Cheese in Thailand

General Udon Thani topics only!
rogerdoger
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by rogerdoger » January 8, 2011, 10:29 pm

Is it worth producing?

Personally I am not a big cheese lover, only the soft Lancarshire, Cheshire or Wenslydale agrees with me, and only when cold, cooked and it becomes instant puke material. I can tolerate plastic cheeses like in the USA and Australia, but I am not that immpressed.

I do however know how to make cheese, commercially.

Although I am a Thai-o-phile I have to say I am not really sure of their like for cheese, as it does not form a part of my diet in Thailand, though I do enjoyit at home with a glass of red or port. Do Thais like it?

From reading various boards over a number of years I know cheese is in pretty short supply in LOS, and it is expensive.

I understand there could be huge problems with obtaining decent milk, cow or buffalo and of course hygeine problems, but what does anyone think about making cheese in LOS, moreso Udorn, my favourite place?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Cheese in Thailand

Post by BobHelm » January 8, 2011, 10:59 pm

Not sure roger, I think it depends on what you are wanting to & can produce.
My other half thinks I am mad to eat cheese - a cry of "salt" & a wrinkling of her nose is her normal response if I eat it raw ...but she will beat me through the door of somewhere that sells a decent pizza - as would the rest of her family :D
The selection of foreign cheeses is actually quite extensive in Udon now - Topp's & Tesco's have both got their acts together & Macro sells quality foreign cheeses in bulk. Chern Chim & the French owned Coffee outlet (sorry i can't remember its name off the top of my head) near Global also sell a good & different range. However one thing I will agree on is that it is expensive.
I would think that if it could be economically produced then there could well be a market for it...depending on how it could be used & what it tasted like!! :D

rogerdoger
udonmap.com

Post by rogerdoger » January 8, 2011, 11:02 pm

cheers

pongpong
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pongpong » January 8, 2011, 11:40 pm

I have found that many Thais are lactose intolerant which means 'real" Milk yogurt and cheese are a strict no no, I suspect that’s one of the reasons it’s so expensive to buy in Thailand. saying that there is a huge expat market out there to be tapped into. Hope this helps

Paul

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 9, 2011, 12:26 pm

Most dairy products in fact for Thais, they dont like to use butter, milk, and CHEESE , my buddah, ur farang are bahhhh

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » January 9, 2011, 1:24 pm

rogerdoger wrote:Is it worth producing?

Personally I am not a big cheese lover, only the soft Lancarshire, Cheshire or Wenslydale agrees with me, and only when cold, cooked and it becomes instant puke material. I can tolerate plastic cheeses like in the USA and Australia, but I am not that immpressed.

I do however know how to make cheese, commercially.

Although I am a Thai-o-phile I have to say I am not really sure of their like for cheese, as it does not form a part of my diet in Thailand, though I do enjoyit at home with a glass of red or port. Do Thais like it?

From reading various boards over a number of years I know cheese is in pretty short supply in LOS, and it is expensive.

I understand there could be huge problems with obtaining decent milk, cow or buffalo and of course hygeine problems, but what does anyone think about making cheese in LOS, moreso Udorn, my favourite place?

HELLO ALL.
Over the last few weeks i have had many custmoers comment on the pirice /quality of cheese here in los , so much so i have recently reduced the price of the IMPORTED CHEDDAR IN Chern Chim with quite an effect sales having doubled .

200g vacuum sealed pack of a nice imported cheddar for 100 bt , quite literally the best i can do , i do stock other cheeses in 150 g - 1kg sizes including Edam , Gouda , Danish Blu and Swiss/German Emmentaler but only the cheddar is at the special promo price .

A good friend of mine did set up a cheeses procduction factory in Khorat , a purpose built factory a hefty investment , lasted only several months encountering numerous problems both with raw materials , red tape etc , he did produce some soft European style cheeses and Mozzerella but had a lot of difficulty with other kinds cheddar and other hard cheeses. also i remember he did find it very difficult to dipose of the by product whey as there are very stict guidlines for the diposal of waste products here believe it or not.

good luck with what ever you decide to do sir.

mash .......... emmetaler my fav , on rye bread

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » January 10, 2011, 4:55 am

I bought some cheese I believe it was At big C,it was A mistake.Should have went to chern chim.I learned the hard way.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » January 10, 2011, 7:18 am

Cheese expensive in Thailand ? The reason for this is clear boys, it all about udder size. based on my experience ,its very obvious that Thai cows have much smaller Udders than your typical euro or American cow, making of cheese requires lots of milk, small udders less production.
A trip to the local cowshed will quickly confirm this.

