Udon or Chiang Mai?

General Udon Thani topics only!
jeffd

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by jeffd » August 29, 2011, 5:09 am

Hello!

I'm leaving for Thailand in January and am torn between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani .... Is Udon cheaper than Chiang Mai? Is there lots to do in Udon? Many expats?

I work online and am tired of the rainy weather in Vancouver, BC so I've decided to pack up and go... Just trying to figure out which place has more to offer...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Jeff

lee
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by lee » August 29, 2011, 9:34 am

It's the rain season in Thailand at the moment so if you're looking for a break from the rain you may be disappointed.

Udon and Chiang Mai are two completely different cities, Chiang Mai is busy, crowded and geared towards tourists and backpackers whereas Udon is smaller and more laid back. Udon's a nice place to visit however I think you'll find more to do in Chiang Mai. Accommodation is competitive in CM so prices are low, Udon has some great budget hotels also. Shopping can be expensive in Chiang Mai because prices are geared towards tourists however there's a wider selection of things to buy there.

I guess it all depends what you're looking for, why not visit both if you have the time and get a taste of both the north and issan.

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by Peterplay » August 29, 2011, 10:42 am

For me it would be a no brainer : ChiangMai for sure. But of course it depends on what you value in life.

ChiangMai is a bigger city, busier as well, with lots of things to do. What it really sets apart from Udon is its environment, the mountains, many interesting places (temples, geysirs, parks, etc) within easy reach.

Having said this, Udon is not bad, laid back as already mentioned and enough good shops now to survive reasonably happy.
But nothing special and interesting sites are far and few. If you don't have a spouse here, there's no good reason to be in Udon really.

Jed
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by Jed » August 29, 2011, 10:51 am

As Lee said, it totally depends what you're looking for.

I lived in Chiang Mai for 15 years, and in Udon-Nong Khai for about 7, and Bangkok for 2 (for good measure).

There is no comparison in terms of activities, things to do, places to go, expat activities and businesses, restaurants, bookstores, clubs, universities, nightlife, daylife, quality of life IMO, etc.

The truth is that Chiang Mai is a big, modern, cosmopolitan city, which was an amazing place to live 10-15-20 years ago and more. I feel it has now overdeveloped and outgrown its infrastructure (and charm), and is not as easy and wonderful a place to live as it was before. Then again, most everyone says that: après moi le deluge, and all that.

But it is still one of Asia's great cities in my, and many others', opinion. If you see who has ended up retiring and living there, the community includes some of Thailand's most famous writers (Thai and foreign), artists, musicians, and journalists -- people who would know about livable cities in Southeast Asia.

To answer your question, Chiang Mai has much, much more to offer overall.

Having said that, if you work online, and plan to live outside the city, in a small village perhaps, it really doesn't matter where you live. Udon offers almost everything you need to survive, if not thrive. You may not be able to buy the latest books and magazines in Udon, or see the latest movies, but who buys hard copies nowadays anyway, right? Or goes to the movies?

And if you're not interested in the current, active music and art scenes, then mai pen rai – it doesn't matter where you live.

Well, I'm obviously coming off rather biased towards Chiang Mai; but hey, I'm living here in Isan, aren't I? I'm sure others will probably take issue with what I've said, so you'll end up with different points of view to consider. It really all depends…

If forced to sum it up, I’d say: Live in Bangkok when you’re young; live in Chiang Mai during your middle, active, working years; and then retire to Isan, which is really a lovely place to live, with wonderful hard-working, salt-of-the-earth, rural people (for the most part) – despite what you might read on various online fora.

Certainly, spend some time in both areas before deciding; you’d be foolish not to. And good luck with your decision. In either case, I doubt you’ll regret it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by parrot » August 29, 2011, 11:01 am

I've lived in Udon 15 years, this is where I'd begin to live if I started all over. But for a quick vacation to see some of Thailand sights, and given a choice Udon/Chiangmai, I'd do Chiangmai. Lots to see, eat, do, shop, in and around. Several interesting areas nearby provinces as well.
But we're still in rainy season throughout the country, so getting away from the rain, at least for the month of September, probably isn't going to happen.

jeffd

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by jeffd » August 29, 2011, 11:24 am

Thanks everyone!

I think I'll start in Chiang Mai and maybe do a weekend trip to Udon Thani to check it out... I only work a few hours a work and just want to be sure I am kept occupied during my free time... Sounds like Chiang Mai is more likely to keep me busy.

Sometimes I want to get away from all the touristy places, but doing that also keeps me away from all the stuff I like to do... I guess it's the trade-off :)

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful advice!

Jeff

Shado
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by Shado » August 29, 2011, 12:26 pm

If you have any concerns about air quality and/or have respiratory ailments, you might want to research the smog and pollution conditions that Chiang Mai has been dealing with in recent years. Air quality has been so bad at times flights have been cancelled because of poor visibaility. The worst conditions last for only a few weeks each year but it is a growing concern.

Study shows smog up North has worsened
By VARATAYA CHAILANKA
THE NATION

Serious levels of dust particles, carcinogenic compounds detected

The amount of carcinogenic chemical compounds in the air has been growing in provinces in the North in recent years.

Studies by Chiang Mai University's Research Institute for Health Sciences reveal that air pollution has got more serious outside city zones.

"We have conducted urine tests among children aged between 11 and 15 years old to check their exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons [PAHs]," Dr Tippawan Prapamontol said yesterday.

