Traffic cops - not just motorcycles for now.

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2012, 11:21 am

I mentioned to the wife a couple of days ago that I saw some cops setting up at the ring-road/nongkhai road intersection. As I waited at the red light, I expected the usual motorcycle shake down but was surprised to see them pull over a pickup that had just run a red light. A first!

Yesterday, I was driving the wife's car (she is passenger) and the cops pulled me over just outside Big-C (the original one). My license in order but the tax sticker was out of date so the nice cop mumbled something about 400 baht. I handily got my license back and dispatched the wife (with her license) to the desk where they were writing tickets and taking payments. She came back happy with her 'discount' of only a 200 baht fine! She made the joke that she thought we were getting pulled over for having a squeaky clean car as we had just come from the car wash. Who says Thai humour doesn't do irony?

Now it's off to the LTO to get a duplicate tax sticker since the commonly held theory is the dog must have eaten the new one.

You drivers out there have been warned!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » February 2, 2012, 1:32 pm

What a Shame they are still in the Stone Age. A Computerised System would have Cleared things up quickly and saved you the "Tea Money" I'm never Happy when I'm Squeezed for Money to Pay for some Coppers Mia Noi :evil:

Kevro
udonmap.com

Post by Kevro » February 2, 2012, 1:55 pm

Geez your lucky Tamada,

Got caught at the usual road blocks going to Nong Khai. Showed my license and was told it had expired and told me at was 200 baht fine. Then another cop started jumping around all excited and pointing out that my brother in laws car was out of registration, 1000Baht. They forgot about the license and went the rego fine. They showed my a printed copy of fines and the non rego was 1000 Baht.

Ironically I was on the way to get a letter from Nong Khai immigration to take to licensing to renew my license.

Kevro

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2012, 6:24 pm

Aardvark wrote:What a Shame they are still in the Stone Age. A Computerised System would have Cleared things up quickly and saved you the "Tea Money" I'm never Happy when I'm Squeezed for Money to Pay for some Coppers Mia Noi :evil:
Huh? The tax sticker had lapsed so it was a 'fair cop' and we got a receipt as well. No tea-money farang shake down this time but I did appreciate the wife's discount.

I doubt there's any 'civilised' country where you can pay the cop for a lapsed tax sticker and get a new one on the spot. They are just the 'enforcers' and this chap was polite enough to tell the wife where to go to get it all sorted out. We did that today and since she had just won the lottery, she bought next years tax sticker as well. Keeper!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”