Thai Retirement visa

General Udon Thani topics only!
rick
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by rick » August 20, 2013, 12:25 am

By the way, in the UK, the Multi-entry non-immigrant 'O' visa (for retired person 50-65) from Hull now has a monthly income/cash in the bank requirement the same as the retirement visa, i.e. equivalent of 65,000 baht/800,000 baht (in pounds, £1400/£18000). It has priced me out of the visa.

You MAY be able to get this visa cheaper from the embassy itself or another consulate, as figures given on their websites are different. So far, other non-immigrant 'O' muli-entry visas are not affected ..... yet.

rick
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa - Very important - new rules

Post by rick » August 21, 2013, 6:58 pm

Just to officially confirm that the Non-immigrant 'O' Muli-entry visa for retired people aged 50-64 (where you need to do a border run every 3 months to renew your visa) has now been aligned with the 12 month visa/extension; i.e. you require 65,000 baht a month income or 800,000 baht in an instant access savings account (or UK sterling equivalent). All such Visas are now vetted by the Thai embassy in London. Do NOT rely on the Thai embassy website - it is hopelessly out of date.

I assume these requirements will be extended to other non-immigrant categories, such as over 65's at some date, to align the visas. Likewise Marriage visas may also be brought inline soon.... Also may be rolled out to embassies in other countries....

So be prepared to meet the new requirements

747man
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by 747man » August 21, 2013, 7:16 pm

Rick, So even IF you're Married to a Thai,But DON'T have the required money in accounts OR Pensions, Are you saying that you CANNOT get a Non-Imm " O " Multi Entry ??

rick
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by rick » August 21, 2013, 8:12 pm

Currently, I think you still can. But if they are aligning the retirement qualifications, will the marriage qualifications be far behind? I think proof of about 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 baht in the bank will soon be applied. Meanwhile, I am back on tourist visas. :( I will have to get married.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by jackspratt » August 21, 2013, 8:23 pm

Rick, I am not aware of any difference in visa requirements between someone who is 64, and someone who is 65+.

Can you elaborate?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by Zidane » August 21, 2013, 8:26 pm

If you are married to a Thai you can CURRENTLY get a multi entry non immigrant o visa from two places in neighbouring countries.
Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia where you need to show income of 100k in Thai baht,marriage certificate,tabien baan,short note from the wife requesting issue of the visa and,also,taking along the wife herself is useful.
Savannakhet in Laos which has the same requirements as Kuala Lumpur except you dont need to show any proof of income,at the moment.

But the criteria in these two locations could well change soon,so be quick getting your new visa !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by BobHelm » August 21, 2013, 8:39 pm

Rick is talking about the requirements from the Hull Consulate in the UK Jack...Other Consulates/Embassies will differ even in the UK, let alone elsewhere. :D
Hull were the last Consulate to give non O visas (multi entry or single) in the UK for any reason other than Marriage.
They have, for about 4 years now, made a financial distinction on granting a non O based on age...Certain requirements for 50 to 64 far less stringent requirements once 65 is reached.
The financial requirements for the under 65 group has regularly increased over the last 4 or so years (as Rick indicates) so that now there is no difference between those requirements & the in country retirement requirements for a Permission to stay - except that the 'balance' 800K can be in any country you like.
I also understand that the non Imm O visa requested by post from Hull now actually has to travel to London before it is granted, so no more 1 day turn arounds either..

The over 65 financial requirement of just providing confirmation of a state pension (value unimportant) or for reason of marriage, where no financial requirements exist are currently unaltered.
As Rick suggests this may change in the future.

In the 8 years that I have been coming to Thailand via non Imm O from Hull the difficulty in obtaining one has increased out of all proportion. It is, to me, a pretty clear indication that the Embassy have no desire to let Hull continue to plough its' own path...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by jackspratt » August 21, 2013, 8:48 pm

OK - thanks Bob.

rick
udonmap.com

Thai Retirement visa

Post by rick » August 22, 2013, 7:11 am

Yes, Bob is correct. And while the financial requirement last year was somewhat flexible (just needed to show money coming in from outside account) now will only accept certain types of payments; and under Thai embassy scrutiny in London.

The UK embassy website still has rules from 2 years ago, but i am informed by Hull this is out of date. While this change will only affect a few (like me) any further re-alignment for those over 65 or those on marriage visas would potentially affect more people. I would say it is unreasonable to presume that those applying for visas outside of Thailand will continue to get preferential rules compared to those asking for extensions within Thailand....

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”