visa to Cambodia or vietnam

General Udon Thani topics only!
wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » January 2, 2012, 2:34 pm

some one who know

to Cambodia - can you only cross the border and get the visa there and how long time are you getting

and same to Vietnam

and how if you are take the airplane

and what do you need - dollar - foto - travel ticket - insurance - hotels

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 2, 2012, 4:40 pm

I understand that it is easy to get a visa at the border for Cambodia & exceedingly easy to extend it once you are in the Country as well.

I think a great deal more preparation needs to be done to get into Vietnam. I think that for many nationalities it is not possible just to wander up to the Country's borders & gain access. A visa needs to be obtained from an embassy first.
It is possible to gain a visa over the Internet but I think that is only when you are going to land at an International Airport Internally.

Here is the Vietnam Embassy in Thailand web address.
http://www.vietnam-visa.com/embassy/Thailand

I think you will find everything you need to know (excluded Countries, System of gaining Visa) there.
There is a branch of the Embassy in Khonkaen, which is somewhat good news...

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » January 3, 2012, 7:30 pm

I'm in Cambodia now, I got a visa on arrival at the airport, have US$20 for the fee, and a passport size photo, if you have no photo you get ripped off by the officials, when i was there some people were getting charged US$30 for the photo, a total rip off but they had no choice - no photo = no visa.
I cann't offer any advice on Vietnam as I've not been there yet.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » January 3, 2012, 11:16 pm

If you are flying into Cambodia's International Airports in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, visas can be easily obtained at the visa counter upon arrival. As advised before, bring your own passport picture, hand over your passport and $20, and you'll be on your way in about 15/20 minutes.
However, if you're entering Cambodia overland I would suggest that you get your visa on line. If I'm not mistaken I paid $25 taking that route. If you don't, I can guarantee you that you'll be shamelessly ripped off by the border officials. One brazen official at Cham Yeam once had the nerve to demand B1200 for the visa, which I, of course, didn't pay.

Unlike Cambodia, Vietnam hasn't got a visa-on-arrival scheme, but once in Cambodia, it's quite easy to either get the visa at the Vietnam embassies in Phomh Penh or Sihanoukville, or through one of the many travel agents along the Tonle Sap river.
I was told that getting it in PP would take 2 days, but when I went to the Embassy I was told to wait and got mine within an hour. I don't know if I was just lucky.
In The Sihanoukville Embassy this seems to be common practise and I've heard that the travel agents therefore use that Embassy.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » January 5, 2012, 12:36 pm

how many days you got visa

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » January 6, 2012, 4:48 pm

wiking wrote:how many days you got visa
The Cambodia ones have 1 month validity. The Vietnam Visas I got were for 15 days.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 11, 2012, 2:21 pm

Did anyone ever get a visa from the Vietnam Consulate in Khon Kaen?
Their website's 'Consular Section' is empty, except for some scanned bulletin.
I've been trying to call them but get an answering machine everytime I phone. :(

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 11, 2012, 3:32 pm

I can answer my own post so that prospective applicants can use the information.
I got through and the very friendly Consul (who speaks perfect English) told me that the consulate is open every day from Monday till Friday. If you apply for the visa in the morning, you'll get your passport back on the same day in the afternoon. The fee is B2000 for a 30-day visa.

shipwreck
udonmap.com

Post by shipwreck » July 11, 2012, 7:06 pm

I don't know if Vietnam got new rules, visited there for 3 years ago by flight, got 15 days on arrival (my thai wife got 30), what they was interrested in is you have an adress (hotel or friend) where you stay and a return ticket, and i did not pay anything

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 11, 2012, 7:45 pm

May I make a wild guess? In that case you are one of the Chosen Ones (national of an ASEAN country, South Korean, Japanese, Russian or Scandinavian). The rest of us humble denizens of the world all require visas to visit Vietnam. :)

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » July 11, 2012, 10:12 pm

I wonder if it's possible to get visas for Vietnam at the embassy in Vientiane?

It's a shame it's so difficult to get to Vietnam from here (Udon / NK area). The sea is much closer to us than Bangkok, Pattaya and much nicer than many spots in central Thailand. Checking Google Earth, it's only 340 km as the crow flies from my house to the beach near Vinh. The closest beach in Thailand is near Bangkok at 520 km, and for a swimmable beach, it's closer to 600.

I've heard that getting a purple book for a vehicle is fairly easy for Laos, but practically impossible for Vietnam. Anybody driven to Vietnam from here?

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 11, 2012, 10:52 pm

Yes, it is possible to get a visa at the Vietnam Embassy in Vientiane, but you may have to wait up to 3 days before you get your passport back. It seems that you can also get it back quicker, but then you'll have to pay considerably more. In that case you're better off ordering it online.

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » July 11, 2012, 11:06 pm

That scenario would require Thai re-entry visa, a multiple (or at least double) entry visa to Laos, wait three days for a Vietnam visa, travel to Vietnam, back to Laos and back into Thailand.

What an ass-tear for a journey of 400 km, no wonder nobody does it. From the bridge at Mukdahan to Dong Hoi, it's only 220 km. Pity. Easier to fly to Bangkok, get on a plane and miss everything in between.

I drove from Bangkok to Siam Reap several years ago and while it wasn't easy, I saw a side of Cambodia I would have missed had I flown.

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » July 12, 2012, 6:54 am

Yes panty hamster,
It was a couple of years ago now but i got my vietnam visa in about an hour in vientiane , (Aussie passport so not one of the chosen ones) There wasnt a lot of people there that day so might of got lucky , i am planning to drive to nha trang from vientiane in august so i hope it will be the same scenario , I think it was $30 or $35 for a 30 day visa, they will take baht to, If you decide to get it in vientiane might be a good idea to get some small denomination dong from the Vietbank so you have some on arrival , especially if you are crossing a land border

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » July 13, 2012, 9:39 am

I think it was $30 or $35 for a 30 day visa
Good deal! That's about ONE THIRD of what you pay in Bangkok (B2700) and half of what you pay in Khon kaen (B2000) :shock:

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » July 17, 2012, 1:15 pm

Sorry panty hamster i gave you dud info on the cost of a visa it was $45 i am told last night when we were talking , she,s got a better memory than me

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”