Udon 1961

General Udon Thani topics only!
sgt
udonmap.com

Udon 1961

Post by sgt » September 22, 2010, 5:35 pm

Was there recently an article in either the Bangkok Post or the Nation about the US Marines arriving in Udon around 1961? I'm thinking there was, and I just got an email from my best friend's (killed by agent orange 2002) mom telling me she found a newpaper clipping about the Marines arriving here during his first tour of duty.

Thanks

polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: Udon 1961

Post by polehawk » September 22, 2010, 6:36 pm

I didn't see the newspaper article but came across some interesting forum comments and photos from Marines who were here in 1961:

http://tinyurl.com/USMC-1961

Semper Fi,
polehawk
USMC 1961-65

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » September 22, 2010, 9:21 pm

Thanks for that, believe it or not I stumbled across the same last night trying to see if there was something in the Post or Nation. I have already sent it to some old jarhead friends of mine. The prices sound great, even considering we didn't get paid much of anything in those days. I think if I had been here back then I would have stayed.

My friends mom was wondering if John was in that group and for some reason none of us knew about it or remembered. I think probably just some friends of his although he was in Okinawa during that period of time. There wasn't much I didn't know, but anything is possible.

I know I just read an article, it had some pics, maybe not in Post/Nation about the Marines coming ashore, coming to Udon. Oh well, maybe just "old timers" disease.

Thanks again, appreciate it.
Semper Fi,
Wayne
USMC 1964/67

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » September 23, 2010, 12:41 am

polehawk wrote:I didn't see the newspaper article but came across some interesting forum comments and photos from Marines who were here in 1961:
thanks polehawk , very interesting article and photos , any more please ?.

i made a recent visit to the museum in udon , which was very interesting .
on leaving i paid my donation , then enquired why there was no reference to the
american forces in udon in the 60.s the reply i was given , it was not important for udon history .
i was a tad dissapointed , with the reply . :( thats life.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » September 23, 2010, 2:04 am

Have a look here .... http://udornrtafb.tripod.com/

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”