Pick Up

General Udon Thani topics only!
THAIICE
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by THAIICE » April 18, 2011, 1:36 pm

Hi Guys.
When I move to Udon this summer I will be looking to buy and or rent a pick up - double cab, four wheel drive automatic I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of costs ie second hand ( couple of years ) leasing if possible or renting. From what I have seen on my very short visits there Toyota and Izu seem to be the most popular Also the best place to buy - I have seen loads of forecourts full of the things but dont want to get burned so any help you can give would be welcome
Thanks in advance

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by jackspratt » April 18, 2011, 2:18 pm

My advice would be to keep your eye on the Udon Map classifieds.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/c ... -f107.html

Expats generally feel safer when buying from another farang - although nothing is guaranteed of course.

THAIICE
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by THAIICE » April 18, 2011, 2:20 pm

Thanks

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by Aardvark » April 18, 2011, 3:51 pm

Also have an Auction once a month, but be careful of the true ownership of the Vehicle !!

randerson79
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by randerson79 » April 18, 2011, 5:24 pm

I just went through the same thing. Looked and looked. Used pickups hold their value here in Thailand. I spent the extra 50 -100 thousand and bought a new one. Paid 730,000 baht for a nice top of the line Toyota. New car warranty no worries for a long time. Drive it for 2 years and sell it. Beware of used vechiles here!!!!

tutone
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by tutone » April 18, 2011, 5:48 pm

THAIICE wrote:Hi Guys.
When I move to Udon this summer I will be looking to buy and or rent a pick up - double cab, four wheel drive automatic I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of costs ie second hand ( couple of years ) leasing if possible or renting. From what I have seen on my very short visits there Toyota and Izu seem to be the most popular Also the best place to buy - I have seen loads of forecourts full of the things but dont want to get burned so any help you can give would be welcome
Thanks in advance
Unless you have a specific need for 4-wheel drive, I think its a waste of money here. Mostly flat and paved roads. Given the price and unpredictability of used vehicles here a new one is your best bet I think. Shop around for the best price, any of the major brands should give you good service. I have a Toyota and they have good service. Actually identified and fixed free under warranty a couple of things that I wasn't even aware of. I also think that a big vehicle here is a bit more of a problem when you consider the narrow streets and parking. Sometimes wish my truck wasn't so big. Good luck.

parrot
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by parrot » April 18, 2011, 7:00 pm

See my post at http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/u ... 20696.html about second hand vehicles. If you buy one, I'd advise taking it to a reputable garage to have it checked with a fine tooth comb.

Galee
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by Galee » April 18, 2011, 9:06 pm

A friend of mine has a Ford Ranger for sale. Tel. 0861458105.

randerson79
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by randerson79 » April 18, 2011, 9:14 pm

Great post parrot! Now I'm REAL glad I bought a new pickup!

bugseda
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by bugseda » April 20, 2011, 7:16 pm

Thaiice,

To your question of renting...Budget charges about 40,000 baht per month for a new 4 wheel drive, 4 door automatic pick-up. I'm sure you can find cheaper with one of the local Thai owned rent a car places.

As far as buying used, very good advice given in the prior posts. BE CAREFUL

In addition to all the totaled vehicles that are super glued back together without any type of government over-site, there was major flooding last year in the Issan areas and hundreds of cars and trucks were damaged and totaled out by the insurance companies.

So now you have Somchai and all his brothers who brought up all these totaled flood damaged vehicles cheap and with lots of Thai know how, all those totaled vehicles are now coming onto the market place.

This is not a slam on Thai workmanship as this kind of stuff happens everywhere. I'm just saying.......once a vehicle has been submerged for days or weeks, it will never ever be a worthwhile investment.

I'm not saying you cannot buy a decent second hand truck/car in Thailand, you can but be careful buying from the dealers especially the small car lots owned by Somchai and his brothers.

Buying from a friend of a friend and/or a farang is safer than from Somchai and his friends.

I'm not sure about major truck dealers i.e. Ford/Nissan/Toyota/Isuzu/Mitsubishi but they may have limited warranties available for second hand vehicles, maybe someone else knows.

And I agree that second hand vehicles hold their value way more than back home...I do not know why this is except that repairs are way cheaper here than back home.

Personally I rented vehicles (trucks & motorbikes)for the first 2 years I was here because I wasn't sure if Thailand was where I wanted to retire. Going on 9 years and I'm still not sure if I will stay here but now I always buy my vehicles.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Regards,

THAIICE
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by THAIICE » April 21, 2011, 9:33 am

Thanks for the info

old-timer
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by old-timer » April 21, 2011, 10:03 am

[quote="tutone"]Unless you have a specific need for 4-wheel drive, I think its a waste of money here. quote]

OT bought a 4x4 Toyota Vigo Auto Diesel Version and has had to use the 4 wheel drive twice in 5 years. My advice is buy a new one, keep the services up to date, keep it clean and you will have trouble free motoring for years and it will sell on for a reasonable price when you decide to change. I got the 4 door version, inside it's the same as a car, just a bit higher up. I've put the motorbike and luggage on the back of the pick up and taken three kids, myself and wife on holiday many times and it's not overloaded.

OT.............. \:D/

pgthai
udonmap.com
Location: UDON THANI, NONG KHAI, BUENG KAN, SAKON NAKHON, NAKHON PHANOM, MUKDAHAN, JOMTIEN BEACH

Pick Up

Post by pgthai » April 21, 2011, 10:40 am

2010 FORD RANGER (WILDTRUCK) DOUBLE CAB, 4 DOOR, FULLY AUTO : FOR RENT & SALE, Tel: 0844511884

THAIICE
udonmap.com

Pick Up

Post by THAIICE » April 22, 2011, 8:52 am

there in Aug if still for rent Im very interested-- they keep extending me contract so stuck here for a while
Thanks Baz

pgthai
udonmap.com
Location: UDON THANI, NONG KHAI, BUENG KAN, SAKON NAKHON, NAKHON PHANOM, MUKDAHAN, JOMTIEN BEACH

Pick Up

Post by pgthai » April 22, 2011, 10:26 am

Ok Baz, Call me when you arrive in August. Tel: 0844511884, email: [email protected]

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”