Yellow House Books

General Udon Thani topics only!
trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: Yellow House Books

Post by trubrit » September 25, 2008, 7:30 pm

arjay wrote:Pianoman, you could try finding a Thai lawyer who understands and believes in your cause and then take him along with you to explain.

I can recommend one if you wish.
Or get married , it might be cheaper. :lol:

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 26, 2008, 3:46 pm

trubrit wrote:
arjay wrote:Pianoman, you could try finding a Thai lawyer who understands and believes in your cause and then take him along with you to explain.

Your kidding right :shock:

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » September 26, 2008, 8:27 pm

i am sure the estate agent i dealt with told me wthat we have no rights to have a house book, it is granted to you and if the official you are dealing with says no thats it. welcome to thailand.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » September 26, 2008, 8:47 pm

Well, if you believe him 'hey you', then I guess you don't deserve a Yellow Book. Actually, I've knows guys that have a Yellow Book for houses they are RENTING on long term lease. :-k
Stay atop the grass

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 26, 2008, 9:10 pm

I have followed this thread with some interest, I was given my yellow House Book by the Amphur in udon after I was married and all the necessary paperwork was filled out by my then spouse.
it is not down to the land office but it is a govt Book that states you live at an address in a province .
being yellow does not entitle you to anything that is correct but it does serve as an address for thai Driving licence and other times you need to prove your address.

Some officals try not to be helpful, some charge a small fee. but it is a right that you are entitled to it, if the owner of the Blue book says so.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 26, 2008, 9:34 pm

I obtained a yellow (tabien bahn) book, a couple of years back when I was single and living in a rented house in Udon with a Lao GF. I was assisted by my Thai landlady, a teacher, who took me to the relevant government office (several times). I had to provide copies and a translation of my passport and visa. She later assisted us in adding first - my Lao GF's name, and subsequently - her daughter who lived with us at the time. We were not asked to obtain any documents from Immigration at that time.

I agree that the point being made is that the tabien bahn (house registration book) is basically a record of who lives at the house....though getting it appears to be subject to the trials, tribulations and cooperation of those working for the various "local government" departments. There is certainly no requirement for one to be married to your partner, nor indeed the landlady!! :lol:

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » September 27, 2008, 9:53 am

maybe i missundestood the manageress at the estate agents pakawala but the facts are in udon, arjay and laos girlfriend applied for and got the yellow one. in udon i went with my thai girl friend and knowing we were not married i was granted the yellow. now down in kalasin pianoman who also has a thai girl friend is refused the book on the grounds he does not have a thai wife .

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » September 27, 2008, 10:54 am

A bit of a misunderstanding Hey You, I though from your post that YOU were told 'you have no right'. :?
Stay atop the grass

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 27, 2008, 11:11 am

hey you wrote:maybe i missundestood the manageress at the estate agents pakawala but the facts are in udon, arjay and laos girlfriend applied for and got the yellow one. in udon i went with my thai girl friend and knowing we were not married i was granted the yellow. now down in kalasin pianoman who also has a thai girl friend is refused the book on the grounds he does not have a thai wife .
There was a big discussion on this on thaivisa, it seems that just about every province operates on different rules. Some are easier than others and their request for documentation sometimes differs from province to province.

I obtained my yellow book here in Udon, only three questions were asked of me otherwise everything was directed at my wife. In the end when the process was completed my wife thanked the official and attempted to discretely slip him 500bt to treat himself to lunch, but he politely refused and said that he was just doing his job =D>

pianoman
udonmap.com

Post by pianoman » September 29, 2008, 10:50 am

trubrit wrote:

You have got to be joking..... Getting Married is never the answer whether to solve a problem nor to save money...

As for the Lawyer idea, spoke to one in town who told me that it was not a good idea to push the issue with the Land Office...

Pianoman

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 1, 2008, 4:16 pm

Sorry pianoman but sounds like Kalasin mai hak farang lai lai duhr.

From various threads, Udon shows the love but head out to Nong Banglampoo (sp?) and you are a foreign devil again.

Just another idiosyncrasy of life here. Like whenever you hire a minibus or car and driver for a trip, they only fill up the tank AFTER you have started the trip.
Or having to sign a letter UNDER OATH saying that the money your wife is using to buy the land is hers (although maybe it's not).
Or your wife NOT subscribing to your firm belief that the pretty 17 year-old applicant for the live-in mae bahn job is obviously much better qualified than the gnarly 50 year-old applicant that she prefers.

pianoman
udonmap.com

Post by pianoman » October 1, 2008, 5:40 pm

The most frustrating part of this is, the Land Office for Kalasin Proviance allows single Farangs to obtain their Yellow Books, and that office is located about two blocks from the Land Office for the City of Kalasin, and again the Head Man there will not allow it...

I know, try to get the two offices to talk regarding the situation, but efforts that way have proved for not... Seems that Officials from one office do not want to step on the toes of someone from another office... And since our house / address is within the limits of Kalasin City, we can not use the office for Kalasin Proviance...

Pianoman

pianoman
udonmap.com

Post by pianoman » October 27, 2008, 6:38 am

An Update on the situation in Kalasin... My GF went in to talk with the head man in our land office, took two Yellow Books who other single Farangs had obtained in the Proviance Land Office and explained that her Farang was going to hire a Big Lawyer out of Bangkok to come to Kalasin to obtain the book and was willing to spend Big Baht to accomplish this...

The Head Man then told her that he would issue the book to her boyfriend, and explained that he did not like to give them to Single / not Married Farangs because they just go away anyway...

I do not know if it was the fear of a high priced lawyer from Bangkok, or that my GF telling him that we have been together for 6+ years, but it looks like I may be the first "Single" Farang to have a house book issued by the Kalasin City Land Office...

