Support the Tourist Police

General Udon Thani topics only!
oldfield

Post by oldfield » November 10, 2006, 11:16 am

Doc, you are a tourist policeman right? Are you allowed to (and cabable of) apprehending a 'troublemaker'?

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » November 11, 2006, 2:10 pm

The volunteers are not expected, nor advised, to apprehend trouble makers on their own. When we are on patrol or get a call we always go with a Thai police officer.

The object of the volunteer program is not so much to deal with fighting drunks but to lend an ear, and a farang perspective, on problems some tourists and residents find themselves in.

A farang who is having a problem dealing with a Thai business, a Thai authourity or even a Thai spouse, can find themselves outnumbered and alone. That's where the volunteers get involved mostly.

Believe me, no matter what anyone tells you, the farang volunteers are not there to bash other farangs. We are not 'on the side of the Thai' and neither have we become spies in the camp!

I enjoy helping people and offer a sympathetic ear to all those farangs that find themselves in trouble, for whatever reason!

I also feel that sometimes the farangs need a little protection when it comes to dealing with the police, especially the general police. I haven't been a volunteer long enough yet, but I'm hoping that one day, whenever a farang gets into trouble, a farang volunteer is automatically called out to help them state their case.

There are times when a drunk farang decides he's Arnie and starts ripping into his peers. That's for the police to deal with. I don't get involved. You cannot reason with a drunk farang. Better to lock him away for the night and have a chat in the morning.

The Thai Police, Tourist and General, are in full support of the volunteers and respond extremely quickly whenever I've needed them. I have full documentation explaining my duties, outlining my powers and detailing all that is expected of me.

The last paragraph is most gratifying and states that should I be injured whilst on duty all hospital expenses will be taken care of. Not only that, but, should I be killed whilst on duty, the Thai authorities will supply me with a coffin! One less thing to worry about, I suppose!
Life's a beach.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » November 11, 2006, 2:35 pm

Harry,would you say there was much of a mafia presence in Udon?If you help a farang gain some advantage over a business is there ever any comeback?

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » November 11, 2006, 5:06 pm

No, there isn't a mafia style operation in Udon Thani. Not to my knowledge anyway. Having said that, the Thai 'family' attitude is extremely strong and a brother, cousin or friend will always choose Thai over farang.

Actually, that's not always true either! I was involved in a small incident a few weeks ago, nothing dramitic, just a petty theft and the guy that did it was turned in by his family!

All in all, I have yet to see any mafia in Udon Thani. I have met 'gangs' who stick together but they are mostly youngsters who only seem intent on fighting other street gangs.

If a farang were to set up a business that hurts Thai businesses there could well be some come backs but not on a mafia type scale. If that were true I think Tescos would have a bit of a problem!

I have heard farangs talking about what they percieve as mafia but, to be honest, I think that's just talk.

A couple of guys held up a jewelry store a couple of weeks ago using AK47 rifles and a motorbike. One guy was from Laos (dead with two bullet holes) and the other was from Thailand (alive with one bullet hole). Neither man was affiliated with a gang or a mafia operation.

I strongly believe that the mafia thing comes from the fact that Thai people stick together. You hit a Thai man, or woman, and suddenly you are surrounded. That has nothing to do with mafia, just Thai loving Thai. TRT!!

I have asked the police about gangs and mafia but they only laugh and say 'no such thing'.

Let's face facts, the Thai people would never tolerate a so-called family taking over all the gambling and prositution business! Would they? LOL
Life's a beach.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 11, 2006, 6:37 pm

:lol:Much of the Thai mafia,in Bangkok, are groups within the police or army abusing there authority.Not to be confused with organized ''civilian'' groups!

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » November 11, 2006, 7:31 pm

Well.....I didn't like to say, Stan :)
Life's a beach.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » November 11, 2006, 9:29 pm

Hmmm,you make Udon sound very civilised,are there really no businesses you are politely told to stay away from?
Are there tourist police in Nong Khai town Stan?I would imagine not as there is so much illegal activity going on with relation to the Laos border.I cannot believe they would let farang police stumble around just anywhere.Imagine the headlines if a farang copper gets blown away.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 11, 2006, 9:50 pm

:lol: I am not sure,but I don't think we have tourist police.Definitely don't have any falang volunteers.

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » November 11, 2006, 11:12 pm

Spent the day and night working in Nong Khai when the fireball celebrations were on.....didn't get blown away.....mind you the wind wasn't very strong that day!

There were eighteen of us working that day.....ten from Udon Thani. Two farangs.

A very pleasant day out, met some nice people and after had a bbq meal with a few beers watching the dancers and listening to the band.
Life's a beach.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » November 12, 2006, 11:49 am

Harry1534. After reading what you said about the TP it does sound like you are doing a good job, and helping people out in the community.

Well done - It really is a good idea to have falangs who can 'liase' between the police and the tourists. I think it would benefit everyone.