Tippawan heads a research project on air pollution and health being conducted by the institute, which has received funds from the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT).

She said the amount of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in particulate matter with a diameter not exceeding 10 microns (PM1) has risen by 2.8 times when compared with five years ago.

Findings outside towns had an even higher level of PAHs - up "by about 3.5 times".

Tippawan said the survey covered 968 subjects, the biggest sample size for tests about exposure to PAHs.

The NRCT has provided Bt10 million for the three-year study. In the first year, it covered just Lamphun and Chiang Mai. But in later years, it covered Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son and Lampang too.

Tippawan said her institute was planning to manufacture mobile devices that could monitor the amount of dust particles in real-time for all districts so they could deal with the haze problem better.

"We are working on a prototype. We think each device should cost no more than Bt100,000," she said.

Chiang Mai University assistant president Paisit Panichkul urged all sectors in the country to help fight the smog problem in the North.

When the problem was serious, some flights had to be cancelled due to poor visibility and locals' health suffered, along with tourism.

In Phayao, the amount of PM10 particulate matter has already soared beyond the safe limit of 120 micrograms per cubic metre of air.

As of yesterday, the amount stood at 133 micrograms per cubic metre. The Air Quality Index (AQI) also soared to 106 above the standard level of 100.

In Chiang Mai, the air quality index also soared to 106, over the standard level too.

-- The Nation 2011-03-09

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by hangsaboot » August 29, 2011, 1:00 pm

jeffd wrote:Hello!

I'm leaving for Thailand in January and am torn between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani .... Is Udon cheaper than Chiang Mai? Is there lots to do in Udon?

Jeff
why have selected chiang mai or udon , as your choices ?
most farangs choose these type of places , after doing a few laps
in the cities down south .

IMO, chiang mai is far more scenic , chiang rai , mae sai ,etc .
LOL :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by parrot » August 29, 2011, 1:25 pm

From now to Dec, air quality in the north should be just fine. Once the dry season kicks in fully and people start burning, that's when the problems arise.

You can go to a touristy place like Chiangmai or Bangkok, for that matter, and just get off the beaten path and see how the natives live. Sometimes it's just around the corner from where the tourists hang out.

jeffd

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by jeffd » August 29, 2011, 2:02 pm

hangsaboot wrote:
jeffd wrote:Hello!

I'm leaving for Thailand in January and am torn between Chiang Mai and Udon Thani .... Is Udon cheaper than Chiang Mai? Is there lots to do in Udon?

Jeff
why have selected chiang mai or udon , as your choices ?
most farangs choose these type of places , after doing a few laps
in the cities down south .

IMO, chiang mai is far more scenic , chiang rai , mae sai ,etc .
LOL :D
I lived in Phuket before from 2001-2004 and have done my share of traveling down South... But I want to check out Northern Thailand now :)

Jeff

thrilled
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by thrilled » August 31, 2011, 3:52 am

Because of all the tourists and air quality I will pick Udon over Chiang mai any day.Or even Khonkaen or Korat.I don't even like to go there to visit.

Galee
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by Galee » August 31, 2011, 7:00 am

Never been to Chang Mai but when walking/driving around Udon I often smile and think to myself, "Yep, I made the right decision". :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by Prenders88 » August 31, 2011, 8:24 am

Chaing Mai is a tourist city, with the associated prices, loads of fisherman pant wearing, crusty backpacker trustafarians on a gap year, weird ex-pats, the type who wear their wifes knickers when she goes out shopping. Must admit when I first stayed in Chaing Mai, it blew me away. I like Lampang.

10 years ago I would have said Chaing Mai, Udon at the time was still looked and felt like a Bronze Age settlement.
Poor choice in the shops, and food.
Now how things have changed, especially in the last three years. Chinese speculators buying land on the ring road.
Soon the new mall bigger than the one in Khon Kaen, football stadium and sports center, computer mall, Chern Chims.

douglas
udonmap.com

Udon or Chiang Mai?

Post by douglas » August 31, 2011, 12:11 pm

Hi,
Myself i would not call Undon Thani a small place. Still i was brought up on a small island.
Udon ring road is well over 30K long, with most of the area inside occupied. Also a lot of the area outside the ring road is occupied. It has a International airport, can take any passenger plane now flying. A horse racing track, flying school, five big hospitals. Schools and Uni. are very good. As for shopping, Tesco's have three big stores, Big C has two big stores, and Non Soon one big store. Makro also have stores. You can get most things you want. As for places to visit, if you have transport, there are a lot. within a hour or so drive. Golf courses, many. Zoo and Shrines. Depends on what you like. Took the kids up to visit the aquarium, excuse spelling, spell check packed up, near the Friendship Bridge. Very good. and then went on for a meal in N.K. on the river side. Good day out. Kids liked it. Been in Udon Thani now for 6 years, it floats my boat. Prices for houses and land have risen, in the last few years. As elsewhere. Thank god i bought before this rise.
Wife has a two bedroom brick house in Korat. Not keen on staying there. Use it as a stop of point when going south, her papa lives in it.
I would stay a few weeks in both places. Remember if you talk to ex-pats, anywhere, they will mostly praise the place they have choosen. Get out yourself and rece. both places. See what you think. It will be you living there.
Where ever you choose to live, i hope you enjoy yourself and are happy.
Cheers Doug.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”