Searching for Praiwan Tantrakun (maiden name)

General Udon Thani topics only!
ruby.sexton

Post by ruby.sexton » February 6, 2012, 4:18 pm

I was born in Udon Thani in 1971 and was adopted by Air Force MSgt Donald Lawing and his Japanese wife Yoko in 1973. My biological mother and adopted parents lived in separate bungalows on Soi Mahamat Drive. I am not sure of my birth father's name since it is listed as George and Joe Sires on my birth certificate, but anything could have been lost in translation. I am really hoping someone out there knows my birth mother, she is now in her early 60s and may be in the United States. I live in the United States and searching here as well. I appreciate any information you may have. Thanks.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 7, 2012, 4:40 pm

I would start with the names and facts you have, such as George / Joe Sires , then ask the US War Department, or vets of 231 Squadron Udon Thani, if they can remember that name or that of the other names you have..this may help you understand how your mother came to be in the Soi, and where she went afterwards..you havent explained how she may have got to the uSA, perhaps as Joe Sires wife..find joe sires and you might find your mother..other than that I would check Thai land records for Tantrakun, the family name..who knows her family may have had Tor Bor Land (leased crowned land). it may require searching a dozen Thai Provinces land records, but you may turn up the Tantrakun's..sorry that all I can suggest off the top of my head. good luck

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » February 7, 2012, 8:51 pm

ruby.sexton wrote: Soi Mahamat Drive
Does any member have knowledge of where this soi is? It's a very long shot but maybe with the help of my wife we could make some enquiries :cry:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 7, 2012, 9:30 pm

Well not exactly the same, but Google came up with this...
Attachments
Soi Mahamat Drive.jpg

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » February 8, 2012, 8:56 am

Thanks Bob
I'll give it a try. if i get any positive info : : I'll post :D

ruby.sexton

Post by ruby.sexton » February 9, 2012, 8:49 am

Hi All, Thank you so much for your help and feedback. I have the exact address of where I lived as a child and it appears the google map is correct. The address is 347 Soi Mahamit, Udon Thani, Thailand. It isn't far from the Air Force Base where my adoptive father was stationed. I have tried all of the names on my birth certificate, but I recently found out that my biological mother's name was spelled incorrectly on my birth certificate, spelled as Tentrakun instead of Tantrakun, so there is much that could have been lost in translation. I do appreciate everyone's help though. My adoptive father and the landlord did the paperwork with the Thai Consulate. I live in the United States, grew up here, did all of my schooling here so very unfamiliar with where to go and where to start an international search. Bless you for helping me.

ruby.sexton

Re: Searching for Praiwan Tantrakun (maiden name)

Post by ruby.sexton » May 27, 2023, 8:22 pm

It has been a long road but I found my Father!! His name was not George Sires! I am still looking for my mother, she we t by the name of Noi. I have learned I have a half brother who is older. Still looking for my mother.

OldVeteran1982

Post by OldVeteran1982 » September 4, 2023, 1:08 pm

Names in Thailand are not treated the same way as we Americans treat them. In America if you want to change your name you go to a Court and talk to a judge, they will tenatively change it for you, and then it has to be posted in a Public Notice in a Court House for a time period, and during that time period anyone from the public body can raise an objection and your name change can be denied.

In Thailand, you pay 100 Baht and bam you have a new name. No fuss, in and out of the Amphur in 15 minutes. Thai people do not have the same psychological attachment to their names as we Westerners do. It's also highly uncommon to even learn a Thais real name until you've known them awhile, I'd say 95% of the Thai people I have met have a Nickname.

And finally, you're looking at a western spelling of what someone heard someones name to be. You shouldn't let your only way of looking for your mother be internet based searches. If you have already found the Soi you are already 90% there.

My wife said this, go to the Phu Yai Baan(Village Chief), he will know the local residents, he will know how to contact the Amphur where your birth was registered. He will be able to help you find out what your mothers real name is and not just the westernized spelling. If she was localy born and raised that is...

Thailand tracks EVERYTHING. Marriages, Births, Deaths, Land Transfers....everything that has any legal bearing will be in a Amphur. When my wife and i registered our Marriage at the Amphur employees were working on getting old marriage and land deeds digitized, but they wont be online for you to read...

Good Luck

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 5, 2023, 4:03 pm

heed the advice to have the Thai spelling of the name if you have it..

If you get over to Udon and know precisely where your monther lived there is the possibility that the district or even the village has documents showing census counts back into the early 70's. When my wife sought information to verify she lived in a certain area a legible xeroxed document showing her at her house address in that area from the early 70's was found.

Downtown they have a records reposibory where if you go in with all documentation particularly the original Thai birth certificate (if you have it) they likely can pull up information on your mother, at least back in the 70's..
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”