how not to win a thai lovely

General Udon Thani topics only!
KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Re: how not to win a thai lovely

Post by KHONDAHM » February 27, 2011, 11:27 pm

It's always the same silly arguments about sin-sod, isn't it? I say 'silly' because it really is.

In the west you smile and give a diamond which costs $x thousand and no sin sod. No problem.

In Thailand, you smile and give sin sod In the amount of $x thousand and no diamond. No problem.

Same-same. The difference is in farangs' silly minds.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » February 28, 2011, 6:05 am

I think the silly mind is the one that is not interested at all in the culture and the social values of the people they live with, yet try to impose their own biased opinion based on generalized assumptions.

Of course this doesn't apply to anybody on this forum :-"

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 28, 2011, 6:37 am

Frankie 1 wrote:I think the silly mind is the one that is not interested at all in the culture and the social values of the people they live with, yet try to impose their own biased opinion based on generalized assumptions.

My point exactly . =D>
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » February 28, 2011, 12:37 pm

OT paid 20k sin sod when he married his thai WFB. That was the sum asked for. Her parents were very pleased, to them it was a fortune. I couldn't have cared less, I'd have paid more if need be. I suppose over the years they've (mum and dad) gained 100 times that amount from me one way or another. They knew what they were doing when they allowed their daughter to marry me.
Getting back on subject - how not to win a thai lovely - OT can't answer that one. Always won.

OT................. \:D/

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 28, 2011, 5:41 pm

Frankie 1 wrote:I think the silly mind is the one that is not interested at all in the culture and the social values of the people they live with, yet try to impose their own biased opinion based on generalized assumptions.

I can Speak Thai, CAN YOU?

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » February 28, 2011, 8:08 pm

DermotC wrote:

Yes,but can't remember a conversation in Thai that needed much knowledge!the subject material is so simple,it doesn't take much to understand it!
I don't have conversations with Thais anymore,as there is nothing of interest to talk about and I am much happier without dealing with them in except superficially,so sawadee and a smile will suffice.Those Thais I do associate with,actually speak English and have an understanding and acceptance of my values!
Of course ,I have only been here 13+ years,so maybe I have it all wrong,but it works well for me! =;

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 28, 2011, 11:33 pm

Stan, are you frankie aswell? lol

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » March 1, 2011, 6:23 am

DermotC wrote:

If that is a reaction to what I wrote then you probably have to work on your reading skills of the English language first. ;)

Does being able to speak a language say anything about your interest in the culture or social values of the people?

Does being able to speak a language mean that you are really interested in the people or the culture? Or does it mean that you can tell Thai people some generalized assumptions in their own language?

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » March 1, 2011, 8:12 am

I think the silly mind is the one that is not interested at all in the culture and the social values of the people they live with, yet try to impose their own biased opinion based on generalized assumptions.

Of course this doesn't apply to anybody on this forum
we can be interested in our new country of residence social values and culture,but it does not have to be imposed on us as well.
when immigrants arrive in australia,britain,usa,do you think they leave there beliefs behind in the country they came from i dont think so ,when you marry someone from a different culture and live in there country or they live in our country there has to be respect of cultures both ways.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 1, 2011, 11:42 am

Frankie 1 wrote:
DermotC wrote:

If that is a reaction to what I wrote then you probably have to work on your reading skills of the English language first. ;)

Does being able to speak a language say anything about your interest in the culture or social values of the people?

Does being able to speak a language mean that you are really interested in the people or the culture? Or does it mean that you can tell Thai people some generalized assumptions in their own language?
Yes to the first question and no to the second! My reading skills are fine Frankie. Obviously you were so interested in thai culture that you havent learned the language. You seem to like to pontificate to other people on what they should do here as far as Thai culture goes.

Its up to every individual how far or how little they want to delv into Thai Culture. They dont need someone like you standing in a pulpit telling them they should go futher into the culture when you cant even speak Thai.

Please get off your soap box and go get your shine box!

