Udon Farangs

General Udon Thani topics only!
Prenders88
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Prenders88 » May 15, 2011, 7:38 pm

From Stickman W/ending 15th May 2011.

"They're going to hate me on UdonMap, but I have to say that the term "Udon farangs" is heard more and more in Bangkok. This is a derogotary term used by some Bangkok-based farangs referring to what they perceive as less successful or perhaps down and out Westerners you see in some parts of rural Isaan. The funny thing is that you're much less likely to actually see them in Udon Thani than you are in some other places. Udon might have more foreigners than any other province in Isaan, but down and out most of them aren't - at least those in the city2.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by kjellsnell » May 15, 2011, 7:56 pm

He he.....depends on what kind of farrangs the BKK:s talking about......as a longtime expat in Udon i dont socialice whit other then a handfull of farrangs ........and i dont feel lonely cause i have my family and many Thai friends. Accely i live outside Udon but the firsth year in Izzan i live in Aduljadejj soi Ha......but, i cant say i miss this area! Maybe cause i dont visit bars and dont drink alcohol.......

I think its the same whit the BKK:s farrangs......but one thing i know.....you have god ones and bad ones bouth in Izzan and BKK.......

Regards Kjell

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Udon Farangs

Post by pienmash » May 15, 2011, 8:04 pm

Well the first 7 words of mr sticks article are spot on , cheeky sod ,,, obviously these Bangkok ballbags dont know their arse from their elbow and must think we all walk around in denim dungerees , have a piece of straw sticking out the corner of our mouths marry our sisters n keep rabbits in the front room , didnt realise there are yuppies in Bkk , if so and they are welcome to it i lived there for 3 years - dirty , polluted gridlocked hell hole and mega expensive for most things .

Maybe better they think this way and the buggars will not venture up here .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by jackspratt » May 15, 2011, 8:18 pm

How is/are Stickman, or his correspondents, relevant to the real world?

The guy has built a moderately successful website based on the continued input of alternatively (but not mutually exclusive), the down-and-out, the rejected in love, the hopelessly besotted, the mathematically challenged, or just plain dumb, worst that the west has to offer Thailand.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by BobHelm » May 15, 2011, 8:55 pm

I thought the real person behind Stickman changed a few years ago when his real identity got out & a few people who took exception to some of the pieces he had published 'went looking' for him.

I thought it was nice to see that when he thought about the North East he automatically thought of Udonmap. :D

After all it has been said often enough on this Forum that the 'standard' of Falang in Udon has gone downhill, so it really should come as no surprise that others have seen that as well...
What the don't realise is that means that the standard of Falang's in BKK has also gone downhill - & that does take some believing from reading his site over the years... :D :D

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by JimboPSM » May 15, 2011, 9:57 pm

While there certainly appears to be far more Western “down and outs” in Udon than there were a decade ago, this is, in my opinion, due to the very large increase in Westerners that has occurred, the “down and outs” that are in Udon are only a very small proportion of Westerners as a whole.

Regrettably however, locally (and now perhaps nationally) this small proportion has a wholly disproportionate impact on the perceptions of Westerners as a whole in Udon.

It is quite possible that the usage of the term “Udon farangs” may be a politically motivated attempt by some in Bangkok to create a “guilt by association” link of Westerners in Udon to the popularly (or unpopularly?) perceived political leanings of many of the local populace :-k

DermotC
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by DermotC » May 16, 2011, 2:00 am

The sock and sandal brigade give us all a bad name! There isnt a day that goes by that i dont see it. Be ashamed, be very ashamed!

noosard
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by noosard » May 16, 2011, 3:54 am

too hot to wear soxes and when wet not nice either

Saboo
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Saboo » May 16, 2011, 5:37 am

Can someone comment on what type of people this tread is calling "down and outs"... I take it "down and outs" to mean homeless people living on the streets... I have never seen any falangs that far down the ladder in Udon.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Aardvark » May 16, 2011, 6:15 am

