one night in udon was too much

General Udon Thani topics only!
bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » August 1, 2012, 12:16 pm

I am beginning my seventh year of living in Udon and enjoy it here very much. Other than the deep south, I've travelled to pretty much everywhere else in Thailand and, quite frankly, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

That being said, I am absolutely thrilled with Stickman's review. Do we want him to tell all of his Pattaya/Phuket/Bangkok readers how great Udon is or would we prefer him to say that this is a backwater place in which even a one night stay is too much? Let's hope he never ventures beyond the Day & Night should he ever return.

Think about it!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 1, 2012, 12:33 pm

The majority of westerners that will live permanently in Udon are those with either a wife or girlfriend from the Udon area, bad press will have no bearing on the expat population at all, it may affect tourist numbers which isn't a good thing for those westerners trying to run tourist orientated business's.
Whats the difference between Udon, Burriam, Phetburi...and most rural cities, not a lot.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » August 1, 2012, 4:23 pm

if you want to find a working girl from Udon, who doesn't work for the "slopfia" just take a trip to Pattaya, as there are plenty working down on the Beach Rd..

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 1, 2012, 10:33 pm

Have to say I came across "Stickman" about 10 years ago, and the guy was writing absolute "nonsense" then, so if he has "gone downhill" since then, I pity anyone who wastes their time reading his comments, and even more those who waste their time writing to him [-X

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 2, 2012, 9:02 am

stattointhailand wrote:Have to say I came across "Stickman" about 10 years ago, and the guy was writing absolute "nonsense" then, so if he has "gone downhill" since then, I pity anyone who wastes their time reading his comments, and even more those who waste their time writing to him
Its not his comments, it is a posters comments, seems hard for a lot to understand here.

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » August 2, 2012, 5:01 pm

Totally agree with you Laos miner Udon is one of the best places to reside in Thailand regards Dezzer.
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

chedd44
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by chedd44 » August 2, 2012, 5:30 pm

Hi All , just a point or two to make .... firstly The internet is a great place to pass on info and of course misinfo and in the stickman "email of the week" there is much misinformation , I have not heard anyone calling any of my staff "bitch" and my staff have not reported anyone saying such a thing ! the Man taken ( by me ) in the Ambulance had suffered a seizure and needed urgent hospital care ( BTW , my first experience of the Army hospital ... Fantastic staff ) and is now recovering well .
Some of my staff work a very long day and it is possible that when the customer asked about food she may have lacked some grace but after such a long day not many are prepared to smile ... just sleep !! we strive to improve all aspects of The Clock .. Which brings me to Coxo's comment ref his recomendation , firstly we appeciate all recomendations and try ti live up to those recomendations ... but we are human ... Steve and Mali were a very tough act to follow and because of them the Irish Clock is known to very many around the world and sometimes expectations can be very high and we may fall short of those expectations but we are trying and judging by the comments of many we are for the most part succeeding , no business in udon or elsewhere has has 100% possitve feedback ... the old adage of pleasing all the people all the time is as true now as ever but we do try !
I would love to comment on Stickmans page but I have not been able to find the section containing "email of the week" does he have a "reply of the week " ?

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » August 2, 2012, 5:40 pm

His contact email at the bottom of his website quotes ... [email protected]

He updates Sunday in the afternoon so get the email to him by that time 8)

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » August 3, 2012, 3:18 am

chedd44 wrote:Hi All , just a point or two to make .... firstly The internet is a great place to pass on info and of course misinfo and in the stickman "email of the week" there is much misinformation , I have not heard anyone calling any of my staff "bitch" and my staff have not reported anyone saying such a thing ! the Man taken ( by me ) in the Ambulance had suffered a seizure and needed urgent hospital care ( BTW , my first experience of the Army hospital ... Fantastic staff ) and is now recovering well .
Some of my staff work a very long day and it is possible that when the customer asked about food she may have lacked some grace but after such a long day not many are prepared to smile ... just sleep !! we strive to improve all aspects of The Clock .. Which brings me to Coxo's comment ref his recomendation , firstly we appeciate all recomendations and try ti live up to those recomendations ... but we are human ... Steve and Mali were a very tough act to follow and because of them the Irish Clock is known to very many around the world and sometimes expectations can be very high and we may fall short of those expectations but we are trying and judging by the comments of many we are for the most part succeeding , no business in udon or elsewhere has has 100% possitve feedback ... the old adage of pleasing all the people all the time is as true now as ever but we do try !
I would love to comment on Stickmans page but I have not been able to find the section containing "email of the week" does he have a "reply of the week " ?
I assume you are the current owner of The Irish Clock. I knew the original owner (from England, not Ireland! :lol: ) but I don't think I've ever met you. 6-7 years ago, some of my best memories of Udon occurred playing pool "upstairs" with me mates on the 1.5 level where there used to be 2 proper pool tables. I was living in the newly opened Top Mansion at the time and your establishment had just been completed. In fact, aside from perhaps one farang supported mini-bar, that entire street was devoid of foreign influence...look at it now...a f-ing mini-Pattaya.

Steve & Mali were in fact top-notch...I'd often recommend close friends & family to stay there. The rooms, food, service etc. were excellent. I have no doubt you've carried on the previous level of class and service. So sorry to hear about the medical emergency you mentioned...I hope all is well with the guy now.

