Bee Hive's

General Udon Thani topics only!
Chriss
udonmap.com

Bee Hive's

Post by Chriss » June 16, 2010, 8:38 pm

Anyone have any idea how to kill off a bee hive? We have an active one in our gazebo roof and it's getting more and more difficult to sit there without getting buzzed by the bloody things. No stings or major attacks so far and I want it to stay that way.
Would rather not take the roof apart so if anyone knows of a poison or some kind of spray that will make the little buggers go live somewhere else I would be grateful.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Bee Hive's

Post by parrot » June 16, 2010, 8:52 pm

We had a menacing wasp hive in our yard. I waited until evening, covered all exposed parts of my body, put on a pair of lawncutting goggles, and sprayed the hive with a can of termite spray. The spray is available in all the department stores....has a 6" needle like nozzle to allow you to insert into a crack/crevice. The next morning, the wasps were dead. End of story.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 17, 2010, 2:01 am

Sounds like an apt solution to me! Go with it!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 17, 2010, 8:10 am

If it is bee's and not wasps may I suggest you don't kill them. They are an essential part of the ecological system .Without them we wouldn't have any fruit .If you are local to me I can put you in touch with a local bee keeper who will gladly remove them to a more suitable home .I am sure your TG can find one nearer home if not .

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 17, 2010, 12:05 pm

wack them with a stick, but be prepared to run like fook if it doesn't do the job thoroughly.

OT...useful info as usual.. \:D/

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 17, 2010, 12:42 pm

trubrit wrote:If it is bee's and not wasps may I suggest you don't kill them. They are an essential part of the ecological system .Without them we wouldn't have any fruit .If you are local to me I can put you in touch with a local bee keeper who will gladly remove them to a more suitable home .I am sure your TG can find one nearer home if not .
I agree and we've been looking for someone who can remove it complete and relocate in the jungle but no luck so far. Where's local to you?

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » June 17, 2010, 1:18 pm

old-timer wrote:wack them with a stick, but be prepared to run like fook if it doesn't do the job thoroughly.

OT...useful info as usual.. \:D/
Have O-T send over one of his well-fit birds to give you a whack. That might help. :mrgreen:

If unable to locate an apiarist in your region I would follow parrot's advice. Bees and wasps become mostly inert after dark. It's also the best time to give the hives a whack and knock them down. Who wants wasps or bees buzzing around your head while you try to remain ecologically correct? :confused:

I have a nephew who removes bee hives in daytime for us sometimes. Says he has the gift because he was born on an individual's birthday. Also says he gets free hospitalization for sharing the birthdate. Maybe there's a tie-in there someplace. :-k

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 17, 2010, 2:04 pm

Can't whack the hive at any time of day, it's in the roof of our gazebo, the roof is like a house roof with small cotto ceramic tiles, has a ceiling etc etc, don't really want to take it apart if I can help it

rhodie

Post by rhodie » June 17, 2010, 5:50 pm

Found this. Hang a few mothballs in a socks or pantyhose in your yard as it repels bees. You my want to hang some near the nest.

I have done it with garlic and it worked for me. You could try both.

Good Luck.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 17, 2010, 11:06 pm

They may be an essential part of the ecology, but when a swarm nested in my neighbor's back yard, one of his dogs suffered hundreds of stings and the poor girl died afterward. If you can't get somebody to move them, beware of possible dire consequences.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » June 17, 2010, 11:35 pm

trubrit wrote:If it is bee's and not wasps may I suggest you don't kill them. They are an essential part of the ecological system .Without them we wouldn't have any fruit .If you are local to me I can put you in touch with a local bee keeper who will gladly remove them to a more suitable home .I am sure your TG can find one nearer home if not .
Truebrit, how can one tell the difference between a wasp hive and a bee hive?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2010, 7:02 am

[quote="plien"

Truebrit, how can one tell the difference between a wasp hive and a bee hive?[/quote]

a wasp
imagesw.jpg
. A Bee
images b.jpg
Just look at the inhabitants flying in and out . :roll:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2010, 10:32 am

To find a bee keeper near to you just go into the local market and look for the inevitable old lady selling honey. She will know . Incidentally you may be surprised,they may pay you to remove them as the comb is quite expensive .It is a simple job, they just remove the queen bee, locate her in her new home, the rest will follow of their own accord .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 18, 2010, 11:49 am

trubrit wrote:It is a simple job, they just remove the queen bee, locate her in her new home,.
So, what you do is roll up your sleeves and stick your hand in the hornets nest and locate the queen, pick her up, and re-locate her. Now, that sounds simple enough - doesn't it ?

OT....... \:D/

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2010, 1:20 pm

old-timer wrote:
trubrit wrote:It is a simple job, they just remove the queen bee, locate her in her new home,.
So, what you do is roll up your sleeves and stick your hand in the hornets nest and locate the queen, pick her up, and re-locate her. Now, that sounds simple enough - doesn't it ?

OT....... \:D/
I am sure you have stuck your hand in far more dangerous places OT. :lol:Of course it goes without saying . Always use appropriate protection . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 19, 2010, 9:05 am

Well, looks like the deed has been done, a local guy who apparently goes into the jungle to collect honey cones had a look and said the roof will need to come off over the hive or the ceiling under it, or easy way, as mentioned above, he covered himself head to toe and squirted a complete large can of mosquito and roach spray into it. When he'd done you couldn't see for bees and he didn't get stung once. This morning not a one. Time will tell and he did say we need to remove the hive itself or they'll come back next year and reuse it so looks like the ceiling will need to come down at some time, Bugger.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 19, 2010, 6:49 pm

You might just keep an eye on it next year......at the first sign of bees, give it another squirt. It beats taking down the roof/ceiling.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » June 20, 2010, 1:49 am

You might still want to get the comb cleaned out. The wax will attract wax moths. Any honey left behind will draw robber bees that will clean it out if another queen doesn't move her swarm in 1st. And not to mention the ants and wasps looking for an easy meal.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 22, 2010, 7:17 pm

Have a guy coming round tomorrow to take down a section of the ceiling to remove the old hive. Hopefully that will be the last of it...

beesuccess

Post by beesuccess » July 30, 2010, 5:28 pm

Find a Place for the Hives
If you are wanting to keep bee hives in a city please check with the local authorities whether bees can be kept within the city limits and any rules or bylaws that apply. In the city the top of an apartment building is one option or perhaps a communal garden or backyard.

more information here http://www.beekeepingsuccess.com/

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”