Electricity in Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Electricity in Udon Thani

Post by tamada » August 4, 2022, 9:34 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 4, 2022, 8:22 pm
and so??? PEA owns all the power poles. To legally put any other telecommunications cable onto the poles requires PEA permission and a fee payment.. Of course none of the Internet Service Providers here in Udon nor likely in any other place in Thailand follow any of those rules. PEA is certainly well within its rights to chop down all illegal cables.. Once the poles are gone if indeed PEA can underground all the power cables where will the ISP's put their fiber and wire cables?
I would surmise that someone pays somebody for access to the utility company's power poles. It's just that it's probably not the owner of the power poles that's getting this not inconsiderable fee? This being Thailand and all?

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 6, 2022, 4:24 pm

nah, the ISP install crews, some in labelled ISP trucks, others as "contractors" have their 6-7 meter bamboo poles and bamboo ladders to sling the fiber or cable from pole to pole in a slapdash half-ass fashion. They do it quickly so even if PEA were to come by afterwards, how would PEA have a clue as to what is "legal" and what is pirate.. I'd bet half the ISP cables hanging off the poles are dead anyway. No way the ISP is going to put forth the effort to pull their "dead" cables/fiber".. The last ISP crew I saw in my neighborhood was doing some type of install/upgrade and connecting the cables by splicing them and taping them into water bottles. That was months ago and those bottles are still holding the spliced cables. WTF????/

Perhaps the ISP's will eventually come up with a controlled WIFI "hot spot" setup that will replace cables/fiber..
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 6, 2022, 4:53 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 6, 2022, 4:24 pm

Perhaps the ISP's will eventually come up with a controlled WIFI "hot spot" setup that will replace cables/fiber..
Except at a very local level, I doubt that fiber will be replaced, as wi-fi is spectrum dependent and data limited. Fiber is needed to carry the bulk of the data between the main points.

(Please note this is a layman's understanding of the limitations of wi-fi, and wireless data. Happy to be corrected). :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 6, 2022, 6:06 pm

If 715 units of electricity in Udon cost 3380Baht in 2014, you'd think 705 units in June 2022 would cost......5%, 10% higher. But 705 units cost 3321Baht in my July 2022 bill.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 7, 2022, 6:43 am

Yes that is amazing I am sure just goes to show some things do work in Thailand and the PEA is efficient .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 8, 2022, 5:03 am

Mrs tam reports a huge drop in the 'lectric bill.

Commensurate with tam's recent departure on another deep cover, special ops job and nowt to do with the "efficient" PEA.

Carry on gushing if you must but honestly, for just getting what you pay for?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 8, 2022, 7:47 am

I found the PEA hotline to be quite useful. Phone is 1129.

After a couple of years getting nowhere complaining about an oversubscribed transformer with the local office, I fired off a detailed email of my issues to the hotline: [email protected]

I attached this timelapse video to prove my point:

I did finally get action. I'm not sure if it was the video or the fact that I Googled the names of the directors and guessed at their email addresses for the CC box. ;) I think I may have texted one of the directors assigned to this region too (again, finding their phone numbers with Google).

Bottom line was local complaints got no service or results but the hotline did seem to put the cat amongst the pigeons. \:D/ This was in Nongkhai but I would assume it may not be limited to that province.

CAUTION: The PEA hotline did ask for feedback once the issue was resolved but did so in a rather insecure way exposing hundreds of email addresses of those that complained in their google sheet form. May be best to use a throw away email address. Man, that list would have made a good database for someone selling solar panels.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 27, 2022, 11:02 am

finally confirmed what is regularly tripping the neighborhood power when I was walking the dogs. In the mornings and afternoons flocks of birds congregate on the power wires not far from our house. While walking the dogs heard a "baboom" saw the flock of birds scatter off the wires and a larger bird hit the pavement smoking. Now I keep an eye out for the bird carcasses in that area and 4 times now immediately after these power outages find a freshly toasted bird under the wires. Any theories on what is causing these birds to cause the shorts.. Yeah yeah, on the wires but shouldn't any potential grounding area be far enough away to prevent any arcing from a larger bird to that grounding point??
Dave

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 27, 2022, 11:19 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 27, 2022, 11:02 am
finally confirmed what is regularly tripping the neighborhood power when I was walking the dogs. In the mornings and afternoons flocks of birds congregate on the power wires not far from our house. While walking the dogs heard a "baboom" saw the flock of birds scatter off the wires and a larger bird hit the pavement smoking. Now I keep an eye out for the bird carcasses in that area and 4 times now immediately after these power outages find a freshly toasted bird under the wires. Any theories on what is causing these birds to cause the shorts.. Yeah yeah, on the wires but shouldn't any potential grounding area be far enough away to prevent any arcing from a larger bird to that grounding point??
The cables are likely to be sagging or the tapping points are rather too close giving a line / bird / neutral connection. It isn’t clear that it’s a line / bird / earth fault. If you take a photo or 2 the PEA may well service their equipment to avoid the problem.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » September 17, 2022, 3:38 pm

Lost power yesterday for 30 minutes around 4:30 pm. Maybe the cause was the flooding on Sri Chom Cheun.
Thai Rath:
"Five children electrocuted in floodwaters and heavy rain in downtown Udon Thani.
Local Mayor Thanadorn Phuttarak said there were several incidents around 4.30 pm yesterday on Sri Chom Cheun Road.
In total five people aged 9-19 were injured though only one was kept in hospital for observation.
In another incident of electrocution nearby two children were hurt."
Attachments
Electric shock 1.jpeg
Electric shock 2.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 17, 2022, 4:32 pm

Shocking.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 17, 2022, 10:08 pm

The local establishment will blame the "Pole" [-( :-k or the Water or the fact that the Kids were not walking in Stilts

Walk on Stilts.JPG

There must be a hundred or so (just a guess) of Poles, that go live when it rains in Udon. This Pole just happened to be sitting in 300mm of Water. So therefore it must be the Poles fault, for being there 8-[ :-$ Who else could it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXsCkoeins

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 18, 2022, 4:51 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
September 17, 2022, 10:08 pm
The local establishment will blame the "Pole" [-( :-k or the Water or the fact that the Kids were not walking in Stilts

Walk on Stilts.JPG

There must be a hundred or so (just a guess) of Poles, that go live when it rains in Udon. This Pole just happened to be sitting in 300mm of Water. So therefore it must be the Poles fault, for being there 8-[ :-$ Who else could it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXsCkoeins

pipoz4444
I'll have you know some of my best friends are Polish and none of them have hurt anyone when it rains let alone killed them.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”