A few months back, my wife (an Udon Native) & I spent a night just up the street from you (Top Mansion 2...can't recall the actual hotel name, but it has a pool). We've stayed in touch and have regular contact with numerous Thai families/businesses on this "soi". Now, I mean no disrespect to you (Irish Clock), Nobi's (great food!) Top Mansion etc., but honestly speaking, the street you are located on is an absolute embarrassment to Isaan, not to mention increasingly dangerous. Again, I love the Irish Clock, Top Mansion 1 & 2, & Nobi's. However, after the sun goes down, even in my wildest dreams, I would never bring my son, or wife (she wouldn't go there anyway) to your area.

Chedd44, I sincerely wish you and the Clock lasting success. There's no place like it in Isaan. Too bad the local Thai community around you sold out & allowed this street to basically turn to ----. Perhaps I'll meet you soon (in daylight!!!!!)

Cheers,

An ex-Udoner

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 3, 2012, 4:13 pm

If Soi Sampan is so bad why was you living in it, at the Top Mansion?

I live here, and have never known it to be dangerous.

Two new hotels on the Soi must have some confidence in the area.

It nothing like Pattaya, there are no Russian couples walking up and down, or groups of Indians going into a bar and sharing a beer between the lot of them.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » August 3, 2012, 4:36 pm

I never venture into soi sampan after dark without my 2 fully trained attack pitbulls my uzi sub machine gun my police issue x26 taser my pepper spray and my full 20 th century suit of armour,FFS why does this street get so much bad press? ive never had a problem in the 5 years ive been living here ,im sure theres a lot worse goes on in many towns back in their home country's,you think it was downtown Basra the way ive heard people go on

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 3, 2012, 4:49 pm

About 6-7 years ago there was a problem with Thai gangs in the Soi. One bar owner refused to let me walk back to The Clock and gave me a lift. One night whilst staying at The Clock there was gun fire outside.
The police have since cracked down on crime in the soi.
I concur with the previous two posts.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » August 3, 2012, 5:21 pm

red67 wrote:im sure theres a lot worse goes on in many towns back in their home country
Here's the top 10 in America (stats from 2010):

Top 10 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods

1. Chicago, Ill.
Neighborhood: W. Lake St.
Found within ZIP code: 60612
Predicted annual violent crimes: 297
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 257.72
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 4

2. Cleveland, Ohio
Neighborhood: Scovill Ave.
Found within ZIP code: 44104
Predicted annual violent crimes: 307
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 165.56
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 6

3. Las Vegas, Nev.
Neighborhood: Balzar Ave.
Found within ZIP code: 89106
Predicted annual violent crimes: 351
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 145.98
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 7

4. Las Vegas, Nev.
Neighborhood: N. 28th St.
Found within ZIP code: 89101
Predicted annual violent crimes: 875
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 135.09
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 7

5. Atlanta, Ga.
Neighborhood: Carter St.
Found within ZIP code: 30314, 30313
Predicted annual violent crimes:118
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 126.77
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 8

6. Philadelphia, Pa.
Neighborhood: N. 13th St.
Found within ZIP code: 19123
Predicted annual violent crimes: 488
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 117.19
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 9

7. Atlanta, GA
Neighborhood: Marietta St.
Found within ZIP code: 30313, 30303
Predicted annual violent crimes: 307
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 114.18

8. Las Vegas, Nev.
Neighborhood: D St.
Found within ZIP code: 89106, 89101
Predicted annual violent crimes: 392
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 113.53

9. Washington, D.C.
Neighborhood: L St. SE
Found within ZIP code: 20003
Predicted annual violent crimes: 240
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 111.34

10. Chattanooga, Tenn.
Neighborhood: individual St.
Found within ZIP code: 37402, 37403, 37408
Predicted annual violent crimes: 114
Violent crime rate (per 1,000): 110.79

Of interest, Las vegas had 3 streets make the top 10! I'd prefer my chances on soi sampan to ANY of these on any given night, especially if going it alone! 8-[
Every day I wake up is a good day.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » August 3, 2012, 7:00 pm

never had a problem in the soi

soi sampan has changed but so has udon, i dont think it holds the attraction it once did but there are a few venues i frequent and will continue to ddo so. i like the place

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » August 3, 2012, 10:39 pm

I've never had a problem in the soi, there's always a few rough looking thai guys around but I ming my business and I've never had any trouble

nongwuasoguy
udonmap.com

Post by nongwuasoguy » August 4, 2012, 8:39 am

I went there many times in the night and veber had any problems.
khounudon

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » August 4, 2012, 9:33 am

I like Soi Sampan... I've never had any trouble there during the handful of years I've been frequenting the Irish Clock.
In fact, the worse thing about that Soi (IMHO), is finding somewhere to park (if driving a car/truck as opposed to a M/C).

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » August 4, 2012, 10:35 am

Surely a few hours in Udon is enough.

Between 6 and 9 p.m. all you see are geezers tottering around dividing their time between trying to impress each other and convincing themselves they live in paradise.

It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 4, 2012, 11:37 am

I was in the Irish Clock a couple of days ago for Curry Thursday.
I dont think Stickmans e-mail has affected it adversely because all the tables outside and on the ground floor were full......I had to eat upstairs which was no problem.
The girls who work at the Clock are always pleasant and food and service always good.
As regards Soi Sampan.....I remember the Clock opening in Udon in 2005,just before I went back to the UK for a couple of years.I've never had a problem on this soi and you can be unlucky enough to meet up with an ill mannered lout or -------- anywhere in the world if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » August 4, 2012, 1:58 pm

Mix of hotels, many different (excellent)eateries and (girly)bars ...isn't that great???
Nasty people are everywhere. You dont bother them,they wont bother you.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”