I would be interested in getting involved if I could but I hardly ever go in to town and I don't drink anymore, so would it be worth it, I don't know.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 12, 2006, 12:16 pm

:) I applaud those who volunteer to help others,whether it is to have something to do or for altruistic reasons.

I have psych/med background experience and I find that I am keen to situations where I might be of help,maybe more in accident situations than help in the psych area.Although I have had opportunity to be helpful in a couple of mental therapeutic situations.

Someone having a law enforcement background,has experience in handling situations that might arise within the community between falangs/ Thais and falang/falang.

I guess,I just don't have a lot of empathy or sympathy for falangs that make these kind of choices!

:lol: That attitude would probably change if I was to get stupid in some confrontational situation.Then I would be glad to see you volunteers!

I can always be grateful that we don't all think alike or experience the same feelings about given situations and individuals.So my hat is off to those that are in service to some of us that might not deserve it at the time :)

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » November 12, 2006, 12:51 pm

Businessman: Are there tourist police in Nong Khai town Stan?
Yes, the Tourist Police are also in Nong Khai. Volunteers from Udon are often sent up there to assist / show a presence.
Oldfield: I would be interested in getting involved if I could but I hardly ever go in to town and I don't drink anymore, so would it be worth it, I don't know.
Someone who doesn't drink anymore would most likely know how to deal with those who are drinking. Whether it would be worth it or not is something that only you can determine. Of course, you never know unless you give it a shot.

Seaserpent
udonmap.com

Post by Seaserpent » March 11, 2007, 5:32 pm

I looked at touristpolice.net but looks to me it is only in Thai. What is the criteria to join the tourist police?
I live in Pattaya on a 3 months on 3 months off basis and holding a non-immigrant O visa. Currently
back at work so no chance to check at TP office.
Thought of this for quit some time but have just recently got a non-immigrant visa O. Don't know if that is good enough. I use to do volunteer work back home with the Swedish Lifeboat Association, it is a kick to help out and TPV does a lot more then just talking to beer boozers.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » March 11, 2007, 6:02 pm

Next time that you are in Pattaya just stop in and talk to who ever is in charge there.

No criteria except that you have to be willing to go through a one or two day training program and be willing to commit whatever free time that you have.

Visa is not a consideration from the TP - however, having a NI-O would certainly be looked upon favorably.
Ain't Easy Being Me

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 11, 2007, 7:24 pm

:lol: Since volunteer work is illegal,do they give you a work permit?Can you actually do volunteer work on a retirement visa? :?

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Laughing Since volunteer work is illegal,do they give you a work permit?Can you actually do volunteer work on a retirement visa? Confused
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I think you are right there Stan. There should not be any difference between voluntary work for example in small school in the country side or voluntary work for the Tourist Police.
Legally you need a work permit for both!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seaserpent
udonmap.com

Post by Seaserpent » March 11, 2007, 10:39 pm

Thanks Doc

Bob4you
udonmap.com

Post by Bob4you » June 10, 2007, 7:44 pm

I am a TPV in Pattaya, we are always looking for other foreigners to join the group, currently their are about a dozen farangs here. The qualifications to join in Pattaya are 1. clean police record, 2. speak fluent English, 3. complete a 1 day training and 3 months probation. 4. ability to speak Thai is helpful but not essential. 5. a desire to help farangs with a need for assistance 6. be willing to devote 6-10 hours a week volunteering.

We receive no pay. pay for our own uniforms and equipment. When on patrol we are always with another volunteer and in radio contact if need be to the armed police. We do not need a work permit as we are assisting a government agency at their request.

To put it mildly we are there to help not hurt. The only undercover operations I am aware of are drug, *** and foreign prostitute sting operations.

I hope this clears up some of the misconceptions and I would encourage all of you that meet the requirements and want to give back to the community to get involved.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 10, 2007, 9:26 pm

cookie wrote:
Laughing Since volunteer work is illegal,do they give you a work permit?Can you actually do volunteer work on a retirement visa? Confused
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I think you are right there Stan. There should not be any difference between voluntary work for example in small school in the country side or voluntary work for the Tourist Police.
Legally you need a work permit for both!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cookie/Stan, I had thought the same as you, but came across this at Royal Thai Consulate (Hull, UK) site yesterday - click on pdf file number 4 "Additional Pack for Volunteer Work": I am sure this is new since I last visited their site.

The only thing that seems to stay the same is that it changes all the time #-o

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 11, 2007, 12:51 am

Jimbo,I didn't see anything on the site that clarified my question about T.P.'s needing work permits or not.And if they are given work permits,do they have to meet any of the monetary requirements imposed on retired or married expats?

I don't see how a person that has a visa stamped retired,can get a work permit.Seems to me ,legally speaking,volunteer ''work'' is ruled out in that situation!If that is true,some T.P. volunteers could actually be breaking the law :yikes:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”