Immigration Office Experience

General Udon Thani topics only!
fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 22, 2011, 9:15 pm

I had an "interesting" experience today at Udon Immigration when I asked to have my visa and unused re-entry permit moved to my new passport. I dealt with a woman I had not seen in the office before. She asked me to complete a Request to move visa form & then proceeded to move my current visa into my new passport and then asked if I wanted to buy a new re-entry permit. I told her it was unnecessary as there was an unused one still in my old passport. She then transferred the re-entry permit. Upon completing everything she told me it was going to cost 1,000B. I politely asked why several times in both Thai & English and was told each time the fee was 1,000B. I reluctantly gave her the money which she quickly put in her desk drawer but never made a move to complete a receipt even though the receipt book was in clear sight on the desk. I decided to wait her out to see if she was going to provide me with a receipt which is standard practice when paying for a visa etc.

Once everything was completed and she returned my passports saying everything was done ok. I then asked her politely for a receipt. Silence and then in Thai "Oh you want a receipt". Yes please in my politest Thai. She went into the supervisors office returning in about 2 seconds and opened her desk draw and returned my money. No explanation, no apology from her and she received no thank you from me other than a knowing stare which I'm sure conveyed my disgust.

I just wanted to pass this along to all just in case you are caught in the same scam.

This is the first incident I've ever had at immigration in the 6 years we've been here.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 22, 2011, 9:18 pm

Interesting point, maybe she has been caught out and so her bosses will watch her, thanks for the update and info, shady staff need bringing to heel sharpish

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 22, 2011, 9:23 pm

Agree with KP - thanks for the heads-up. :shock:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 22, 2011, 9:33 pm

That news really sucks! 100 baht for copies, okay. 1000 baht for something that should cost nothing is bad bad bad. Hope it's not a sign of things to come at the Udon office....I'll find out in Sept with our annual renewal, 90 day check, and multiple reentry all in the same day.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » August 23, 2011, 7:35 am

This sort of thing was happening at the airport.

The present supervisor was in charge and it was worked mainly between him and another male officer.

The one who used to sit in the little 90 day office opposite the then main supervisors.

Let us hope this is a one off and not as parrot mentions a sign of things to come.

I could hazard a naughty guess and relate it to a possible change in policy via a slackening of control by the new authorities.

Tea money could once again be playing a big factor from the top down.

May I also suggest / offer advice, that anyone asked for anything above say 100 baht for what should be free and you do not get the standard receipt as per service and listed.

( which would be in my case 100 baht a consideration for their polite extra work they undertake on my behalf.)

Ask for a receipt and keep it, while at the same time giving a heads up to everyone, by word of mouth and on the various forums.

We got hammered during the their last reign when fees and income requirements went up astronomically and the baht was weak.

( Approx. 75 ish to the U.K. pound )

Strange that have they never considered bringing them down again to a level more in line with the reversal of currency exchange conditions and a much stronger baht.

The 800K in my currency @ shall we say as an example of 70 to the £ = approx. 11,400 U.K. pounds

The 800K at say 48.5 to the £ + appox. 16,300 U.K. pounds.

Add to the consideration your reduced spending power, vat ect. based on the valuation and it makes it really tough for many of the OAP,s on a frozen pension with a families to support.

Just my two penneth and IMHO

marshbags :-"

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 23, 2011, 7:45 am

Another thing to keep in mind is the the form you complete. It will state the cost of the service. ie. applying for a new visa (TM 7) the back of the form clearly states "application fee 1,900Baht". Need a re-entry permit? The back of the form gives you a choice of a single entry for 1,000B or multiple entry 3,800B. There is no fee for moving your current visa to your new passport.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 23, 2011, 8:20 am

fdimike wrote: There is no fee for moving your current visa to your new passport.
Sorry, I disagree. In June of this year I transferred my multi entry 'O' visa from my old passport to my new passport at Udon Thani immigration office. Fee was 500baht.

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » August 23, 2011, 10:36 am

Sorry Galee, but I do it this winter in Udon and it was free off charge.
Official they can’t ask money for it. (but in thailand every office can make there own rules)

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » August 23, 2011, 10:50 am

fdimike wrote:Another thing to keep in mind is the the form you complete. It will state the cost of the service. ie. applying for a new visa (TM 7) the back of the form clearly states "application fee 1,900Baht". Need a re-entry permit? The back of the form gives you a choice of a single entry for 1,000B or multiple entry 3,800B. There is no fee for moving your current visa to your new passport.
This was my experience too! However, when I asked for a receipt after the officer had put the fee in the desk draw I was met with "no need receipt is visa" with that I remarked that I hope that she would enjoy her lunch and left feeling TIT, but also rather sad that govt. officials have stoop so low to get by.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 23, 2011, 12:17 pm

To the best of my knowledge there is no fee to transfer a visa into a new passport unless you are talking about the cost of the copies.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 23, 2011, 12:18 pm

I would always remember to ask for a receipt. Ask to speak with the supervisor if they refuse to give you a receipt.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » August 24, 2011, 8:35 am

I had another very nice experience wid the Udon Immigration Office yesterday. Cut me some slack, which, while well within their legitimate discretion, they could have just as easily and legitimately refused to do...

There was a reasonable fee (compared to the cost of having to travel to Vietienne or Bangkok). No receipt was offered.

I sincerely thanked the officer; chatted up the other officers and quietly left.

I don't think we gonna change how these offices work here in Thailand. I pay reasonable "fees", gracefully accept receipts if offered; and do not ask if not. I find that goin in towards the end of the business day with my wife and blonde headed angel (daughter...), sets a real friendly tone, and gets very positive results out of the Immigration Officers. I am always very polite and do not argue when I don't like or agree with something they say. They can find ways to help you within their legitimate discretion when they want to. They can also refuse you any slack, legitimately, if they so choose...

