misinformation on forums in Thailand

General Udon Thani topics only!
welshwizard
udonmap.com

Post by welshwizard » March 9, 2012, 3:58 pm

Khun Paul wrote:It is so simple that anyone can ascertain ( even those with a small amount of intelligence ) if your Visa, or whatever runs out at the weekend, you renew on the Friday before, ok a pain but with any country I have ever visited if the expiry is on the weekend, I politely point it out and they normally change it, even here,one cannot renew on a weekend so why end the visa on a weekend, sometimes the officers don't think, often it is a clerical error.

Does not really matter whether you are living in a mansion or a small house, loads of dosh or limited income. Lack of foresight or lack of commonsense is the main problem in dealing with any Government office especially here. Here people assume that the officers, do have a certain amount of flexibility in dealing with people who break the rules, either by mistake or even on purpose but with good reasons, unlike Europe where that could be taken for granted, here they do not, they stick to the rules with a rigidity that often worries me. However once you realise that, you then have to work out a way to avoid any further problems.

Immigration officers are no different to other Government Agencies here, staff are afraid to bend the rules for fear of being criticised by their supervisors, so no-one will make a decision , the reverse is also true, Supervisors do not want their subordinates to think they are soft. Once you understand that then you deal with any problems in alike manner, make them feel that they are important and know the answers and you'll get along fine.

Personally I have never had a problem, even in Nong Khai but that does not mean I am complacent, I just ensure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed and always take a copy with original docs just in case. I also speak to them if I not happy or uncertain about something. Not rocket science but it works, I never accept what anyone else says as in the main most ore BS's me and you only get half the truth anyway embellished to make themselves look good.

So Welshwizard, I am sorry that you were done as it where, hopefully a learning curve for you a factor to be taken into account, I'll leave you with a comment attributable to the Lord Budda,
' Never believe anything you are told unless you have checked it out for yourself and found it to be true '
Yes i am sorry if i got a bit hot but the fact is i read on here that people had gone to laos 1 day overstay was no problem and i also read that if i did not get my passport through the window by 12 o clock i would have to come back the next day and stay an extra night .

When i was being fined by the thai policeman i told him about what i had read on here about 1 day overstay no fine and no stamp and he said rubbish He had worked on that bridge for years and everyone gets a fine and a stamp.No exceptions .When i chatted to the girl at the thai consul and told her i read the window shuts at 12 she said rubbish.The gate closes at 12 but all those inside will be processed.
So i say the info on here is rubbish and so does the thai police and thai immigration so why do they post info that is 100% incorrect ???
There are not many people on here like you that "has a brain and some respect for the people who post",It seems everytime somebody asks a question or wants info they are met with posts that are rude ,aggressive and have no relevance.If you have no info do not post.
Why has this post been stopped ? i recently read a post of someone from nutty park threatening some guy for scamming him and was quite abusive and really not good and was allowed to continue??
The reason i did not want to go on friday is i have a flight on 22 april whcih is now the day my visa runs out.I could not have gone on fri would have to be thur and my visa would run out 4 days before my flight

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 9, 2012, 6:28 pm

welshwizard wrote:Yes i am sorry if i got a bit hot but the fact is i read on here that people had gone to laos 1 day overstay was no problem and i also read that if i did not get my passport through the window by 12 o clock i would have to come back the next day and stay an extra night .
I would be interested if you could point out exactly on here where people have said the things you are saying that you read on here.
Asiaphile quotes his prior post where he quite plainly says that you will be fined. It could not be clearer.
If you were 'confused' why did you not post a question??
As for 12 noon at the window or the gate...Well OK I guess so on your day, another day who knows? The fact of the matter is that the nearer you get to the Embassy by 10am the better. Leave it to near to noon & it is quite possible you will end up staying another day in Laos & writing posts of complaints about inaccurate posts on Forums.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 10, 2012, 10:10 am

Even with informaton from an OFFICIAL SOURCE it can sometimes change, depending on the official, the day, their mood, your attitude, the weather, who knows. A couple years ago I even had to pay 500b for one day overstay at bkk airport when I was departing the country. Best advice is always err on the side of caution, leave yourself an option, and above all... SMILE at the officials. My grandmother used to say, "You catch more bees with honey than vinegar." :-"
Every day I wake up is a good day.

jonny_w
udonmap.com

Post by jonny_w » March 10, 2012, 9:37 pm

dont believe everything you read, everybody is an expert ............

maybe better planning will save you some trouble next time?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”