Electricity in Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Electricity in Udon Thani

Post by Niggly » August 29, 2021, 4:52 pm

App seems to be working today.
Still showing 3.2.0 though where I’d have thought the rewriting would have involved incrementing up a version number

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 29, 2022, 11:48 pm

A BIG thank you to PEA here in Udon
Last night we went to the house to find out the electricity was out, all houses around us had power .
All breakers had remained engaged, power from the meter looked normal. So, the wife was on the phone to PEA
I thought here we go best to look at alternate accommodations for the night.
20 minutes up pulls a PEA Service vehicle and within another 10 minutes the 2 gentlemen who had shown up had the problem solved. The main power upstream of the meter had become disconnected
SO A BIG THANK YOU TO PEA. We will be calling in the morning to pass on our thanks

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 30, 2022, 8:22 am

dtammakhung wrote:
October 24, 2014, 12:02 pm
Had a friend who was entitled to free 50 units of electricity even though she was in a big block of apartments. She had the same rights as a thai person perhaps because she had a work permit? Or perhaps landlord kind enough to put account in thai name and pass on the savings.
The free electricity has nothing to do with the nationality of the user or their work permit. It is just on the units consumed and tariff.
If you are on the 1.1.1, use a 5/15 metre, are a person and use less than 50 units for at least 3 months you get free power.

If you use enough power to pay the bill there are no free units.
Note:
1. Customer, who has installed meter up to 5 Amp., 220 V., 1 Phase, 2 Wires, is classified under 1.1.1. If the customer consumes over 150 kWh for 3 consecutive months, he/she will be reclassified under 1.1.2 in the following month. When the customer does not consume over 150 kWh for 3 consecutive months, he/she will be reclassified under 1.1.1 in the following month.
2. Customer, who has installed meter over 5 Amp., 220 V., 1 Phase, 2 Wires, is classified under 1.1.2.
3. Customer, who has classified under 1.1.1 and does not consume over 50 kWh, will be received free electricity for that month until December 2015. From January 2016 onwards, the customer who classified under 1.1.1, and not be a juristic person, and does not consume over 50 kWh for 3 consecutive months (including the current month), will be received free electricity for that month.
The definition of months and dates has not been revised
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2022, 3:00 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 29, 2022, 11:48 pm
Last night we went to the house to find out the electricity was out, all houses around us had power .
All breakers had remained engaged, power from the meter looked normal. So, the wife was on the phone to PEA
20 minutes up pulls a PEA Service vehicle and within another 10 minutes the 2 gentlemen who had shown up had the problem solved. The main power upstream of the meter had become disconnected
SO A BIG THANK YOU TO PEA. We will be calling in the morning to pass on our thanks
Stop grovelling to corrupt, state-owned, wallet-emptying monopolies for just doing their bloody job. Next thing, you'll be telling us you dropped some spare notes in the tip jar at Immi.

Sheesh...
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2022, 3:02 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 30, 2022, 8:22 am
dtammakhung wrote:
October 24, 2014, 12:02 pm
Had a friend who was entitled to free 50 units of electricity even though she was in a big block of apartments. She had the same rights as a thai person perhaps because she had a work permit? Or perhaps landlord kind enough to put account in thai name and pass on the savings.
The free electricity has nothing to do with the nationality of the user or their work permit. It is just on the units consumed and tariff.
If you are on the 1.1.1, use a 5/15 metre, are a person and use less than 50 units for at least 3 months you get free power.

If you use enough power to pay the bill there are no free units.
Note:
1. Customer, who has installed meter up to 5 Amp., 220 V., 1 Phase, 2 Wires, is classified under 1.1.1. If the customer consumes over 150 kWh for 3 consecutive months, he/she will be reclassified under 1.1.2 in the following month. When the customer does not consume over 150 kWh for 3 consecutive months, he/she will be reclassified under 1.1.1 in the following month.
2. Customer, who has installed meter over 5 Amp., 220 V., 1 Phase, 2 Wires, is classified under 1.1.2.
3. Customer, who has classified under 1.1.1 and does not consume over 50 kWh, will be received free electricity for that month until December 2015. From January 2016 onwards, the customer who classified under 1.1.1, and not be a juristic person, and does not consume over 50 kWh for 3 consecutive months (including the current month), will be received free electricity for that month.
The definition of months and dates has not been revised
Neither has the posting date of the post you responded to.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 30, 2022, 3:35 pm

tamada wrote:
July 30, 2022, 3:00 pm
Doodoo wrote:
July 29, 2022, 11:48 pm
Stop grovelling to corrupt, state-owned, wallet-emptying monopolies for just doing their bloody job. Next thing, you'll be telling us you dropped some spare notes in the tip jar at Immi.

