Pattaya guy here thinkin of moving

General Udon Thani topics only!
meat

Pattaya guy here thinkin of moving

Post by meat » September 27, 2010, 8:19 pm

Well, I'm thinkin about moving up north to Udon. I've lived in Pattaya and I'm getting sick of the bs here. nuff said.

so, down to business...

1) where are the bars? and how much is it for a 'rental' (laos OR thai) =P~ ?
2) beer prices? (i hope it's not more than 60 baht) [-o<
3) how much for a cheap room (near the bars) with wifi?

thanks. 8-[

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Re: Pattaya guy here thinkin of moving

Post by SanukJoe » September 27, 2010, 8:42 pm

Forget Udon, try Sihanoukville (Cambodia), much cheaper and nicer girls, they say...

Joe

meat

Post by meat » September 27, 2010, 9:07 pm

yes, I think Cambo is calling my name. maybe in the future. but I'd like to try out Udon this time around.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » September 27, 2010, 9:23 pm

Joe

Bar fine about 500 baht + the girls are asking about 2000 baht
Beer about 80 to 100 baht + drinks for the girls
Rooms from 600 baht +Wifi 100 baht.
See you soon =;

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » September 27, 2010, 9:42 pm

meat wrote:Well, I'm thinkin about moving up north to Udon. I've lived in Pattaya and I'm getting sick of the bs here. nuff said.
so, down to business...
1) where are the bars? and how much is it for a 'rental' (laos OR thai) =P~ ?
2) beer prices? (i hope it's not more than 60 baht) [-o<
3) how much for a cheap room (near the bars) with wifi?
thanks. 8-[
The only advice I can offer, is to do what I did: come up for a couple of months, get a decent room here:
Aek Udon Apartment
55/5 Phosi Road, Muang. Udon Thani Map Ref P14
Tel. 042-340-999 Mobile. 085-4565-111, 085-4564-111
Email: customerservice @aekudonapartment.com
Web: http://www.aekudonapartment.com/apartmentEn/index.asp

And then make a decision based on your experiences in Udon. FYI, we have the nicest weather mid-November to the end of January.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » September 27, 2010, 9:45 pm

Trick is to drink at the smaller beer bars before hitting the more pricey lady bars. No begging ladies no hassling LB's
Large Leo 60: Chang 50 etc.....
Cheap beer, no hassle bars....

Plenty of reasonable priced rooms. Check the accom page.

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Post by Peterplay » September 27, 2010, 9:52 pm

Really wonderful having people trying to turn Udon in a second Pattaya...

The reaction of Sanukjoe is a wise one, let Udon stay the way it is.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » September 27, 2010, 10:01 pm

Peterplay wrote:Really wonderful having people trying to turn Udon in a second Pattaya...

The reaction of Sanukjoe is a wise one, let Udon stay the way it is.
When I suggested as much on a previous poster (Nutty Park Gossip) I got shot down in flames...
Heres just part of it.........
Horse's for course's Tafia and where all on the same track here in thailand us expacts!!!
I assume you mean expats..
Not all of us mate, some of us are happily married and prefer the quieter bars with reasonably priced beers that I mentioned in my earlier post...where you can meet friends chat, chew the fat or even take your wife or GF.
Why would I pay 100 Baht for a large Leo in NP when I can get it for 60/65 at the Saloon Bar, Fuzzys, D Corrner or the many other small beer bars.
When you live here on a pension the last thing you need is to be ripped off by high priced bars, screaming girls, or pestered by ladyboys.... but if thats what blows your horn you are welcome to it.
As you say horses for courses!!
But do we want Udon recognised as a venue for sex tourists? I dont!!

Philip101
udonmap.com

Post by Philip101 » September 27, 2010, 11:30 pm

girls are asking so 2000THB now????

Dont know where you guys are going, i thought girls only charged that much for those places where they sit behind glass and its a fixed price.