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » March 1, 2011, 1:44 pm

DermotC wrote:
Frankie 1 wrote:
DermotC wrote:

Yes to the first question and no to the second! My reading skills are fine Frankie. Obviously you were so interested in thai culture that you havent learned the language. You seem to like to pontificate to other people on what they should do here as far as Thai culture goes.

Its up to every individual how far or how little they want to delv into Thai Culture. They dont need someone like you standing in a pulpit telling them they should go futher into the culture when you cant even speak Thai.

Please get off your soap box and go get your shine box!

Thank you, you just made my point.

That is, accusing out of assumptions. I never said that I can't speak Thai. ...however you assume.... and then are convinced of your BS assumptions.

Further, I am reacting to the whining and complaining of people oon this forum about a culture they know little about. Then I say, learn about the culture before you make false accusations towards Thai people.

I wasn't talking to you directly, however you seem to react as you thougt it would apply to you, that's entirely up to you.

There is more BS and Spam coming from some regular posters these days than there is coming from Trolls.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » March 1, 2011, 1:47 pm

grozza wrote:

Of course this doesn't apply to anybody on this forum
we can be interested in our new country of residence social values and culture,but it does not have to be imposed on us as well.
when immigrants arrive in australia,britain,usa,do you think they leave there beliefs behind in the country they came from i dont think so ,when you marry someone from a different culture and live in there country or they live in our country there has to be respect of cultures both ways.
Yes, exactly. We complain about the behaviour of immigrants in our own country, but in fact a lot of us show the same behavour when we emigrate.

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » March 1, 2011, 2:32 pm

Yes, exactly. We complain about the behaviour of immigrants in our own country, but in fact a lot of us show the same behavour when we emigrate.
i dont think your right there what would happen if we got off the plane in bangkok and went to the government with our hand out asking for a place to stay and some money to eat,we would be laughed at.
when farangs come to thailand they have to look after themselves,sure we might have different beliefs and ways but in general we dont disrespect people and look down on people if they dont have the same belief as us.

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » March 1, 2011, 4:10 pm

grozza wrote:
i dont think your right there what would happen if we got off the plane in bangkok and went to the government with our hand out asking for a place to stay and some money to eat,we would be laughed at.
when farangs come to thailand they have to look after themselves,sure we might have different beliefs and ways but in general we dont disrespect people and look down on people if they dont have the same belief as us.
correct ,,,

the civlised west , should learn lessons , about thai culture ,
from this third world coutry .

it would be a brilliant idea if immigrants to the UK, had to buy a visa ,
or prove, they have money in the bank,,,,,,frank.

BTTopic,
IMHO , it,s the silly sods ,
that pay the sin sod.
LOL :D

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 1, 2011, 4:23 pm

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » March 1, 2011, 5:41 pm

HEARD IT ALL BEFORE .
LOL :D

Henrie
udonmap.com

Post by Henrie » March 1, 2011, 9:33 pm

Franki, on internet is sin sod the biggest scam there is. Look at Thai love links, they all want to marry you.
Why?? Money is the thing here all about. It tooks me two years to find a good lady. All that sin sod things and thai culture things is a misty rubbisch thing. In dutch, " Je wordt belazerd waar je bij staat."
I speak Thai to. learned it in less then two years, give me many profits, my wife do no speak englisch, can speak to her, have a better live with her. But has not anything to do with Thai culture. The most of Thai culture for farang people is to pay for anything , so ..................

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » March 2, 2011, 5:31 am

I agree with most posters sin sod is just a way to try and Extract money from a falang that is a first timer and not up on the way and means of romance in Thailand.
I am also convinced that "Money number one" is there first thought not the same as a western woman where love and trust come before how much you have.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » March 2, 2011, 6:52 am

i emigrated to south africa.with only 100 pounds in my pocket.no hadouts there and no hire purchase to imigrants. i worked hard and bought as i went along.did not force my religion on the sa society. they accepted me and vice a verca.

captain gon
udonmap.com

Post by captain gon » March 2, 2011, 12:26 pm

I would like to thank OT, Shado and Frankie for making some very informative posts on this thread. The sinsod subject show that we farangs are very far apart in background and experience.

And Dermot, is this a forum or a pissing contest? :?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”