Getting House Telephone

General Udon Thani topics only!
Dakoda
udonmap.com

Getting House Telephone

Post by Dakoda » August 23, 2005, 9:22 pm

Today went to TOT to pay my bill and ask a couple of qestions about it. Also wanted to get a phone installed in TG's house. Girl gave us a piece of paper saying 1,600 baht to get installed and sent us to man at desk. He told us "next year" and gave us the number for TT&T. Only in thailand! :roll:

Anyone here have any luck getting a phone installed :?:

Later, I suggested to TG that maybe she should have offered a (gift)! She looked a little confused. But after a long while, she said she needed to call friend. So tomorrow when we go to see TT&T he will be going with us!

I will post back on how it went :!:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 23, 2005, 9:33 pm

It appears that the problem here is capacity, there are no numbers available (and nowhere to install them too as each 'connection point' in the roadsides is full. they have hit maximum !

When we wanted a phone - they said they have a number available but nowhere local to connect us to - all the points are full.
After some discussion, we agreed that somewhere there must be an empty connection point, so why do they not install my phone and then start walking, and only stop when they find an empty connection point.

So it turns out that I am connected about half a km away, and I was made to pay for extra cable (first xxx metres is free). But it was worth it to get a phone, and hence internet access (sometimes LOL)

our neighbour was outraged because he had been trying to get a phone for ages and here we come - just moved in and get a phone within a couple of weeks ! he he he - farang 1 Thai 0 LOL

Paul 8)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 23, 2005, 9:50 pm

I had heard about how hard it was to get a phone, so made it part of renting. No Phone no rent. The owner (a teacher at a Wat) had the phone & ADSL installed within 2 weeks time. Then I rented :D

and boy did I hear it from my farang neighbor's :!: farang 1 Thai 1 :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

DA

Post by Dakoda » August 25, 2005, 8:15 pm

Well TT&T has not called, so :?: - but the newest development is someone has offered to sell me their number. My question is - "DA" :roll: :?

TT&T called looks ok, need to come to office with papers. :D

edited on 9/1/05

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Update

Post by Dakoda » September 1, 2005, 12:02 pm

Well looks to me Thais 2 Farangs 1.

TG went to TT&T this morning, I went along to buy a phone at Robertson's, but was not around at the first vist. Phone to be installed on the 15th.

Question: "How to sell three unwanted things for more in Thailand" :?:
Answer: "Have a Promotion" :!:

Needless to say, but with the installation, we are now the proud owners of a TT&T phone, phone card, and god knows whatelse. :roll:

Nick

Telephone

Post by Nick » September 11, 2005, 7:48 pm

Went with TW to TT&T in Udon - asked them to look up on their computer any phone number in my local village not used in last six months. (gave lady 500 baht). Found a number and address - paid a visit - gave the owner 1,000 bht + 200 to local telephone engineer plus bought some wire. Everything now installed in my house and online!
Nil illigitimus carborundem

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 11, 2005, 7:55 pm

Excellent initiative there - but what a sad state of affairs in the year 2005 that this is what you have to do - just to get a telephone installed.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 11, 2005, 8:03 pm

Well I guess I could have done that, but just did not like the idea. TG wanted the promotion, (I have given up trying to chage her mind), but part of that is a 330 baht install charge. We got the number while there.

As we were heading to the airport last tuesday, they called to install - whatever happened to the 15th :?: So TG will call them tomorrow to say we are back.

8) So, I guess Paul, there are two ways!

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 11, 2005, 8:16 pm

Dakoda wrote:
You are so right there - after all this is Thailand !

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » September 11, 2005, 8:42 pm

Paul wrote that Dakoda wrote
Let me think now, hmm... two ways, now that must be the right way, the wrong way & the Thai way #-o ](*,) :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 12, 2005, 8:28 am

Hmm,
Let me think now, hmm... two ways, now that must be the right way, the wrong way & the Thai way

I was thinking more along the lines of "the cheap way" and "the expensive way" :wink:

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Getting House Telephone

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 12, 2005, 9:08 am

Dakoda wrote:Today went to TOT to pay my bill and ask a couple of qestions about it. Also wanted to get a phone installed in TG's house. Girl gave us a piece of paper saying 1,600 baht to get installed and sent us to man at desk. He told us "next year" and gave us the number for TT&T. Only in thailand! :roll:

Anyone here have any luck getting a phone installed :?:

Later, I suggested to TG that maybe she should have offered a (gift)! She looked a little confused. But after a long while, she said she needed to call friend. So tomorrow when we go to see TT&T he will be going with us!

I will post back on how it went :!:
Have a friend trying for a TOT wireless connection as there are no landlines in his location. Been told next year 'MAYBE' - apparently TOT are looking for a funds injection from another operator to remain viable, could very well go belly up.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 12, 2005, 9:39 am

TOT was looking at going public, but I think their stock offering was postponed. The form that was filled out at TT&T had a TOT heading!

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 12, 2005, 10:08 am

Plenty of free lines available in Nong Khai but only work sporadically once installed. :(

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 14, 2005, 5:50 pm

Well I guess I should report on how the install went :!: :lol:

TG called them Monday morn, I said they would be there to install around noon, she didn't think so, and off she went to beauty palor. Came rushing home at 11:30, saying TT&T at house. The install went smooth and everything looked ok. So before they left we called mobile and it rang and displayed the number, TG then called the number back and the phone didn't ring. There was a little head scratching and they left.

On Tuesday night TG called number, and someone answered, but it was not the right place or person. I guess TT&T have some switch problems. So at this point I figure it is 50% ok. :wink:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 14, 2005, 6:07 pm

Dakoda... does this mean that any out going calls will not be charged to you :D or arn't you that lucky??

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 14, 2005, 10:05 pm

I do not think that is the case, but who knows. I also got a calling card and I guess it would work from any pay phone, but the directions are to complicated for me, looks like you would have to dial 20 or 30 numbers to make a call. Remember the promo, it came with it, a value of 1000 baht. :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 17, 2005, 7:46 pm

Dakoda wrote:I do not think that is the case, but who knows. I also got a calling card and I guess it would work from any pay phone, but the directions are to complicated for me, looks like you would have to dial 20 or 30 numbers to make a call. Remember the promo, it came with it, a value of 1000 baht. :lol:
I think ithas everything to do with where you are, we moved into first homes eight months ago. applied and had a phone wiht three days, getting the dSl in was a little harder took two weeks.

But yet the next project over that has been there fro a fwe years a year wait for a phone line.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 17, 2005, 8:49 pm

Your post and some in the past has led to a question. I am under the impression that finding a RENTAL house in Udon though not hard is not easy but here is the kicker. How hard is it to find a house that already has telephone, internet access already ready to either hook up or is already hooked up? Too early to even ask for leads as I guess I am looking at about 6 mo yet but would like the question of availability.

Thanks.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 17, 2005, 9:18 pm

Do not think this is the answer, but someone moved into a house here on soi 6, rental - someone called me to look at internet setup, not working. He got the place with the phone installed and working, internet was dial-up, but I think it was his fault, for it sounded like he was offered ADSL, but did not understand. So it is possible, but I don't think it is the general rule.

I made it a condition of renting, so when I maybe move in Feb, who ever rents it will have a working phone and ADSL.

8)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”