Does anyone here beggining to feel tight when you give a 20 baht tip now to a girl???? it used to be standard but every time i leave the bar now i have an arguement in my head wether i should tip 20 or 100 (not everytime ofcourse)

I for one, hate and i mean HATE pataya, it was the first place i went to in thailand, i was in bangkok a few hours then straight down to pattaya for 3 days, i will never go back.

i hope udon doesnt turn like pattaya but there is no way of stopping it

alot of people forget that alot of felangs in udon dont just come to udon and live, there wife brings them because the family lives near.

more felangs = higher prices + more bars which noone can stop, if a ferang wants to move to udon, they will.

ounce udons done, everyone will begin (its already happening) to nong khai and so on

to be honest i guess you just have to get on wth it \:D/

Udon farang
udonmap.com

Post by Udon farang » September 28, 2010, 11:46 pm

So....you hate Pattaya and want to try Udon. I have a news flash for you. Udon is "exactly" like Pattaya, without the big shopping centers and good restaurants. But then if all you care about is the price of beer and girls, you will fit right in. You will find a lot of Pattaya transplants in Udon to amuse yourself with. Welcome to Pattaya Northeast !!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 29, 2010, 2:31 am

Udon farang wrote:So....you hate Pattaya and want to try Udon. I have a news flash for you.
Udon is "exactly" like Pattaya
, without the big shopping centers and good restaurants. But then if all you care about is the price of beer and girls, you will fit right in. You will find a lot of Pattaya transplants in Udon to amuse yourself with. Welcome to Pattaya Northeast !!

Really?!? I spent about 3 hours in Pattaya way back in 1975, and Udon is nothing like that place. First, there is no ocean. Second, I do not see a number of ladies wandering the streets in Udon with a minimum of clothing, in an inebriated state, and aggressively chasing farang men (I must admit that I do not know the bar scene in Udon since I never frequent those establishments), three, Udon is probably much safer for farangs according to the crime reports one reads on the forum about Pattaya and Phuket. As for the shopping centres, I will take your word for it.

In any case, it is probable that Udon is probably more like Khon Kaen and Khorat (Nakhon Ratchasima) than it is like Pattaya.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 29, 2010, 4:25 am

I think there is a certain level of sarcasm in some of the posts. Basically, if all that matters is beer, bars a girl for the night and a cheap hotel room, there are many more of all of those in Pattaya, and you will not want to stay long in Udon.

Most come to Udon for some other reason; then all of the above are just services which you may, or may not, need and want.

Bilko
udonmap.com

Post by Bilko » September 29, 2010, 4:55 am

Meat, As one poster wrote, you would be wise to give it a dummy run and see for your self, yes there are girls and music etc but more like a gesture in comparison to pataya. to suggest its exactly the same as pataya is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to keep ( THE LIKES OF YOU AND YOUR SORT ) away. Mention the names pataya or patong around these parts is like lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back and enjoy the panick attacks. Udon has its own character and well worth a nosey. I shall end on that note as i feel a backlash coming on.

Happy hunting

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » September 29, 2010, 6:35 am

Most expats that are married probably don't want a ''pattaya P4P scene'' to happen in ''their ''town.Of course,most towns have a P4P scene happening,but w/o the street hustling ***** and the drunk falangs acting out their games in public view with a constancy that changes the viewing perspective of their community,not to mention raising the insecurities of their ''partners'',stressing out some relationships!

I don't know about anybody elses thoughts or feelings on the subject,but I was very happy to see ''falang alley'' disappear across from the main shopping complex!Walking through there with the girls attempting to hustle you into their place and drunken falangs hanging about,was about as poor an image as could have been presented to a community that passed through on a regular basis!

I know that ''punters'' get bored or fed up with their regular ''scene'' and are always looking for ''greener pastures'',lower prices,new girls etc. etc.,but from what I hear and see,the ''pastures'' in this area are not ''greener''!I don't see any ''stunners'' working and all though the beer may be a bit cheaper in most venues,the selection of birds is very small and worn.The prices for the ''quality'' are completely out of whack,IMO!

