LCD tvs

General Udon Thani topics only!
B52
udonmap.com

Re: LCD tvs

Post by B52 » December 3, 2010, 5:59 pm

I bought a LCD TV about 3 years ago (Philips) and it is a good tv. But compared to my recent Samaung Plasma it is not very impressive. I would never buy a LCD tv again as the Plasma are much better imho.

The LED is also impressive but the price tag is not worth it at the moment. The 3D tv's in the UK are still in the Gimic stage as there is hardly nothing to see YET.

Just my two cents

B52

poolshark
udonmap.com

Post by poolshark » December 5, 2010, 7:03 am

imho, you cannot beat a SONY t.v.
the built in surround system in the t.v. itself, would not need a stereo to be hooked up to it.

I believe the man at the helm in samsung was once a top executive in SONY.
this would explain the rise in quality of SAMSUNG over the last few years.

YES, the SONY will cost a little more than the others, but remember "you get what you pay for"

But still SONY are tops for cutting edge picture display and performance.

Beware when buying a T.V., as some are H.D.READY and some are FULL H.D.
there is a difference.

The T.V. might be H.D.READY, but you wont get a H.D.picture on it, unless you buy a special adaptor to bring it up to the higher resolution.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 5, 2010, 9:16 am

Hi,
Never heard of a LCD or any other "thin" T.V. with good quality sound, using internal speakers. ie. for Bass you need a big speaker, a small one will not give good quality. Min. size would be at least 12 inches. dia. and depth. The LCD. T.V. does not lend itself to very good quality sound due to its physical size etc.. If you alter the size to get good quality speakers installed, you are defeating the object of having a slim T.V. Also speakers should be placed around the room, not in one spot, hence surround sound. Speakers put in plastic containers also do not give the best sound reproduction.
You get TVs, Hi-Fi's etc. quoting figures like, "freq. response 200Hz to 22,000Hz.". When I worked we give our first year students a test to see what freq. range they can hear. Very few got up to 16,000Hzs, average was 14,000Hz. And these were 17 year old students. As you get older this drops to about 12,000Hz. in most people. Myself I could just get up to 12KHz. when I was 60yrs.
The main thing is that if you are happy with the sound, that is all you need, as you will be the one listening to it.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 5, 2010, 9:34 am

tv's in thailand, in one way it doesn't really matter what brand you buy, as most of them are all made in china and when you open them up you can exchange the spare parts from your samsung to an lg or a philips, because the components are all made i the same chinese factory..... , the more expensive ones are sometimes made in korea
( samsung , LG) but still same chinese components inside, as of what to buy , lcd , led , plasma....
the best to buy is led , but they are still a little bit to expensive...., lcd is also still ok , as plasma is getting outdated and will disappear in the near future...,as they also use way to much electric....
so my advice would be do not look at what brand , but look at the different images they provide and choose the one you are most comfortable with, most of the tv are HD ,and look at what connections are available up to your needs..
(f.e connecting pc or external HD to tv etc...) and most of all compare prices good so you not end up paying to much...
good luck....

pje
udonmap.com

Post by pje » December 5, 2010, 9:54 am

Based on the common theory on the limits of human vision, to see all the detail a 32" 1080p HDTV can produce, your maximum seating distance is 3.9 feet.

Here are some good advice regarding tv size and seating distance.
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 6, 2010, 6:01 pm

only small info, was in makro nongkhai today, they have lcd sanyo 9.990 bath, 32 inch, also a 42 for 16.990 bath, was in a hurry , did not look hd or not , normally most are hd now, but as makro nongkhai has them, maybe look makro udon thani, must have same....( btw , i was surprised , makro nongkhai bigger choice everything than udon)
another small advice , if you have price makro go look same tv in digital , ( udon saengsathit) i am sure you can bargain same price there and the have repair service , as makro has not.....
good luck......

joebloger
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by joebloger » August 2, 2011, 12:44 pm

when do they expect to transmit in H.D. Can you obtain a set top box to receive the H.d. signal for sets that do not have HD

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by KHONDAHM » August 3, 2011, 2:24 am

I recently waited 2 weeks to grab a 40" LED on special sale for THB 19,000 - 1 day only at Home Pro. That LED TV is regularly priced at THB 32,990. Picked up a great matching home theater system for THB 9,000 normally priced at THB 13,300+. Then there was some other store combo discount which knocked off another 7% or so.

It pays to shop in advance, chat it up with employees, and ask them about upcoming special promos and combos. Sam in the electronics section will take care of you. He is a fellow American (ethnic Thai) from Alaska which makes the conversation all the more enjoyable.

