Driving from udon to trat/koh chang

General Udon Thani topics only!
Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » June 4, 2011, 4:02 pm

Has anyone ever driven from udon to koh chang the wife and i thought we might give it a go in august , whats the most direct route how long it takes roughly and if its not possible in 1 day where is a good place to break the journy, any advice much appreciated

Cheers

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 4, 2011, 4:43 pm

Google maps here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&gf ... =en&tab=wl

says about 730 kms, and 11 hours. If I was driving at a normal pace, and minimal stops, I reckon I could chop at least 1 hour off that time ( eg google maps says 10 hours to Pattaya from UT, and I normally do it in around 8 hours).

I can't help with a stopping point, as I would drive straight through.

ps you can drag the point mark on google maps to the ferry landing so you see the actual full route.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 4, 2011, 5:07 pm

Take the 304 out of Korat and head for Chon Buri, bypass Pattaya then proceed to Rayong on the 331 and down the coast to Trat. I strongly recommend you leave your car in Trat, take the ferry across and use the public transport on the island. Commercial vehicles get priority passage on the boats and you could be waiting a long time to get on one. Most of the best accommodation and action are on the West coast of the Island as well as day trips to outer Islands for swimming etc. although it might be a little rough at that time of year.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » June 4, 2011, 5:16 pm

Hi
We did this journey last August. I love Koh Chang however I will not go in August again Heavy rain and Landslides. We took
the hired pick up over fantastic experience driving on the island however the rain spoilt it. I think Christmas and New Year a better period.
We stopped at an excellent resort on the way down just past Korat

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » June 4, 2011, 5:42 pm

I was doing, from korat 304 and than later 317, a nice trip - if i would go fast, i would take same as the bus, Saraburi and than down, but this is not me. Go early morning, and stop if you dont want more, there are 10000 places and I took our car over to Koh Chang from centre point, no problem, and I would do again.

I have been there in okt - some rain in the evening, nov. no rain, dec no rain

I liked okt. no farang, a lot off free rooms, you dont have to planning and cheaper

I will go there in July and hope not to much rain and aug. I will go Koh samet, same hope we are lucky with the rain.
rain is no problem, but if it is flooding and landslide, not fun more

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » June 4, 2011, 5:51 pm

From Trat piers to Koh Chang Piers

Option 1: Laem Ngob pier - Dan Kao pier ; Passenger boats usually leave from Leam Ngob pier to Dan Kao pier (near Koh Chang Ferri Pier) on Koh Chang every hour from 8.00 am. – 5.00 pm. The trip takes 45 minutes and the fare is 50 THB per person.

Option 2: Ao Thammachart piers ; There are 2 piers; Koh Chang Ferry Pier and Ferry Koh Chang Pier .
Koh Chang Ferry Pier : Ferry boats usually leave from pier to Koh Chang Ferri Pier (near Dan Kao Pier) on Koh Chang every hour from 6.30 am. – 6.30 pm. The fare is 60 THB per person and 150 THB per car.
Ferry Koh Chang Pier : Ferry boats usually leave from pier to Sapparot Pier on Koh Chang every hour from 7.00 am. – 7.00 pm. The fare is 60 THB per person and 150 THB per car. The trip takes 20 minutes.

Option 3: Koh Chang Centre point pier - Dan Kao pier ; Ferry boats usually leave from pier to Dan Kao pier (near Koh Chang Ferri Pier) on Koh Chang every hour from 6.00 am. – 6.00 pm. The trip takes 60 minutes and the fare is 30 THB per person and free of charge for car.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » June 4, 2011, 6:51 pm

The resort we stopped at was Starwell excellent highly recommended 800 Baht per bungalow including Breakfast

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 5, 2011, 9:14 am

I did this trip a couple of years ago. On the way down we had an overnight stopover at Sa Kaeo. Not much there but the resort was good. http://www.river-resort.com/
From there it is easy to pick up the 317 road which heads due south missing out all the traffic around Pattaya. The 317 eventually meets up with Highway 3 and then onto Koh Chang.
Took the car over, no problems. I prefer to have my own transport to explore the island. Stayed here, http://www.gajapuri.com/index.asp very nice resort.
Drove back to Udon in one hit using the same route. Think it took about 11 hours. Best if you have someone sharing the driving. My co-driver slept all the way to Khorat after taking some anti-histamine tablets the night before. :roll:

