Are farangs inviting dislike and anger ?

General Udon Thani topics only!
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Are farangs inviting dislike and anger ?

Post by RLTrader » July 31, 2010, 3:46 pm

Peterplay wrote: I get the feeling that our Farang behavior (in general, be it when driving, asking for guarantee, service etc) is not appreciated by the Thais.
Well this does seem about driving, and all the replies seemed keyed on driving. But you did say,
asking for guarantee, service etc
:shock:

Most times if not all, when I get something fixed, they tell me, without asking, 90 days guarantee, fix it free, if it fails. I seriously doubt its only offered to us, sounds like a good business policy. :D

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Post by Peterplay » July 31, 2010, 5:49 pm

Quite nice you come back to the other part of my question, which was triggered by Galee’s mail.
Indeed, I did not only refer to driving matters, I questioned the changing – in my opinion – in the general attitude towards farangs and my fear that it was caused by farang behavior that is not understood, let alone appreciated by Thais, even when in our opinion our manners are understandable as in the way Galee got angry with the drivers of the bus..

Where 10 years ago everybody was helpful and pleasant and maybe unnecessarily submissive, now, especially the youngsters often are brash and offhand. I know the better classes in Bkk dislike the farangs, but this attitude seems to drip towards Isaan now.

Part of the reason maybe that before the farang was regarded as rich, now however there is a rather big middleclass developing and they don’t need the moneyfarang anymore.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » July 31, 2010, 7:11 pm

Trubrit,,, "I was walking with my TW in a small village , Datchet, which is near Windsor Castle when a car pulled up alongside , waiting at the level X ing. In the back was the Queen who seeing my wife looking , gave her a wave . My wife nearly fainted. Apparently that would not have happened back home but the train would have been stopped, not the Queen ."

Wow!,,, great anecdote TB,,,,, =D>

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 31, 2010, 8:46 pm

LoongLee wrote:Trubrit,,, "I was walking with my TW in a small village , Datchet, which is near Windsor Castle when a car pulled up alongside , waiting at the level X ing. In the back was the Queen who seeing my wife looking , gave her a wave . My wife nearly fainted. Apparently that would not have happened back home but the train would have been stopped, not the Queen ."

Wow!,,, great anecdote TB,,,,, =D>
TB (as is his wont) is being far too modest.

Obviously QE2 had recognized Val, and was trying to attract his attention. :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 31, 2010, 9:39 pm

Where 10 years ago everybody was helpful and pleasant and maybe unnecessarily submissive, now, especially the youngsters often are brash and offhand. I know the better classes in Bkk dislike the farangs, but this attitude seems to drip towards Isaan now.

One reason the youngsters are brash and off hand, is the internet. They are more informed now. A click of a mouse they can see Broken Britain and the USA are skint, and all washed up.
The standard of living there is dropping.
Western supremcy in industry and commerce is waning, the focus has shifted to Asia. Won't be long that the people of Britain will all be riding bicycles, wearing grey boiler suits, and praying to Allah five times a day
The Chinese Thais have never liked us, and have always seen us as a threat. That's why so many hurdles are put in front of us to live here with our familes or open a business. Ironic really as the Chinese were foriengers here once, bought in as clerks and accountants. Now they run the country.

Part of the reason maybe that before the farang was regarded as rich, now however there is a rather big middleclass developing and they don’t need the moneyfarang anymore.Peterplay

That was back in 1997 when the baht crashed, not any more.
A lot of farangs here are on the skin of their teeth, meagre pensions, burned all their bridges back home, and a 7-10 year old banger parked outside the 900,000 baht two bedroom bungalow. The Thai neighbours all point and laugh, as they climb into their brand new red plated car.

moomahlaow

Post by moomahlaow » July 31, 2010, 11:40 pm

M y experience with Thai drivers is that they see their motorbike as just a faster extension of their own legs and that is why they park them wherever they like and cross roads at right angles to moving traffic in order to cross the road. Many of them learn to drive a motorbike at the age of ten in their own village which is usually devoid of police and so they pick up bad driving habits from the start. Most of them have never had any driving lessons from a qualified instructor ever. In most places the motorbike has just taken the place of the family bullock cart in the last thirty years.However as foreigners we should just accept that this is what they do and drive with more caution ourselves, expecting the songtaow in front to stop suddenly ( because he has seen a possible passenger). We can't change the way they drive any more than we can force them to give us life time visas.It is their country so it is up to us to adapt, just as they would be expected to adapt if they drove in Europe or USA.Look at a Thai car driver turning a corner. He will indicate half a Kilometer beforehand and slow down to 15 miles an hour. In his eyes he is not being a hazzard, but super careful.If there is an accident it is usually the bigger vehicle which is held responsible....unless one vehicle is driven by a farang and then he will be held responsible.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 1, 2010, 5:16 am

prenders88 wrote:Where 10 years ago everybody was helpful and pleasant and maybe unnecessarily submissive, now, especially the youngsters often are brash and offhand. I know the better classes in Bkk dislike the farangs, but this attitude seems to drip towards Isaan now.
Seems that way prenders...go back even further(+ 10 years) and the changes are remarkable...(the snide comments behind your back started around 10 years ago i estimate)...the only time i felt like that i was being treated bad was when i got ripped off and trapped in an upstairs Bar in patpong.....but that was the only place...it started going downwards over the years ever since more and more farangs came on cheap holiday deals looking for a good time.. Image and maybe some Thais felt outsiders where taking over moving in everywhere..(same same UK really)...We came We Had Cash In Our Pockets We Had Jobs That Earned good money that an average Thai could only dream of in a lifetime......Did we feel that we was above any of them..? The tables have turned.