I dunno when they will transmit in HD, though. Don't care much either as I download movies or stream Netflix, Hulu, etc. over my VPN.

douglas
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by douglas » August 3, 2011, 12:01 pm

Hi,
Accord to Truevision mag. they have been broadcasting H.D. for a while. And are adding more chs. in HD. In this months mag on front page it says. Reality ch. H.D.. HBO. H.D.. True sport H.D.. True sport H.D.2. National Geographic ch. H.D.. Discovery world H.D.. Star movies H.D.. Fox. H.D. AXN. H.D.. Concerts H.D.. Inside, it's all in Thai, wife says they have been doing this for a while. I'll blame her if this is incorrest.
We have not got a set that will recieve H.D. and i find it hard to warrent the extra payment to recieve it. On checking found that it is 3D transmissions, that are only in BKK area yet. Suppose it will be more money we will have to pay to True if we want to recieve this. When it comes. Plus another set.
My next set will be H.D.. Not worried about tx.ions, will only use it for DVDs and Video camara stuff. Im happy with watching above chs. without H.D.
T.V.'s are one of the few things that have gone down in price, over the years. Unless you want to get the lastest one as soon as it comes out. Then you pay the top price. I prefer to wait until they have ironed out any snags on a new set and brought the price down, to a reasonable level.
Cheers Doug.
When working with T.V's was told the best distance, rule of thumb, to watch a T.V. from is one yard, 3ft. for every foot of the screen size. i.e a 36inch screen, the best distance to view it from is 9 foot.

leehut
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by leehut » August 3, 2011, 6:55 pm

I was going to go for the Phillips LED on the 1 day promotion too, but couldnt wait and bought a 42 inch plasma instead. Ask for Sam by name in Homepro, there isn't much he doesn't know. I've downloaded a good few movies around the 1.5Gb size, and the playback quality is excellent from a USB Memory stick. I wish I had set up a Slingbox now, before I left the UK. The quality from the Sky channels is very good, and you can watch every channel.

parrot
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by parrot » August 3, 2011, 7:14 pm

My understanding of HD in Thailand is: it's available for those who get UBC over cable. It's not available over satellite and to the best of my knowledge, UBC cable is not in Udon.

As for Sam at Homepro....what a breath of fresh air. He actually knows his trade....better than folks in places like Circuit City/Best Buy etc in the US. And he speaks technical English!

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by KHONDAHM » August 3, 2011, 10:15 pm

leehut wrote:I was going to go for the Phillips LED on the 1 day promotion too, but couldnt wait and bought a 42 inch plasma instead. Ask for Sam by name in Homepro, there isn't much he doesn't know. I've downloaded a good few movies around the 1.5Gb size, and the playback quality is excellent from a USB Memory stick. I wish I had set up a Slingbox now, before I left the UK. The quality from the Sky channels is very good, and you can watch every channel.
Not too late. Get a StrongVPN account and connect to a UK VPN server. Bam! You can watch Sky as if you were in your flat in the West End. You'll likely only get 50% or so normal speed while on the VPN, so you might want to bump up your service with your ISP.

douglas
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by douglas » August 4, 2011, 1:38 pm

Hi,
Just been to Big C this morning, Near Airport. Looking at T.V.s. First one i seen was a 3D one, 50inch, i think, the price shocked me, over 49,000B, a smaller 40inch one? at 41,000B. I said no thanks. LCD/plasma T.V.'s 32inch, from just under 9,000 to 14,000. The one i liked was just over10,000B. Had all that i required. Will check in other places. The 40inch LCD/plasma were 17,000 to 22,000B. Depends on what you want with them. i.e connect to computer etc. etc. All were full HD ready. I could not tell much difference between the pic. on a LCD or Plasma. Viewed from all angles they appear the same. Still viewing in a shop is not recomended, best to view it at home, where you will be using it, before you buy. Heard that, years ago, at the BBC, a person touched a plasma screen and it burnt his fingers, don't want this happening, with the ankle snappers around.
Asked the salesman and he said True had been broadcasting H.D. for a while now, via sat. His words. Also just heard them plugging H.D., over sat, on True sport. Althought my Thai. is not good, That is what it sounded like. Wife not in to correct me. She had to go to work, to pay for all the stuff.
Cheers Doug.

leehut
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by leehut » August 4, 2011, 2:19 pm

Thanks Khondahm, I already have a PureVPN account.
A bar owner in BKK showed me a slingbox he had set up to his Sky Box in the UK, and it was pretty impressive. You can get all the channels you can get on your Sky Box back home, not just the few on Sky Anywhere/Sky Go.
This might give you an idea if you have never seen one before:

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/ind ... sic-review

Aardvark
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by Aardvark » August 4, 2011, 3:02 pm

douglas wrote:Hi,
Just been to Big C this morning, Near Airport. Looking at T.V.s. First one i seen was a 3D one, 50inch, i think, the price shocked me, over 49,000B, a smaller 40inch one? at 41,000B. I said no thanks. LCD/plasma T.V.'s 32inch, from just under 9,000 to 14,000. The one i liked was just over10,000B. Had all that i required. Will check in other places. The 40inch LCD/plasma were 17,000 to 22,000B. Depends on what you want with them. i.e connect to computer etc. etc. All were full HD ready. I could not tell much difference between the pic. on a LCD or Plasma. Viewed from all angles they appear the same. Still viewing in a shop is not recomended, best to view it at home, where you will be using it, before you buy. Heard that, years ago, at the BBC, a person touched a plasma screen and it burnt his fingers, don't want this happening, with the ankle snappers around.
Asked the salesman and he said True had been broadcasting H.D. for a while now, via sat. His words. Also just heard them plugging H.D., over sat, on True sport. Althought my Thai. is not good, That is what it sounded like. Wife not in to correct me. She had to go to work, to pay for all the stuff.
Cheers Doug.
Douglas, I suggest you stick with the LCD and give the Plasma a miss, unless you like burning Electricity !!