One sees alot of young ''cuties'' around,but they are not trolling for middle aged/old falangs,therefore ocassionaly it is sickening to see middle aged/older falangs trying to pick them up!The NM beer garden has some cute beer servers,but except for the patronizing service smile,sometimes,I have never seen these girls show the slightest interest in falangs for dating!

I am sure that there are a lot of ''drinkers'' living in the community because they like the cheaper drinking scene,puntersvilles like Pattaya,can get quite expensive when ones life is centered around the bar scene with an ocassional raising of the sex interest,especially for those with minimum pension requirements as the sole income!

With the slowdown in sex trourist traffic to Bangkok in the last few years,probably related to the political turmoil,some of the ''old pros'' have moved North opening shophouse bars with ''hustling girls'' working,but they are the ''quality'' the look better later in the evening after one is plyed with booze!Plenty of LB's on the scene also,but very little hustling of passerbys noted,just the attempt at eye contact or a checking out look!In NK,I personally know of three of these newer establishments being in partnership with some local BIB.Any it is low key.

I ride my bicycle around the town everyday and if I had an interest in playing around in that scene,I have not seen one gal that would attract me,but maybe that si because I don't get drunk :lol: :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 29, 2010, 6:41 am

That was funny, and comprehensive too. Good response.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 29, 2010, 7:38 am

I think Stan has about summed it up. I would just add the comments of a very good friend who actually 'loves" Pattaya.
Yes, I know.. He always comes to Udon for a couple of weeks to see me every year and I accompany him on his head banging rounds .Not to participate myself, but to ensure his safety . :lol: Well this year after just three days he was back on the bus to Pattaya , saying " What a dump" Empty bars,expensive beers, and the girls are the same tired old ones from 10 years ago, but have obviously had a certain part of their anatomy gold plated, judging by the prices they are asking. :-s He,s not kinneiou, but has assessed the value of the sevices he wants, at 1,000bht a night .He didn't find one taker . :shock: He is now ensconced at the beach resort and say's he is happy. So I guess he's found a livelier bar,selling cheaper beer with more financially accomodating ladies.He did say , he's not coming up here next year, I''ll have to go down there . Don't think my missus will stand for that though. :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » September 29, 2010, 8:11 am

much like khonkaenstan said, you might want to try a visit for 1-2 weeks before you make any permanent
plans. it is nothing like patters despite what some might say. you just need a brief vaca from your vaca.
having said that, phuket, pattaya and no doubt areas of bangkok, formerly tourist spots are getting so
riddled with crime, yaba junkies, just problems in general it really does detract from the experience.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » September 29, 2010, 9:09 am

Udon farang wrote:I spent about 3 hours in Pattaya way back in 1975,
Udon farang wrote:Second, I do not see a number of ladies wandering the streets in Udon with a minimum of clothing, in an inebriated state, and aggressively chasing farang m
3 hours in Pattaya 35 years ago. Difficult to compare with today

As far as the scantily dressed girls are concerned I think he should have gone to Specsavers for his next pair of glasses

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 29, 2010, 12:12 pm

Meat,just stick to your guns when you come up here,tell the slappers that 500/1000 is the going rate everywhere in Thailand,unless you are ugly then multiply by 2 or even 3 :D 8)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 29, 2010, 3:43 pm

meat, one thing about Udon, that one does tend to forget is that it is a small town, this is mainly a family orientated town, most of us know most of us, new Pattaya Blood cominghere seeking bars and the like as their only option is really not wanted. I have had experiences of Pattaya people coming here and in the main they are drunken loud-mouthed personages who really are happy in Pattaya or even Phuket, NOW that might be an oversimplification, but I have been to Pattaya on many occasions and to be honest it is a seedy place that deserves what it gets.Udon however is not and does not need those sort of people.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”