Beware...new internet dating scam!

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 1, 2011, 2:03 pm

My wife's cousin in Bangkok has recently been receiving email communications from a supposed fellow from England off the dating website asiadating.com. On his third email he said that he wanted to prove his infatuation with her by sending her a gold ring and necklace and 7,500 GBP (366,000 Baht) cash in a package from Sky Delivery Services. He managed to get her name and address before supposedly shipping the parcel. Also in his email was the name of a website, www.skydeliverys.com, and a tracking number so she could track the shipment. When one goes to the website and enters the tracking number, is looks very legitimate and shows the package going from London to Frankfort and on to Malaysia where the delivery was interrupted. Then comes another very official looking email from the management of Sky Delivery Services which explains to the cousin that the parcel was intercepted in Malaysia and was found to contain currency. They are requesting a customs duty of 1890 Malaysian Ringgit (19,243 Baht) which has to be satisfied to ensure complete delivery of the parcel to the cousin. The email gives a manager's name and number to call for further instructions on how to remit payment. Hopefully this is where the story ends for the cousin after I have advised her to discontinue any further communication with the scam artist.

This must be a fairly successful hoax because the scammers have gone to great lengths to create a phony website for supposedly tracking the shipment. They must also have in place someone who can pose as the manager of the delivery service when the victim calls to get further instructions for remittance of the "custom's tax". A check with Google yields no results for said company but does mention other such hoaxes that are being perpetrated on the net. Amazing what folks will do when they want to extract money from someone. Some girls are here in Thailand on the internet all hours of the day fishing for a sucker to send them money, and someone's on the other end fishing for them. I guess that makes the girl the "suckee"!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Beware...new internet dating scam!

Post by jackspratt » February 1, 2011, 2:17 pm

Interesting, professional and complex scam sfg.

The skydeliveries.com website you link to comes up with a big, red O on Web of Trust (a Firefox add-on), meaning it has been flagged as a dangerous site.

Interestingly enough there is a legitimate (apparently) company called Sky Delivery Services PLC http://skydeliveryservices.com/contact.php

Another good reason to switch to Firefox + WoT. :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 1, 2011, 2:54 pm

It is a scam that has been 'doing the rounds' for a while now. Different 'company name' but usually in Malaysia. I have a feeling another member reported a similar attempt a while back.

Yes agree jack, good value (FF &WOT) for nothing!! :D :D

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 1, 2011, 3:03 pm

jackspratt wrote:Interesting, professional and complex scam sfg.

The skydeliveries.com website you link to comes up with a big, red O on Web of Trust (a Firefox add-on), meaning it has been flagged as a dangerous site.

Interestingly enough there is a legitimate (apparently) company called Sky Delivery Services PLC http://skydeliveryservices.com/contact.phpAnother good reason to switch to Firefox + WoT. :D
Jackspratt, the website in bold above also looks questionable. When one tries to click on the various links to see the services offered, there is no further information...just like the www.skydeliverys.com site. It seems to be set up to conduct the same kind of hoax. If they have 250 delivery points worldwide, one would think they could be found on Google.

Latest update: Cousin just got a call from an English speaking lady who purported to be the manager of the Malaysian transit point where the parcel is being held up awaiting the "custom's tax". She hung up on her.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » February 1, 2011, 3:35 pm

Yes there was a thread on this last September.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/e ... 18496.html
My wife's cousin ran into it and fortunately her Father told her to check with me first. I posted the details about the sixth post down on the above thread. They've added a new twist, the phony company. The email she got said it was from Malaysian Customs. And the followup phone call from an English speaking lady is a brilliant addition. I was happy to be able to nip this one in the bud.

And I don't even use Firefox. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 1, 2011, 6:06 pm

Unfortunately jimbo, not everyone is going to be in a position to avail themselves of your knowledge.

Those who can't may benefit from using FF + WoT. :D

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 1, 2011, 6:18 pm

BobHelm wrote:It is a scam that has been 'doing the rounds' for a while now. Different 'company name' but usually in Malaysia. I have a feeling another member reported a similar attempt a while back.

Yes agree jack, good value (FF &WOT) for nothing!! :D :D
Twas me Bob the lass in the dress shop next to CC came in and showed me the docs , she was being set up / scammed the same way but a different courier company name . Sneaky buggars.

mASH .... PREFERS JAM TO SCAM

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » February 2, 2011, 8:55 am

semperfiguy wrote:My wife's cousin in Bangkok has recently been receiving email communications from a supposed fellow from England off the dating website asiadating.com. On his third email he said that he wanted to prove his infatuation with her by sending her a gold ring and necklace and 7,500 GBP (366,000 Baht) cash in a package from Sky Delivery Services.