On Your typical Euro cow, one can easily sling their udders over each shoulder, have you every seen this on a Thai cow? not likely Mateys, poached eggs come to mind, although I have spotted a few larger varieties around, as usually the bull involved has been well endowed financially and able to improves the cows self esteem, but they don't improve the cows milk production.
Down to the cure, I'm doing my bit by introducing a new bloodline into the local cows, the half Western, half Thai progeny that is growing now will soon result in much bigger and well mammaried cow for the next generation of cheese lovers.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » January 10, 2011, 8:48 am

Hi,
Always get the German Gouda cheese in Tescos. A bit costly, about 150B, but it floats my boat. Very good. I don't eat a lot of cheese but like a bit with pickled onions, hard to find as rocking horse ----. I know there a couple of places that sell them, but none in Tesco etc. Now make my own. Brought some pickling spices from home, nearly finished now, so if anyone knows where i can buy these spices locally i would be grateful to hear where.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 10, 2011, 8:58 am

Chern Chim will do you Heinz pickled onions & another variety I think.
Think you will struggle to find pickling vinegar or the spices in Udon.... maybe BKK...

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » January 10, 2011, 10:07 am

pongpong wrote:I have found that many Thais are lactose intolerant which means 'real" Milk yogurt and cheese are a strict no no, I suspect that’s one of the reasons it’s so expensive to buy in Thailand
...and so unpopular to eat. I am wondering what cheese exactly is put on pizzas here. We had a big discussion last summer in Germany about the 'artificial' cheese (not processed cheese, but completely fake cheese) used on and in so many products now, which is definitely not a german invention, and might be used here without giving it any thought...

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » January 10, 2011, 10:20 am

mate in our pizza shop in kumpawapi we use new zealand mozz and cheddar.2 kilo is about 750 baht.we tried the thai cheeses but they lose to much fat in cooking.nz cheeses r great under the griller etc we bought some english pickled onions from chern chim went great with the cheddar.he also has english malt vinigar a top treat on our fish and chips

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » January 11, 2011, 6:44 pm

I have a friend in Chaing Mai who makes his own cheese, sells a bit of it sent me a few samples I don't what it was but it tasted good/ Once you get passed Cheddar and American you've lost me. He sent by bus got her fast and in perfect condition.

If anyone wants his e-mail P/M me.

pompui
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by pompui » August 7, 2013, 5:20 am

Just been making a note of where to shop for my cheese fetish :D

Aussie/Italian from Chern chim choice
French and Thai from Udon delice
Yank from Villa
Swiss from Nobi
Coon cheese from Tesco

The Floridia cheese from Oz hoping to have the full range Fetta,Pecorino,Ricotta,Mozzorella.

Shado
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by Shado » August 7, 2013, 7:26 am

I've been buying Lemnos Feta at Big C for a while now. The cheese is from Australia. It is quite good.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by udonfox » August 7, 2013, 4:25 pm

Udon delice sell a cheese made in Chiang Mai by an Italian lady,which is cheaper than the other cheeses.However it is not for the faint hearted,very strong taste.I like it,but my eldest daughter who is also a cheesie,thinks it is awful.Each to their own.

KB_Texas

Cheese in Thailand

Post by KB_Texas » August 7, 2013, 4:37 pm

udonfox wrote:Udon delice sell a cheese made in Chiang Mai by an Italian lady,which is cheaper than the other cheeses.However it is not for the faint hearted,very strong taste.I like it,but my eldest daughter who is also a cheesie,thinks it is awful.Each to their own.
If you are speaking of the cheese he has labeled as 'Thai Cheese', I agree it is a bit different for eating. However, if you wrap it in a clean cloth and set it in the back of your refrigerator for 6-8 weeks until it dries out, it does make a very decent 'grating' cheese for pasta and the like, and is considerably cheaper than any Parmesan I have seen here. :)

I have to agree with Pomps, and his list. I pretty much do the same as he does. I enjoy a wide variety of cheeses. My wife, other than Parmesan on her pasta and the cheese on a pizza, not so much. And she makes a horrible face when I eat any sort of bleu cheese. ;)

KB
Last edited by KB_Texas on August 7, 2013, 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meat & 2 Veg
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by Meat & 2 Veg » August 7, 2013, 4:38 pm

Just tried the new Ferrarini Gorgonzola DOP that's been added to the stock range at CC ,,,, cracking strong cheese .

udonthani
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by udonthani » August 7, 2013, 5:15 pm

I do not know any Khon Thai eating cheese. Thais are not for diary products and with them most Asians, they lack the enzyme that breaks it down (lactose), I love cheese, but good cheese is very expensive here, you can get it in Lotus, special Danish cheese, :D uhmmm
Moon

pompui
udonmap.com

Cheese in Thailand

Post by pompui » August 12, 2013, 3:06 am

A good cheese and a good wine,slowly more choice here,the old Big C gets my backup vote if needing some cheese quick,easy parking there :lol: 8)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”