Many seem to think the Local Falangs live Native type Lives in there Wife's Village, wearing old Shorts and sitting cross legged drinking there Archa and eating Somtam with there fingers !! So whats wrong with that :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by trubrit » May 16, 2011, 6:31 am

Saboo wrote:Can someone comment on what type of people this tread is calling "down and outs"... I take it "down and outs" to mean homeless people living on the streets... I have never seen any falangs that far down the ladder in Udon.
Well the interpretation comes from the governments own regulations. I presume the article must be talking about those resident here , not tourists . So the minimum financial requirement for a non o visa is set at 40k per month . If you don't have this, I don't know about down , but your certainly , out . Of course you can spend the rest of your life doing border runs, or until the laws tighten up , yet again , but that makes you officially , a tourist , not a resident . :roll:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

nkstan
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by nkstan » May 16, 2011, 6:40 am

I agree,the use of ''down and outs'' is inappropiate here and judgmental based on appearance!
I wear long shorts(150 baht) everyday,with sandals or tennis shoes w/socks,various colored pullover shirts(100-200 baht) and enjoy it it immensely.I have not worn a starched shirt w/tie or a sport/suit coat in 14 years and don't plan on wearing one for the next 14 years ,if I live that long!
I am self sufficient and my family has much more than their needs taken care of ,I help others in need and have a charitable attitude towards anyone seriously in need!
I never ask to borrow/beg from anyone and only accept from those I respect and not from need ,but to give them respect!
If you are judging others by the clothes they wear or how ''flashy'' they are,I would suggest you think yourself superior to other people,extremely selfish and egotistical,not friendship material!
:lol: I even eat ''somtom'',but I have tried Archa and will never be seen drinking it again,disgusting stuff,to me,but I know some self sufficient guys that prefer it!!! :lol:

I like TB's response =D> =D>

TJ
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by TJ » May 16, 2011, 7:00 am

This is an interesting thread. However, I doubt that Udon Thani foreign residents "hate" or are particularly irritated by some rumor that a few Bangkok foreigners think they are more "down and out" than themselves.

Some, perhaps most, may enjoy hearing talk that might discourage the movement of other foreigners to Udon Thani.

Saboo
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Saboo » May 16, 2011, 8:27 am

nkstan wrote:I agree,the use of ''down and outs'' is inappropiate here and judgmental based on appearance!
I wear long shorts(150 baht) everyday,with sandals or tennis shoes w/socks,various colored pullover shirts(100-200 baht) and enjoy it it immensely.I have not worn a starched shirt w/tie or a sport/suit coat in 14 years and don't plan on wearing one for the next 14 years ,if I live that long!
I am self sufficient and my family has much more than their needs taken care of ,I help others in need and have a charitable attitude towards anyone seriously in need!
I never ask to borrow/beg from anyone and only accept from those I respect and not from need ,but to give them respect!
If you are judging others by the clothes they wear or how ''flashy'' they are,I would suggest you think yourself superior to other people,extremely selfish and egotistical,not friendship material!
:lol: I even eat ''somtom'',but I have tried Archa and will never be seen drinking it again,disgusting stuff,to me,but I know some self sufficient guys that prefer it!!! :lol:
For once I agree with nkstans... judging someone on appearance is wrong... and yes Archa is a foul tasting brew… almost as bad as Cheers beer...