Sheesh...
I don't rank PEA as a corrupt, state-owned, wallet-emptying monopoly.......it may be one, but I try to reserve that distinction for the SRT. In the 26 years we've been here, we've seen nothing but improvements in our electric service. Several years ago my brother in a sizeable city in PA lost power for 5 days due to a storm and I wondered how that could be. Then, in Feb 2021, a sizeable portion of one of the 10 biggest cities in the US lost power, some for up to 5 days due to a snowstorm in Texas. During the May 2016 windstorm in Udon, we lost power for 15 hours. Lots of 1-3 hour power outages in our early days here, but hardly a flicker nowadays. If some PEA guys rolled up in the evening and restored power for us, I'm sure I'd slip them a purple note and tell them to have a meal on us.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2022, 3:52 pm

I agree the SRT are the pits but they never billed me monthly for an average evening voltage of 182 volts for almost 15 years. Can't complain about the rock-solid 224 volts since last April though...apart from the cost of course.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 30, 2022, 4:21 pm

Tam
I was reporting on something that was a positive and what do you do come along and drag it through the mud
This is an indication of you basis for living. What a sad life
There are numerous countries, provinces, states that have only one supplier of power to their customers. Its not a monopoly its the way it is.
Sheesh.....FFS

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 31, 2022, 6:44 am

After 20 odd years, and although at times I really was in despair at the antics of PEA, further investigation confirmed my initial theories, which was that for the last 20 years to my knowledge PEA have been playing catch up on poorly installed wiring to supply homes and businesses and the lack of foresight on loading etc of their system.
I do feel that they have turned the corner on bad mains wiring installations and they are now at last looking at trees and cutting back those that do or may interrupt normal service.
They do check meters and I had mine changed as they found out it was faulty even though I never mentioned it .
What they have not as yet overcome is supplying bugger voltage reduicers for estates as they only still supply one just big enough for the number of houses and then they build another 100 houses causing blackouts, but little steps.

Generally though they are good to acceptable their Call Centre is useless though. Cost of Electricity also acceptable compared to other countries including the UK .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 31, 2022, 7:19 am

IMO ... PEA offer a great service at reasonable prices ..
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 31, 2022, 9:39 am

Doodoo wrote:
July 30, 2022, 4:21 pm
This is an indication of you basis for living. What a sad life
Sheesh (again)

ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 31, 2022, 9:59 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 31, 2022, 7:19 am
Good to see you back Mr Monkey ....555

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 31, 2022, 10:08 am

My, how people forget we're living in a developing country!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 31, 2022, 11:43 am

timmy wrote:
July 31, 2022, 9:59 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Thanks timmy ..

im now retreating back into the UM undergrowth and under my ELECTRIC PEA sponsored duvet , total day of doing naff all as sporting rather a large hang over from my evening in Accoustic..

DM.... i shall return when i have a worthy comment
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 1, 2022, 7:02 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 31, 2022, 11:43 am
timmy wrote:
July 31, 2022, 9:59 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Thanks timmy ..

im now retreating back into the UM undergrowth and under my ELECTRIC PEA sponsored duvet , total day of doing naff all as sporting rather a large hang over from my evening in Accoustic..

DM.... i shall return when i have a worthy comment
Really we all await that with bated breath I am sure . !!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 2, 2022, 7:11 am

A further plus about PERA, yesterday they7 were in my locale an exercise which involved checking the cables and ANY tree looking as if it will interfere with those cables was shorn of the offending branches, NOW THAT is a first in 20 odd years and one I heartily agree with , however true to form one of my neighbours ( Thai ) objected and although the RTP turned up the tree was still cut . Life's a bitch......hahaha

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 2, 2022, 9:47 am

In our neighborhood east of the Horse RAcing Course our power will go off at odd times. You'll hear a distant "ka-boom", then the power either cuts off completely or goes to a trickle. PEA response is usually anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours depending upon time and day. We'll see the PEA truck, yellow lights flashing, driving slowly down the street, obviously eyeballing the lines for debris.. They do a double pass then the power is restored. Given the odd times, sometimes middle of the day, clear skies, no wind, I'd suspect its perhaps a squirrel or larger bird shorting it out. Bytm uts better than past years where not only did we get the odd outage but any nearby thunderstrom was a harbiner of a power outage. A power balancing unit was installed that seemed to take care of that..

As for branch clearing, I've observed two tiers of PEA line clearing. One is by PEA with a bucket truck taking care of a higher 3 wire set. They do a good job and haull away the debris. The 2nd tier seems to be the lowest bidding contractor to clear the 3 lines lower down on the pole that all the houses are connected to. They usually are driving a decrepit pickup, appear to be yaa baa addicts with one guy driving, supervising and pointing and one to two guys wielding machetes scampering up trees and hacking branches off, some very large. Thos branches are lft willy nilly on people's property, blocking the roads, a mess.. I imagine the contract PEA signs with these people probably dicatates the clear all this crap away but I've never seen any PEA folks spot checking the work... Getting the wife to call to PEA and complain is fitule. The Village Chief just shrugs his shoulders and advises folks to clear away the debris on their own.
Dave

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 3, 2022, 11:02 am

We have fibre at Udon Map, but it's been out since Monday morning. Was just fixed, now Wednesday. The problem apparently was that the PEA has been moving electric cables underground, and in the process of removing the cables from the poles here, they inadvertently cut the 3BB fibre cable, too. Affects all 3BB fibre users on the soi.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 4, 2022, 8:22 pm

and so??? PEA owns all the power poles. To legally put any other telecommunications cable onto the poles requires PEA permission and a fee payment.. Of course none of the Internet Service Providers here in Udon nor likely in any other place in Thailand follow any of those rules. PEA is certainly well within its rights to chop down all illegal cables.. Once the poles are gone if indeed PEA can underground all the power cables where will the ISP's put their fiber and wire cables?
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 4, 2022, 8:52 pm

Udonites should consider themselves lucky. :D

The "electric" went down for about an hour in my part of Ban Dung today - not sure how widespread it was.

But it was a double whammy, on top of the water, which was out for about 36 hours, only starting up again at about 6.30 this evening. :shock:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”