Bank Holidays Closed.

A Confidential Hotline for people who know somebody who's not paying their tax

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/contactus/helplines.htm

I was getting a little bored of late,but now i have something to do. :lol:
Bald is beautiful.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 18, 2006, 3:07 pm

:lol: :lol: cookie and coot,comedian team ,now featured in the ''help your expats versus snitching on them'' :lol:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 19, 2006, 8:49 am

Topic is : SUPPORT THE TOURIST POLICE

Please stick to it, or start another topic.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 19, 2006, 8:06 pm

Now I've always been led to believe a policemans job is equal parts prevention and detection. Now with this in mind and knowing farang alley is a potential flash spot can I ask why a tourist police or even a volunteer isn't sometime to be seen in the vicinity. :?: :roll:

john2005
udonmap.com

Post by john2005 » October 19, 2006, 8:08 pm

Red rag to a bull Valentine.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 19, 2006, 8:16 pm

It wasn't meant to be, but I do feel the general public would be more supportive of a force that is seen to be doing something about preventing incidents than waiting for them to occur. :roll:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 19, 2006, 9:37 pm

:lol: It is a different type of police here than in my country.We have to pay for them to make an ocassional passes on our soi! :roll:

john2005
udonmap.com

Post by john2005 » October 19, 2006, 10:00 pm

Sorry Val,i was trying to say that a farang tourist policeman would be a red rag to a drunken yob."you aint a real copper,if you are go on and arrest me" etc,etc

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » October 19, 2006, 11:04 pm

Well, gentlemen, it would appear we are back at square one!

Okay, lets' deal with the drunken yob issue first. Yep, you're right, I'm not a 'real' cop. Now, do you want to deal with me or the Thai cop who carries a gun and a big stick? Up to you, matey!

Valentine, when do you want to join me on patrol? I do Farang Alley several times a week. Up for it?

Stan: Come on Stan, do at least make the effort to be serious!

I refer to my last few postings, how many of you actually sent an email showing your support to the Tourist Police? Want me to tell you? Shame on you.

Okay, enough preaching! We all have an opinion and, when it comes to the police, those opinions differ dramatically!

No one has the right answer. We all do what we think is right. I hope that none of you ever need the help of the tourist police but, if you do, we'll be there. Don't you worry! :)
Life's a beach.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 19, 2006, 11:36 pm

:) Harry,I was serious!We pay each month for the police to come and sign a piece of paper in a box they put up on our soi which has 8 residences!I have only seen them once or twice,but they collect every month! :roll:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 20, 2006, 10:44 am

Harry1534 wrote:Okay, lets' deal with the drunken yob issue first. Yep, you're right, I'm not a 'real' cop. Now, do you want to deal with me or the Thai cop who carries a gun and a big stick? Up to you, matey!
Harry it seems as we have used the simular lines in our lines of work. As many here know I was a bouncer in quite a few bars and I very rarely had to fight :roll: :? after using the same threat :wink:

My favorite line was "OK I'm going home tonight, now where you sleep depends on if you leave on your own or if I have to help you leave into the arms of the police" :wink:

So if I get lucky and make the move soon to LOS and the body is still willing it would be fun to get back into the business.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 20, 2006, 3:54 pm

Good for you Harry. I wasn't being frivolous, mine was a genuine enquiry because from the reports of incidents we've had, there has never seemed to be an officer or a volunteer present at the time.I met a bar owner in the supermarket and asked had he seen a tourist police officer on patrol there and his answer was a definite NO.Now I realise its best to make any surveillance low key, but when the business owners don't even realise you have a presence, boy thats very low key.May I ask what hours do you work as a volunteer?

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » November 8, 2006, 11:49 pm

As a senoir citzen from USA who was a fireman for 26 years (vol) in Nassau County New York could I be of any use to your tourist Police I do have free time

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » November 9, 2006, 4:50 am

Are the farang tourist police still in operation? I knew a few but thought the project had all been put on hold?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » November 9, 2006, 9:28 am

aznyron wrote:As a senoir citzen from USA who was a fireman for 26 years (vol) in Nassau County New York could I be of any use to your tourist Police I do have free time
I strongly suggest that you go to the Tourist Police Station, just around the corner from the main Provincial Police Station, near the prison and enquire there about application. They are the ones who will answer your question - not people on a forum. Those with other language abilities (especially European) are always sought after too.

And yes -, monkeyman the Farang Tourist Police are still going. Why did you think it had been put on hold ?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » November 9, 2006, 9:47 am

BKKSTAN wrote::) Harry,I was serious!We pay each month for the police to come and sign a piece of paper in a box they put up on our soi which has 8 residences!I have only seen them once or twice,but they collect every month! :roll:
The house across the soi at our site, have the same. I see two on moto bike come somewhere between 11am and 12. I see them everyday, seem to sign a paper, and go. Guess the cost is 500 baht per month. Don't know if they come by at night, for never there after 6PM.

Also about a block away and to the right is a police sub station. Well, thats what I would call it.

8)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 9, 2006, 10:32 am

:lol: Police came yesterday to collect.I felt like telling them that I didn't want the service,but changed my mind!Since I didn't initially request it ,I did go along with the neighbors and I don't want to be singled out by the police as a problem!TiT :lol:

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » November 9, 2006, 11:33 am

And yes -, monkeyman the Farang Tourist Police are still going. Why did you think it had been put on hold ?[/quote]

The usual, a rumor,

I think the more police in town the better who ever they are, it is a strange coincidence that the bars in centre of town are a lot less busy than they were last year? I went out the other night and it was hard to see any custom in any of the bars...(even Mr.Tongs) I know a lot of locals are avoiding the place because of all the trouble, so the sooner its all cleaned up the faster the bar owners takings will rise?

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » November 9, 2006, 1:43 pm

Hard to pin point the actual cause for the demise in customers down in Falang Alley. I do know that there is one less since I quit drinking on a daily basis. :lol: The only safety issues that it had to do with was me own health.

Another factor can be the stronger baht against other currencies. A glass of beer is now costing me $1.10 US - which whilst still cheaper than in the States, still bloody expensive. Bars that are charging 60 Baht - $1.65 for a small bottle of Tiger aren't going to get much of my business. I can handle the 50 Baht - $1.37 price much better.

Tong has always exhibited a rather obvious "anti-falang" attitude which could be a reason for the demise of business there. I've noticed that not even Thais are going there much anymore - which could be a reflection on the Thai economy as well. 80 Baht - $2.20 for a beer is outrageous in my opinion - especially for the so called privilege of listening to music that is too loud. (Perhaps the eye candy can make up for the disadvantages for some - but of course, being the sainted individual that I am, I never do look...)

I think that there is a collective consensus that us long term residents of Udon really don't want to have the heavy and obnoxious drinkers sullying Udon's otherwise stellar reputation. Our local, long term resident drunks can handle that project quite well without any assistance from outside.

For Stan: You are paying the local police for the "personalized service." They have nothing to do with the Tourist Police or vice-a-versa. Technically, the Tourist Police do not have to subsidize their income in that manner. Any allegations that a Tourist Police Official is doing that is quickly investigated and dealt with appropriately.

Yes, the Tourist Police are willing to welcome more volunteers. The more people that we have involved in the community, the better the community will be.

For the skeptics and those who chronically bloviate, check it out. You might find something productive to do with your time. :lol:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”