Instant_Skim_Milk_Powder.summ.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
Mission_Instant_Full_Cream_Milk_Powder.summ.jpg
Mission_Instant_Full_Cream_Milk_Powder.summ.jpg (3.99 KiB) Viewed 4273 times

Geoffrey
udonmap.com

Post by Geoffrey » May 17, 2010, 6:16 am

We used to be able to get powdered milk at Tesco but no more. I did some research awhile back and I believe that you can order it in large sacks from Bangkok. I think some bakerys in Udon do this. Here is some contact information for 2 sources that you might try:

"White Group"
Work: 023811333
Home: 02 390 2454 bldg
NZ Products (Thailand) Ltd.
White Group Building, Tower 2, 12th Floor
15 Soi Saeng Chan-Rubia
Sukumvit 42
Klong Toi, Bangkok 10110
P.O. Box 11-1033
Bangkok 10112
Note:
New Zealand Milk Thailand
Anchor Milk

Fonterra
Note:
New Zealand Powder Milk
Distributors
Chakrit 081 903 1120
Thon 089 105 7470
Sub Distributor
Vicky 02 320 0999 Chuernkrit
Warathai 081 345 7996
25 kg 5200 baht

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » May 17, 2010, 10:56 am

Much thanks Geoffry. Now that I know where it's available it will be a lot easier to track down. Not up to large sacks but it's a good solid lead. I might be able to talk that bakery supply shop here into ordering some and then they could break it up into smaller bags to sell at a markup of course.

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » August 2, 2010, 2:38 pm

OK, finally able to find some powdered milk for baking purposes. It's from NZ in a 1K plain bag for 120B with no label on it so I don't know if it's low fat, whole or skim but it's not flavored like baby formula. I haven't tried it as of yet as I just purchased it. If anyone would like to know the location, PM me. Geoffrey made a reply giving me the address of a company in BKK where I could purchase large sacks from NZ so I assume that this is the original source but TIT so you can never be 100% sure. When I mentioned this to the store owner he said he could get me larger quantities if I ordered them.

mrbeerlao
udonmap.com

Post by mrbeerlao » August 3, 2010, 7:50 am

Hi im not yet an expact in udon but i wonder about FLOUR for my bread machine..Can you buy flour easy and cheap in udon?

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » August 3, 2010, 8:24 am

Sure can. All purpose, bread, cake, dark rye and wheat are readily available as well as yeast, baking soda and baking powder. There is a baking specialty supply house that also stocks "special" types of flours but is beyond my budget. Depending on where you buy the standard stuff and what kind it can range from 20B a Kg to 65B a Kg. I have a place I go where I can buy all purpose for 20B a Kg and bread and cake flour for 34B a Kg.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”