Yellow House Books

General Udon Thani topics only!
rickfarang
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by rickfarang » December 5, 2011, 8:01 pm

The book is about the holder of the book, not the residence. All the hoops you had to jump through did not prove anything about property, except that you live there and by all signs, it is your permanent residence. I really doubt it would be applicable to any person listed in the book. If the names can be chance, for example removing yours and adding another,I imagine that the other person would have to go through the same process as you to establish that he lives there and that it is his permanent residence. In other words, the book is only valuable to those whose names are in it.

On the inside of the cover of my yellow house book, there is a statement that if a person is born to this household, the Amphur must be notified within 15 days, if somebody listed in the book, the Amphur is to be notified within 24 hours, and if anybody changes residence, the Amphur is to be notified within 15 days. And then it mentions penalties for not complying.

So, I would imagine that when you take your house book to the Amphur to notify them that you are changing your address (so they can remove your name from the book) they will keep the book if they want to.

Sateev
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Sateev » December 5, 2011, 8:53 pm

Thanks, Rick. That confirms my thinking.

-S

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by semperfiguy » December 6, 2011, 9:58 am

I obtained a Yellow Book when I leased my first home in Udon in 2010. This past March when I changed residences, I took my new lease agreement, old Yellow Book and the new Landlord with her Blue Book and ID Card to the Nong Bua Amphur. They kept my old Yellow Book and issued a new one...moving my current residence information to the first page and entering my previous address on the 2nd page. Keep in mind that the issuance of the first Yellow Book triggers an assignment to you of a Thai ID number similar to the number assigned to Thai Nationals on their ID cards, and this number is printed in your Book. The number is used to track you in their computer system. Therefore is would appear that the book is not tied to a particular residence, but instead is tied to the foreigner because it serves as a paper trail for all permanent residences reported/claimed by the foreigner. Therefore, I would not under any circumstances leave a Yellow Book with a former Landlord.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Sateev
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Sateev » December 6, 2011, 10:13 am

Thanks, SFGuy. I am more and more convinced that this is correct, having searched around a bit, and you confirm it.

I have sent my landlord an email, outlining my reasoning, and I'm sure he will understand.

Thanks to all who have replied.

-S

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Prenders88 » December 6, 2011, 11:42 am

"Thai ID number similar to the number assigned to Thai Nationals on their ID cards, and this number is printed in your Book. The number is used to track you in their computer system".

Your ID number that you get issued when you recieve the Yellow Book, also went on my Driving Licence when I renewed it at the transport office in AEK Hospital.

I'm surprised Immigration have not caught on and kicked the 90 day report into touch, filling out forms, pushing reams of paper around, when most of us have a Yellow book and Thai ID number.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by rickfarang » December 6, 2011, 1:19 pm

Quick semi-relevant note: As with many things in this country, policies are not always applied consistently. When I renewed my driving licenses a couple of months ago, using the yellow house book to prove where I live, they put my passport number on my licenses.

Sateev
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Sateev » December 6, 2011, 3:19 pm

Prenders88 wrote:"Thai ID number similar to the number assigned to Thai Nationals on their ID cards, and this number is printed in your Book. The number is used to track you in their computer system".

Your ID number that you get issued when you recieve the Yellow Book, also went on my Driving Licence when I renewed it at the transport office in AEK Hospital.

I'm surprised Immigration have not caught on and kicked the 90 day report into touch, filling out forms, pushing reams of paper around, when most of us have a Yellow book and Thai ID number.
I think Udon is a pretty special case, as there seems to be a lot of more stable types settled here. I think I'm the only one I know personally who has a Yellow Book. I'm also amazed at the wide variance in ease of obtaining one - one guy gets it in 15 min, and, here in Nong Khai last year, it took us the better part of two months...

Still, as you say, I wish they would get out of the 19th century, and start cooperating between different government agencies, so one simple document would suffice, instead of all this monkey motion.

parrot
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by parrot » December 6, 2011, 6:57 pm

"I wish they would get out of the 19th century"

I think they're getting there....albeit slower than the US/UK maybe. Getting a driver's license used to be a nightmare 2 day affair, not it's very simple....likewise registering a vehicle. Most Thais feared going to the tetsabahn for any sort of paperwork....id's, housebooks, etc......now they're a much friendlier bunch and much more efficient. Obviously there's still room for progress......but at least I see they're moving in the right direction.

Sateev
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Sateev » December 6, 2011, 7:20 pm

Parrot, either you are a saint, or you were in Stockholm from August 23 to August 28, 1973... :)

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by bigsnake » February 15, 2012, 10:12 pm

The Old Yellow Book has been a BLESSING to this old Thailand Hand, Driver License, Post Paid Mobile, Land Line Telephone, even opening a Bank Account, more attention was paid to the Yellow Book then the Passport. Many will say you don't need a Yellow Book(true) put if you don't have it you will have to do a little TEA PAYMENT to get a Local to vouch for you. It simple shows you have a resident in Udon(whereeven in Thailand), just as the Blue does for Thais people, as most of you old thailand hands should know when it come time to Vote, the Thais MUST Vote in the City, where name is on the Blue Book. '

goodison
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by goodison » July 5, 2012, 7:06 am

Last month I applied for & received my "Yellow House Book", Paper work required very similar to that required for an O" Visa. My daughter collected the said book on my behalf about a week later. Yesterday I applied for and eceived my first Retirement Visa & I'm sure "The Yellow Book" was instrumental in this being granted without any problems. The staff at The Udon Thani Immigration Office could not have been more helpful. I believe in giving credit where it is due.