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » June 5, 2011, 11:30 am

Sounds like a lot of great advice except maybe i change the plan to end of august to avoid the rain i would like to go later in the year but i can get more time of in rainy season

Many Thanks

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » June 5, 2011, 12:02 pm

if this is because you want the beach, than go to koh tao - koh phangan - koh samui - the only place who dont have rainy season, they have rainy season in November

3 different island and I like them all, I was living on samui for 3 years

koh tao the diving and snorkling island
koh phangnan the party but also the quit island
koh samui - good beaches, good nightlife, good restaurant

kevh
udonmap.com

Post by kevh » June 6, 2011, 4:30 pm

I clocked the distance at 698KM, i usually wset off at midnight, miss athe traffic and police spped checks.

Nice steady pace of 100kmh (60mph) gets you there in around 7-7.30 hours. good idea to take the pickup onto the island, driving is fun up the mountainside.

I love the place but i would agree that you really need to miss rainy season although you can get some hotel bargains.

Kev

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 6, 2011, 6:15 pm

I quite enjoy visiting during the rain season. There are some excellent waterfalls with small pools ideal for swimming in. There are less people about and the temperature is more comfortable. ;)

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » June 7, 2011, 6:08 am

For me the attraction is the beach , living in landlocked Laos i dont get any of that, i also wanted to drive because weve 2 kids and i really hate flying these days , perhaps another option would be to drive to surat thani leave the car there and go to koh samui if they dont have much of a wet season , or do they have a car ferry to samui its been about 20 years since i last went

Benzman2
udonmap.com

Post by Benzman2 » June 7, 2011, 11:55 am

Yes they have a car ferry soo no problem

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 7, 2011, 12:12 pm

OT's driven from Udon to Koh chang in a day. Hell of a journey but Koh Chang is worth it. The last couple of hours of the journey is the best, ie the ferry and the winding very steep roads on koh chang itself.
Another bit of useful information is that it is a better drive to koh Chang if you live in Pattaya or Rayong.

OT............. \:D/

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » June 7, 2011, 12:37 pm

there are 2 car ferry to koh samui and one to koh phangnan going every hour or every 2 hour

but remember August is high season on samui - a lot off people and price is up

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » September 8, 2013, 10:01 pm

hello all, just looking for updates on ko chang never been... looking for about of week of beach time in late feb 2014 any suggestions or recommendations for locations hotels food beaches like to keep rooms under 1800 bht per nite have grandchildren with us for that week have to have 2 rooms... like to have fairly clean room pool and prox. to nice beach...any ideals thanks guys sincerely lek and lynn scoggins

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 8, 2013, 10:27 pm

This is quite a useful site for Koh Chang info:

http://www.koh-chang.com/travel_guide/Beaches.html

Remember that many of KC beaches are very difficult to access, with the hotels "owning" huge chunks of beach and the only way onto the beach being through the hotel.

This is the other main site:-

http://iamkohchang.com/island-guide/lon ... -koh-chang

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » September 10, 2013, 10:39 am

anyone have thoughts on trip to koh chang in feb. weather, hotels, cafes locations things to do anyone???? thanks lynn and lek

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 10, 2013, 12:13 pm

Stayed here a couple of times when they opened (about 4 yrs ago). Ideal for a family group as you can book the downstairs room and the upstairs room in one chalet. Nice pool, walking distance to local shops/bars, but midway between Had Sai Khao and Had Klong Prao Beaches (less than 10 mins drive in either direction).
Feb is the VERY HIGH season in KC so expect to pay top rates for rooms, even if the Island is half empty!!
DSCF0018 (3)UM.jpg
http://www.kohchangthaigardenhill.com/#rates

see the previously mentioned links for beaches/weather/what to do etc, plus details of many other hotels

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”