Display Your Car Registration...or else!!!

General Udon Thani topics only!
polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: Display Your Car Registration...or else!!!

Post by polehawk » December 16, 2010, 1:46 pm

At least carry a copy of your passbook with you at all times in wallet or glove compartment.

ronniec
udonmap.com

Post by ronniec » December 16, 2010, 2:45 pm

Thanks trubrit I didn't realise that

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 16, 2010, 3:09 pm

I'd guess 100 times back and forth to Nongkai in 14 years, stopped a dozen or so times, cops checked my license and waved me through. No fines. Nongwahsaw same same. Khonkaen highway same. Sakon Nakon highway one fine for speeding (I was). Pattaya cops one fine for driving wrong way on a one-way (I was). I smile and show my Thai license. Cops never asked for passport. 350,000km, 2 legitimate fines. If I wanted to complain about the Thai cops, it'd be about not stopping more of the law-breakers. I don't break the law (well, most of the time) and I don't get fined. I'm just saying......

I do carry a pisspoor copy of my passport page in my wallet and have used that in banks on a few occasions. It always amazes me that they accept it as if it were the real thing.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » December 16, 2010, 6:56 pm

Never been asked to show passport by Thai cops even after involved in accident over a year ago (Thai on motorbike was at fault). Showed Thai driving license and insurance only. No bribe paid and car was fixed at no cost to me. Other guy? I dunno. They threw him in back of a pickup and last seen bouncing down Hwy 2 towards hospital.

Did get fined once while driving to Pattaya. Driving down from the mountains on a winding road with signs showing 40 kph limit. Cop said I was doing 90 but it was a flat out lie. Laughed in his face and paid. He did say I could go to police station off yonder and dispute it but declined his kind offer. :censored:

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » December 17, 2010, 7:24 am

On approaching the Phen checkpoint a while ago, my dear wife suddenly assumed a "Sybil Fawlty" voice:
Slow down!
I am going slowly dear.
Drive on the left!
I am on the left dear.
The tax disc?
The strange coloured sticker on the windscreen dear.
Bperd the lights!
It's midday dear
You better have your licence!
Its in my wallet dear.

All fine at the checkpoint but did get fined 200 baht ........ she wasn't wearing her seatbelt :lol:
Laugh; I pi**ed my pants the rest of the way to Nong Khai

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”