MALC
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by MALC » July 5, 2012, 8:32 am

yes a yellow house book.doe;s make things a lot easier.for most things.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Chriss » September 14, 2012, 1:38 pm

I'm trying to get a yellow book at the moment, so far 4 trips to the local government office to sign one piece of paper each time, had to get parents names and DOB's translated into Thai, no problem, now, after being summoned again this morning I find I need a 'Certificate of Nationality and Registration' from the British Embassy.

Has anyone got one of these certificates recently? I Just spoke with a..... what seemed to be less than brain dead..... Thai at the Embassy, who said I have to present my birth certificate, passport and wife's blue book 'in person', cannot send copies or originals through the mail, at a cost of 4,250 bht...... is it really worth it?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by semperfiguy » September 14, 2012, 4:49 pm

Chriss wrote:I'm trying to get a yellow book at the moment, so far 4 trips to the local government office to sign one piece of paper each time, had to get parents names and DOB's translated into Thai, no problem, now, after being summoned again this morning I find I need a 'Certificate of Nationality and Registration' from the British Embassy.

Has anyone got one of these certificates recently? I Just spoke with a..... what seemed to be less than brain dead..... Thai at the Embassy, who said I have to present my birth certificate, passport and wife's blue book 'in person', cannot send copies or originals through the mail, at a cost of 4,250 bht...... is it really worth it?
Chriss, I went to the Nong Bua Amphur and all that was required of me was a copy of my US Passport (main details page) and the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa together with a Thai translation of each. If renting you will need a copy of the owner's Blue Book and her ID card, and he/she will have to go with you to sign for you to use his/her address in your Yellow Book. Obviously, if your wife/gf is the owner of your residence then she will be the one to produce the Blue Book and her ID card. Simple as pie for me. Seems like your passport should suffice for this so-called Cert. of NR. Never heard of such an animal and sounds like overkill to me. Ask to speak to the supervisor. That's what I did!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by RLTrader » September 14, 2012, 5:07 pm

just to ad to semperfiguy's post. The only other thing I needed was a witness, forgot what they had to witness, but after it was explained to one witness, he declined. Therefore I needed to find another. TIT

Chriss
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Chriss » September 14, 2012, 5:59 pm

Tks Semperfiguy, it's the top executive that has asked for this certificate, says it's a new ruling.
RL, the witness we took, the village head man, said he was asked just basic questions, how long he'd known me, how did he know me, how long I'd been in the village and similar.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by RLTrader » September 14, 2012, 6:10 pm

Chriss,

About 5 or more years, all I can remember is that they scared the ---- out of him. He said something about he had to think about his wife and kids. Didn't blame him, think it was the way they put it. But I guess the point is each is different, no set rules. Wife did the whole thing, I had to show up twice, because of the witness problem.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Chriss » September 19, 2012, 12:30 pm

Think we're getting somewhere finally.
I decided to email the British Embassy to find out about the 'certificate of nationality', I received the reply below:

"What we have is “Statutory Declaration”, it is a kind of blank form that the applicant can write their own statement based on the evidence, for example if you would like to say about the name, passport no, place of birth, date of birth, parents details, you will have to bring your passport , birth certificate and contact us in person because you have to complete and sign the declaration form in front of our authorised officer and the officer will be a witness of your sign and stamp it. However, I would like you to double check with the local government office whether this is the thing that they ask for.
The fee is 2,750 baht"

Printed this, translated it and went back to the government, actually sat with the top exec, she said, "No, no, I not want all this, just translation of your passport".......... seems the guy on the counter who presented the paperwork to her for signing misunderstood what she wanted. Glad I emailed the Embassy, saved me 2,750 bht +return flights to BKK and possible overnight stay.
So now all the paperwork has been accepted and it's sit and wait for the yellow book to turn up. I hope....

As a side note I did the passport and email translation using Google Translate. All translated text was good and accepted, no need to use a Thai or certified office. Thank you Google.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Chriss » September 21, 2012, 8:31 pm

Yet another call back to the office, now they've taken my finger prints......... You gotta laugh....

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Panty Hamster » September 22, 2012, 12:26 am

The incompetence of Thai government workers is often shocking.
I had the same run-around -- for two years. They asked for the the same nonsense embassy paperwork certifying my passport is "original." What source document might they need? My birth certificate? The same one necessary for the passport to be issued? What they really mean by sending people on these wild-goose-chases is: "Please get out of my office. You're making me think and perhaps read a regulation and that makes my head ache."

The best answer is often to wait a few months and try again. Service with a snarl.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”