Saboo
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Saboo » May 16, 2011, 8:55 am

trubrit wrote:
Saboo wrote:Can someone comment on what type of people this tread is calling "down and outs"... I take it "down and outs" to mean homeless people living on the streets... I have never seen any falangs that far down the ladder in Udon.
Well the interpretation comes from the governments own regulations. I presume the article must be talking about those resident here , not tourists . So the minimum financial requirement for a non o visa is set at 40k per month . If you don't have this, I don't know about down , but your certainly , out . Of course you can spend the rest of your life doing border runs, or until the laws tighten up , yet again , but that makes you officially , a tourist , not a resident . :roll:
Trubrit... hope when you say "you" in your reply that you are not referring to me and are talking about people in general... I am here on a 'O ' "family man's "visa with a years extension... and come from a very wealthy family in the UK... Enough so to make me able for me to retire at 40 years old and concentrate my life on my children… unlike some here who are all “posh frock and no knickers…!” Some of whom even make sure their whiskey bottles are well attired in a cardboard box….

trubrit
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by trubrit » May 16, 2011, 9:20 am

Saboo wrote:
Trubrit... hope when you say "you" in your reply that you are not referring to me and are talking about people in general... I am here on a 'O ' "family man's "visa with a years extension... and come from a very wealthy family in the UK... Enough so to make me able for me to retire at 40 years old and concentrate my life on my children… unlike some here who are all “posh frock and no knickers…!” Some of whom even make sure their whiskey bottles are well attired in a cardboard box….
I think most intelligent people reading my post will realise that my use of you was a general definition not aimed at any particular person .However with your constant, boring repetition of my post buying scotch on many topics it appears to me that you may have a chip on your shoulder about me personally. well ,be a man and come right out with it, I have broad shoulders, or shut up . :evil:

Saboo
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Saboo » May 16, 2011, 9:50 am

trubrit wrote:
Saboo wrote:
I think most intelligent people reading my post will realise that my use of you was a general definition not aimed at any particular person .However with your constant, boring repetition of my post buying scotch on many topics it appears to me that you may have a chip on your shoulder about me personally. well ,be a man and come right out with it, I have broad shoulders, or shut up . :evil:
Now now don’t get all aggressive... I was referring to you using my post as a quote as if you were reply to it... anyways I do intend to be a man as you say... I intend to introduce myself. I know you like UD town on an evening... and thanks to your post upon the Meakon I now know what you look like... that and your leaky bladder… I just need to look around for a old man sitting in a pool of piss clutching his whiskey bottle box as if it was made of gold...

B.T.W. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2011, 10:04 am

Saboo wrote:B.T.W. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED
Far be it for me to defend TB - he is quite capable of doing that on his own...

However if no disrespect was intended in your post then maybe you can carefully explain exactly what WAS intended.

No matter how I read your post I cannot see that it is anything but a personal attack on TB.

Adding a piece of nonsense to the end of your post does not mean that you are exempt from the rules of the Forum.
Desist in making personal attacks on other members or your posts will just be delete without comment.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by trubrit » May 16, 2011, 10:11 am

Saboo wrote:

Now now don’t get all aggressive... I was referring to you using my post as a quote as if you were reply to it... anyways I do intend to be a man as you say... I intend to introduce myself. I know you like UD town on an evening... and thanks to your post upon the Meakon I now know what you look like... that and your leaky bladder… I just need to look around for a old man sitting in a pool of piss clutching his whiskey bottle box as if it was made of gold...

B.T.W. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED
Saboo. Just for you .
DSCN0002.jpg
Me and my whisky , in the box. To make sure you don't waste time, I only normally go on a Saturday night . See you :lol:

Saboo
udonmap.com

Udon Farangs

Post by Saboo » May 16, 2011, 10:12 am

BobHelm wrote:
Saboo wrote:B.T.W. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED
Far be it for me to defend TB - he is quite capable of doing that on his own...

However if no disrespect was intended in your post then maybe you can carefully explain exactly what WAS intended.

No matter how I read your post I cannot see that it is anything but a personal attack on TB.

Adding a piece of nonsense to the end of your post does not mean that you are exempt from the rules of the Forum.
Desist in making personal attacks on other members or your posts will just be delete without comment.

Yes you’re right... I was just responding to what I thought was a attack on me... let me apologize to Trubrit..." sorry TB" and say no personal attack was intend... I will now moderate my posts so no further infringement of the rules occurs…

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”