plus i bet there has never been so many new vehicles on the road....but all brought on easy credit....and that bubble may burst.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 1, 2010, 7:26 am

This subject brings to mind many comments, I agree that loud-mouthed farangs do nothing to get repect from Thais and as for the youngsters, being brash or indifferent, they like many others , are learning that in this country we are what we are, foreigners with little rights.

be that as it may it is not endemic and only in certain places, personally, I myself have no problems, , yes the driving gets to me as it does many others, the buses thing, my playing with the buses was a one time thing, not to be encouraged, it just happened and to me was just deserts.
More often than not eventually something will happen that will raise questions and that action will be actively discouraged, becoming Westernised, that is the major source of contention, a country trying to become democratic, legally, a country trying to assimilate the changes that the youngsters are learning about from the Interent coupled with the all pervading culture issue and the religious input from dare I say mis-guided people, then there will be fricton and in many cases it is coming to head and being seen publically enacted out by the youth of the day in their attitudes and actions to many, not just foreigners but also their so-called peers and the older generation.
Transmogrification is what Thailand is going through and in some cases it ain't pretty.
So to answer the question are we inviting dislike or anger , NO, just that it is easier to pick on a foreigner, as it is easier to spot them, and their rights are so often limited and that they know after we have spent our wealth we are in fact no better than them with one exception, we can't get credit, so our lifestyle appears to be lower, but they forget one thing, We own what we have, none of it is on credit.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » August 1, 2010, 9:52 pm

Just put bull bars on your truck and drive like they do.

If they get in your way, that's a decision they made.

moomahlaow

Post by moomahlaow » August 2, 2010, 12:29 am

Just put bull bars on your truck and drive like they do.

If they get in your way, that's a decision they made.
Yes, it is easy to say 'Put bull bars on your truck and if anyone makes a mistake it is their own fault', but you would later regret doing that if you ended up running into a motorbike with a whole family on it.

Better to learn from the locals style of driving and be extra careful . If you injure somebody with your huge truck it is you who will end up having to pay all the hospital bills and could end up in a Thai prison. Drive like the more laid back locals ( I do not mean the careless ones. I mean the ones who are not in a hurry).After all you are in Thailand to enjoy yourself not to injure people, whether you consider their driving is good or not.

I don't think all foreigners are disliked, only some who do not respect the Thai way of life, or people whom they regard are causing them loss of face. If you smile at people often like they do and speak politely using phrases like ' ....noy na khrap' at the end of sentences they will regard you with respect for being polite. Also if you try to dress like a middle class Thai, in long trousers and a shirt which has been ironed, you will give a better impression than if you wear shorts ,flip flops and a Beer Chang T-shirt. I have dressed in both of these styles and have noticed the difference in peoples' attitude. If you look at even quite poor Thais they always dress smartly.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 2, 2010, 10:49 am

Good post, Moomahlaow, some very valid points and welcome to the forum. I particularly liked this one which I think is very valid:
Also if you try to dress like a middle class Thai, in long trousers and a shirt which has been ironed, you will give a better impression than if you wear shorts ,flip flops and a Beer Chang T-shirt. I have dressed in both of these styles and have noticed the difference in peoples' attitude
....you omitted the "Beer Chang T-shirt ....... "stained with last week's Beer Chang" .......! :lol:

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » August 2, 2010, 11:36 am

arjay wrote:Good post, Moomahlaow, some very valid points and welcome to the forum. I particularly liked this one which I think is very valid:

....you omitted the "Beer Chang T-shirt ....... "stained with last week's Beer Chang" .......! :lol:
I could not agree more with the last 2 posts, but you missed out on Leo beer, Beer Lao, San Mig etc. Myself, well I would not be caught dead in those shirts.

I have designer shirts from Corona beer, Fosters, VB, Stella Artois, Budweiser and Heineken beers and when I am strolling around, I feel the Thais think that I am a man of some substance wearing top of the shelf beer shirts.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » August 2, 2010, 1:36 pm

Sport wrote:
arjay wrote:Good post, Moomahlaow, some very valid points and welcome to the forum. I particularly liked this one which I think is very valid:

I could not agree more with the last 2 posts, but you missed out on Leo beer, Beer Lao, San Mig etc. Myself, well I would not be caught dead in those shirts.

I have designer shirts from Corona beer, Fosters, VB, Stella Artois, Budweiser and Heineken beers and when I am strolling around, I feel the Thais think that I am a man of some substance wearing top of the shelf beer shirts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Do you feel being perceived as a man of substance,is an advantage or disadvantage in Thailand??? 8-[

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » August 2, 2010, 2:23 pm

Lol stan.
I wear my Pabst Blue Ribbon shirt when I'm screaming around town in my armored truck. They pay me when I run them off the road... na khrap. :D

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » August 2, 2010, 2:58 pm

Trying to impress :lol: The first time I came to Thailand ,I spent 3 months in a tanning salon,so I would look ''cool'' :lol:

Felt pretty stupid once I was here,they liked white ,I was dark brown! :lol: :lol: But I don't think I made anyone angry,but the girls seemed to dislike me more than the ''white'' guys! :lol:

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » August 12, 2010, 5:14 am

Well although you can't see the driver you can normally tell by the toy hanging on the exhaust . :lol: :lol:[/quote]

im called bart buffalo,,,, not kill im pees ,,, OMB

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”