Pianoman

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » December 1, 2008, 2:14 pm

I went to the Udon Amphoe on friday to get my yellow book. Note that I am not retired, I am here on a one year business visa. I needed:

- 3 photos 2" (unusual big size)

- 1 higher reference person (our village head came)

- translation of my first passport page AND of my visa (which is absolutely ridiculous. My business visa is just a stamp with visa number and expiration date - there is nothing to translate!)

- my wife with her blue book

- marriage document

- birth certificate of my thai son

- no money

I got the book the same day!

About the marriage document and birth certificate: I think this is usually not required, and the information is not found in the yellow book later on. But during the interview a long pre-made document is updated and edited within the computer by the officer, which describes the person applying for the YB. And if you mention that you have a son (in my case it was obvious because he's listed in the blue book) or are married then the officer wants to include that information, and then he needs to see the original documents to add the correct information.
Last edited by Techland on December 1, 2008, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pianoman
udonmap.com

Post by pianoman » December 1, 2008, 3:10 pm

pianoman wrote:
trubrit wrote:

You have got to be joking..... Getting Married is never the answer whether to solve a problem nor to save money...

As for the Lawyer idea, spoke to one in town who told me that it was not a good idea to push the issue with the Land Office...

Pianoman
Finally have my Yellow Book in hand.... Had my girlfriend go into the Land Office and explain to the Head Man that I wanted a Yellow Book, that I had checked the Thai Law and knew that I did not have to be married to obtain one, and that if he was not willing to process my application that I was ready to have a Big Lawyer come from Bangkok to deal with him... He made us an appointment for the next week...

Went in with all the stated documents, proper ones translated into Thai at our Province Head Office and stamped "Offical Translation"... The Head Man was pleasant, but after looking over all of my paperwork he told my girlfriend that the Translations had to be stamped by the Ministry of Foregin Affairs in Bangkok... That did it, I took all the paperwork back, told him in perfect English that I would have someone who is "Big" handle this, and walked out leaving my girlfriend sitting there in shock... When she caught up with me outside the office she asked for 500 baht, went back in and came out 10 minutes later saying "3 weeks", and she said the Head Man told her not to tell the Farang that he took the baht......

I took two weeks and 5 days, but it is in my hands... Lesson learned, do not beleive or trust most Thai's in higher offices... Check things out for yourself and do not be affraid to call their bluff...

Pianoman
We

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 1, 2008, 3:44 pm

It seems in many cases,refusal is tied to attaining money! :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2008, 10:53 pm

I forgot to mention I managed to get my yellow book last week in Udon. Took wife, baby and mum-in-law to the office on Monday after I had all the copies and translations done the week before. The chap had us sit for an hour while he sorted out everyone else then he asked the wife and her mum some questions and said, come back on Wednesday and made a note of the wifes phone number. I bunged him a haloy at this point and he said he would bring it to the house if I had some beer in. Sorted!

Then I got sick for a couple of days and the Kings birthday buggered things up more but he rang saying to come into the office on Saturday morning. We got there late and he had already left but the wife phoned him and he said he was on his way back. Thirty minutes later he shows up, we all troop inside the empty office where I signed twice and my wife and her mum signed once each. He signed and chopped the yellow book and handed it to me so I bunged him another haloy and he said he would drop by sometime later.

Now I will see if this works in lieu of a 'letter of residence' from the Jomtien Immigration when I go for my Thai DL on Thursday. Would do it tomorrow but it's another bloody local holiday!

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 16, 2009, 2:41 pm

Techland wrote:I went to the Udon Amphoe on friday to get my yellow book. Note that I am not retired, I am here on a one year business visa. I needed:

- 3 photos 2" (unusual big size)

- 1 higher reference person (our village head came)

- translation of my first passport page AND of my visa (which is absolutely ridiculous. My business visa is just a stamp with visa number and expiration date - there is nothing to translate!)

- my wife with her blue book

- marriage document

- birth certificate of my thai son

- no money

I got the book the same day!

About the marriage document and birth certificate: I think this is usually not required, and the information is not found in the yellow book later on. But during the interview a long pre-made document is updated and edited within the computer by the officer, which describes the person applying for the YB. And if you mention that you have a son (in my case it was obvious because he's listed in the blue book) or are married then the officer wants to include that information, and then he needs to see the original documents to add the correct information.
Bought a house last August and the local realtor said he didn't think it was beneficial to get a yellow book. Read through this thread a few times and saw his advice was bollocks. Already have 5 year car and motorbike licenses but saw a benefit in not having to prove residence every 90 days with Immigration via their "landlord" form. Followed the advice shown in here and my experience was identical to Techland's as far as documents and requirement to bring our village head or phu yai bahn to sign. The lady who took care of us at Desk #6 said that this was a new requirement. We brought along my brother-in-law as another reference, also. Translation of passport and visa was also done at Wittiaya Language School on west side of Udondusadee Road in one hour for 600 baht so maybe they weren't too busy. Picked up the yellow book one week after applying but would have gotten it sooner if the village head wasn't busy for a few days with other village business. All in all, an easy process.

Now for my question to those who have received their yellow book. Did you all wait until your next scheduled 90 day check-in to present it or did you take it in earlier? Hate to get fined by Immigration for not reporting my address change within 24 hours like they do with the landlord/renter scam.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 16, 2009, 3:41 pm

Ron,

I take mine just in case I'm ask to show proof of residence. I never been asked, but then I'm again I'm on an extension based on marriage.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 16, 2009, 9:28 pm

Thanks Rito. I'm due to drop in on the Nong Khai bunch in another week for the 90 day report so my timing in getting the yellow book was spot on for a change.

Good info in this thread. Thanks to everyone who shared their experience and Admin/Mods for making it a sticky. Makes it easier for those of us who followed.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”