This must be a fairly successful hoax because the scammers have gone to great lengths to create a phony website for supposedly tracking the shipment.
Such scams are "fairly successful" because of greed at the receiving end. A gold ring and 7.500GBP, just like that eh!

Had a friend websearching for a used car, he found a deal too good to be true, seller wanted to meet buyer 400kms from his place with some nonsense explanation and pay due in advance of meeting via Western union in buyers name at meeting point/date, the seller must have a way to collect the funds before the meeting. I convinced my friend to walk away from the "deal", but is was hard :shock:

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » February 2, 2011, 11:17 am

I would not worry, those malaysians that own sky deliveries are probally nice trust worthy people :^o

Domain name: SKYDELIVERYS.COM

Registrant Contact:

Helmy Zin ()

Fax:
4005 Jalan Angsa Mas 4
Taman Angsa Mas
Hang Tuah Jaya, Melaka 76100
MY

Administrative Contact:

Helmy Zin ([email protected])
+60.0126556901
Fax: +1.5555555555
4005 Jalan Angsa Mas 4
Taman Angsa Mas
MY

Technical Contact:

Helmy Zin ([email protected])
+60.0126556901
Fax: +1.5555555555
4005 Jalan Angsa Mas 4
Taman Angsa Mas
MY

Name Servers:
NS1.MILENIAHOST.COM
NS2.MILENIAHOST.COM

Creation date: 01 Dec 2010 00:53:00
Expiration date: 30 Nov 2011 19:53:00

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 2, 2011, 11:39 am

[quote="ting_tong"]I would not worry, those malaysians that own sky deliveries are probally nice trust worthy people :^o

Good work ting-tong! Thanks for tracking down these buggers. It still amazes me to see the extent that these scam artists will go to extract money from some unsuspecting guy/gal. This one is really a very thought out scam.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » February 2, 2011, 11:56 am

Maybe above adress details are just the hosting company.
Cause at that adress is also:

CiptaDigital Internet Business School
4005 Jalan Angsa Mas 4,
Taman Angsa Mas,
76100 Hang Tuah Jaya,
Melaka Malaysia

Phone:+60126556901
Fax:+6063175462

Usually when the registrant contact is the same as the administrative & technical contact
you dont know who is behind the website.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » February 2, 2011, 12:32 pm

Yes it's too bad that rarely does any Law Enforcement track these scumbags down and prosecute them. They target very vulnerable people and are probably making a fortune off of their scams. I know in the case of my wife's cousin, she was convinced that she had latched onto the British version of Donald Trump who was madly in love with her and if she could just get him over here and between her legs she would be set for life. It took a lot of convincing by me and her father to get her to realize that it was just a scam.

These girls are not stupid and know full well the power of the pu$$y. They know that they are beautiful, sexy and know how to please a man. They think that they can use that little furry thing to get whatever they want. In most cases of course, they can, but it also leaves them vulnerable to scammers. It's the same as we males who think with our small heads rather than the big ones and get taken to the cleaners. Just have to be on your guard and follow the old adage "trust, but verify". [-X

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 12, 2011, 12:36 pm

I noticed the following email in my junk folder today regarding www.skydeliverys.com. I believe they're requesting that I remove references to this website otherwise legal action will be taken.

"Please be informed, www.ciptadigital.com thru registration email:[email protected] is a Internet Business Consultant and Training Company. As such, we are registering the domains in accordance to customer request. In this case of www.skydeliverys.com, 'Prince Emarko' is the owner of the domain. His details as below: Name: Prince Emarko Email:[email protected] Phone:+60166805149. With this, please remove all name(3 names) of this from your website: Helmy Zin CiptaDigital.Com [email protected] Please remove these names from your website before any legal action taken to you and your company. Please be informed. Regards, CiptaDigital.Com"

Fist thing that stands out to me is the name Prince Emarko, as far as I can see there is only a Prince Marko who was a Serbian individual from 1371 to 1395. Secondly if there was a Prince Emarko I doubt he'd be running a dodgey Malaysian courier company. And surely royalty don't give out their contact details or use emails like [email protected]. BTW I just did a Google on that email address and it turns out Prince Emarko is selling a 2007 Honda Accord on Nigeriacarmarket.com

Oh well it gave me a laugh at least.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”