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by KHONDAHM » August 5, 2011, 4:42 am

Beware Phillips brand. Both the LED TV and the home theater unit have trouble with some (not all) movies played from the USB port. 70 or so minutes into the flick and it mysteriously skips to the next movie. Troubleshooted everything in every way. It's something to do with whatever Phillips is using for it's movie playback engine. Tested movies play just fine in all my other devices. I haven't tried playing from DVD and probably won't bother as it is (IMHO) ancient technology requiring too much effort and expense to buy, burn, and store all the movies I have or will have.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by KHONDAHM » August 5, 2011, 4:50 am

leehut wrote:Thanks Khondahm, I already have a PureVPN account.
A bar owner in BKK showed me a slingbox he had set up to his Sky Box in the UK, and it was pretty impressive. You can get all the channels you can get on your Sky Box back home, not just the few on Sky Anywhere/Sky Go.
This might give you an idea if you have never seen one before:

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/ind ... sic-review
I use TVs for entertainment only. PC, iPad2, and iPhone for news and information as they are all portable. I don't have a home, per se, back in the States. \:D/

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by GARYZX6R » August 5, 2011, 7:44 am

Agree Khondahm about Philips TV ,a friend here bought a 42" LCD and used it for 2 weeks before it stopped working. They repaired it and he has it back now but for how long ? He's looking at putting it in the spare room and buying a internet connecting TV ,not the Philips brand I might add.

Sateev
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by Sateev » August 5, 2011, 8:16 am

KHONDAHM wrote:Beware Phillips brand. Both the LED TV and the home theater unit have trouble with some (not all) movies played from the USB port. 70 or so minutes into the flick and it mysteriously skips to the next movie. Troubleshooted everything in every way. It's something to do with whatever Phillips is using for it's movie playback engine. Tested movies play just fine in all my other devices. I haven't tried playing from DVD and probably won't bother as it is (IMHO) ancient technology requiring too much effort and expense to buy, burn, and store all the movies I have or will have.
I would have to agree: Philips consumer electronics are VERY spotty, and, because they aren't much of a market player, at least compared to Samsung, Toshiba and LG, they aren't very responsive on things like USB media playing etc.

I used to buy Philips DVD players, because it was easy to remove the region restrictions, and they mostly played every file format. But a couple of years ago, I bought a DVD recorder (DVD player with a built-in tuner), so I could use my US-purchased Samsung LCD in Thailand, and although it works for that purpose, it frequently chokes on DVDs, and sometimes goes into a mode where the TV says "Mode not supported", and needs to be powered off/on to fix it.

The last good Philips product I bought was a speaker system for my PC.

I have always liked Samsung, but my most recent T260HD TV/Monitor has been a bit of a problem. Seems they wired the VGA connector in a hyper-standard way, and it wouldn't detect the PC signal. Solved by soldering a tiny wire from a pin to ground in the cable connector. Works fine now. Maybe with a better quality cable, it wouldn't have been a problem, but other monitors and TVs work fine.

When it came time to buy a new TV for our cozy living room, I initially wanted a 32" Samsung LED. We saw one on sale at what was then still Carrefour, open box, but in great shape. I actually went down to buy it, and the sales guy set it next to an LG 32" LED. I couldn't believe the difference. The LG was MUCH brighter (and I adjusted them both), and generally a nicer TV. So, that was it. From what I have seen so far, the LG meets all our needs, and plays many (but not all) media formats through it's USB port, although...

In general, USB ports on LCD TVs will never be much of an answer, because file formats are so diverse, and changing all the time, and updating firmware on your TV is not trivial for most TV users. The solution I have used is a WD TV Live http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330 box, connected to a big USB drive, AND, to my network, which includes a file server with many movies and MP3s. I took all my DVDs and ripped them to ISO files, which the WD box plays perfectly. At about $75 on line, it is a really polished and reliable way to play digital media. And it is easy to update the firmware, so new/tweaked file formats are easily accommodated. My wife says the tiny remote is cute. Best thing I bought this year.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

LCD tvs

Post by KHONDAHM » August 5, 2011, 9:29 am

Agree wholeheartedly about LG. We have a couple of Sonys and a couple of LGs - one being the biggun in the TV room. Plasma, but we've never had a problem in the two years we've had it and the picture quality was better than comparative (price wise) LCDs at the time. The new Phillips LED is in our bedroom where only I really watch it with the door closed and the volume at max. I've got the sub-woofer under the bed at +5 volume...and BOY does it feel like a poor man's THX system! :). When the darn movie skips, I plug the USB into a laptop I keep nearby and don the headphones. Sucks, but bearable. Seems to skip only on the really new movies. Old ones seem to play straight through, so I'm thinking a firmware update is in order. Looking into that today.

I'll be sticking to LG from now on as we replace the plasmas over the coming years. Lesson learned.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”