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » August 24, 2011, 10:52 am

I did my extension (Retirement) end of July. In and out in less than 15 minutes. Excellent speedy service; friendly, polite and professional. Handed over 2000 was given change + receipt.
A week later they rang me, they had been reviewing their paperwork and found they hadn't stamped my renewal date on the paperwork, they were concerned that they also hadn't stamped my passport and this may cause problems for me. I assured them they had but they asked if I could bring it in at my convenience for them to check, I did and all was correct..
I left with thanks and apologies for any inconvenience.

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » August 24, 2011, 1:16 pm

in late 2009 i went into the uth airport immigration office to get a letter, some kind of residents certification, for purchasing a motor cycle. i went with a friend of a friend that was using their ability to persuade the immigration officer to give me one. i didnt see a yellow book at anytime but the story in thai was that i was residing at his premises. that was the story i had been told in english would be used....if it really was.....is anyones guess.

upon being given the nod for that to happen i was asked for 1200 baht...which i gave over as i really wanted that motorcycle & i had no idea what the real fee was. no receipt was issued.

on a subsequent visit in mid 2010 i went to the same office but this time with a legitimate landlord & requesting a letter of certification from a different immigration officer to purchase a vehicle & obtain thai licenses, the fee was 300 baht. this time a receipt was issued.

go figure........... :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » August 24, 2011, 1:48 pm

I dealt with a woman I had not seen in the office before. She asked me to complete a Request explanation, no apology from her and she received no thank you from me other than a knowing stare which I'm sure conveyed my disgust. {quote ]

i had the mis fortune of meeting this lady last mounth on my visit to immigration .
i was not at all impressed with her attitude .

on my next visit, I WILL ASK , for the male immigration officer,
who is a very courteous , helpfull , and capable person.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 24, 2011, 1:51 pm

My view is simple (or maybe even simplistic).

If I am asking Immigration to exercise, or not exercise, a discretion, I may feel it is appropriate to offer them a gratuity.

If my paperwork is in order and application is compliant with the law, there is no discretion required, and no money should be sought or will be given. =;

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » August 24, 2011, 3:28 pm

I had my yearly renewal earlier this month.
Before going to the Immigration Office, I went to the K-bank across the street and had my passbook updated showing more than 800,000 baht in it. There was no other entry in it for at the last several months. The officer wanted to see entries during those months. I explained that there were no entries because there were no transactions; didn’t work. That was my first extension. Should I have asked for something else from the bank? Or, should I have created more entries by simply updating the passbook every month for 3 months prior to my renewal!
I also had a problem with the certification of where I lived. I had one from the Udon Police; but, I learned that was only good when Udon did not have an immigration office. The office created a new one and stapled that to the passport for a modest copying charge.
We also forgot to bring my lady’s blue book, and I never got a ‘yellow’ book. The officer accepted my lady’s driving license instead, saving us a round trip of 30 km. I did walk away with the extension in less than 30 minutes.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 24, 2011, 4:34 pm

Hi,
Please do not offer extra, above what the service charge is. No matter what you say, it is a bribe. And can backfire.
In the ten or so years i heve been using imm., in LOS, i have never had one problem. If you are legal, and follow all the regs. you will have no trouble.
Once, as i have said on this board before, when dealing with Udon imm., the officer, i went to, was talking to the off. sitting beside him. I asked what he was laughing about. He showed me a 1000B note, and said this is what the last farang give him. I said you won't be getting that from me. He said, i don't expect it, and you will get the same treatment as the other person. At least you have some sense. This method, if you have the correct papers, will not get you any better treatment. My wife can support this as she was with me at the tome.
Also once , the lady imm. off., i seen, said i only had a income, from my pensions, just over 15,000GBP's, The B.E. issue your pension income in GBP's. Which was approx. 40KB short of 800KB. for my permission to stay due to retirement. This was when the GBP was at its lowest. She said, no worries, deposit 40KB in a Thai bank and come back tomorrow. I said no, this is why i want a permission to stay due to being married, rather than retirement, to a Thai national. Marriage permission to stay. The requirement for this, is only 40KB a month or 480KB a year.
A visa cannot, by law, be issued in the country you are staying in. Permission to stay, can be issued by Thai imm. in LOS. but not a visa.
If you are legal, and you pay extra, you are wasting your money. As my mama used to say to me, a fool and his money is easily parted.
If anyone wants to check my passport to confirm that i have the required P.T.S stamps, they are welcome to do so.
Cheers Doug.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » August 24, 2011, 8:17 pm

I agree with D. Don't offer anything.

Playing the fool works for me: I always ask what the fee is, and politely pay any reasonable amount. I have had several instances where the officer said there was no fee, and a couple where I suspect the fee was pocketed. I graciously accept receipts when offered, but do not request receipts when the "fee" is reasonable and no receipt offered.

Lastly, I try hard to comply with all their requirements, without argument or complaint. As the lady officer told my daughter day before yesterday, "He's always so polite. He's like our family."

IMHO nothing useful comes of arguing with police of any kind in any country. If an action is so egregious as to require argument, best to walk away politely and return later with assistance "from the top down".

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » August 25, 2011, 12:03 am

jackspratt wrote:My view is simple (or maybe even simplistic).

If I am asking Immigration to exercise, or not exercise, a discretion, I may feel it is appropriate to offer them a gratuity.

If my paperwork is in order and application is compliant with the law, there is no discretion required, and no money should be sought or will be given. =;
Seconded. Won't pay them extra to do their job, but if I'm in error, and they help, I will gladly donate.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”