Western women in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 9:47 am

Well I've been here for 6 months now and it has finally sunk in that we're here for a while. I've been keeping an eye on UdonMap since we decided to come here and it has been great for some general info but I was wondering if there were any western women around on UdonMap or in Udon.
A bit of background - I am married to a Thai guy - we met in London and have been together 7 years married for 5) and have a 4-year old son. We've come here, probably for a year or two, so my husband can spend some time with his family and so our son can develop his Thai and get to know Thai culture. We will probably go back to the UK after a year or two here but to some extent that depends on how things work out here.
I have a few Thai female friends - mostly husband's family - but miss having western women to chat to or for info/advice on things whether that be beauty/fashion or family/kids or being married to a Thai guy! Obviously western guys can offer plenty of advice/help too, which is why I've been using UdonMap but sometimes I need a woman's point of view.
I know there aren't many western women here full stop (asked at immingration when I got my visa) but if you are one or know of any then do let me know.
Cheers! :D

maaka
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by maaka » September 21, 2012, 11:35 am

nah, I am not a woman, but welcome to UM anyway's..we need abit of Ying, as well as Yang, to even up the debates...

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by hermajesty » September 21, 2012, 12:22 pm

Hi Udonmom,
I qualify. ;-)
I don't know how to message you and it looks like I don't "qualify" for PM either...??

I live in Udon now. Been here about 4 months. I am American.

Would love to do coffee sometime.

Her M

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 12:22 pm

Thanks, I will try to get involved a bit and not just be a lurker. I've had a few PMs from guys who know of western women here - will be interesting to see if there are any on here as well.

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 12:27 pm

Thanks to those who sent PMs by the way, I'm cant reply yet as I've just joined udonmap and it won't let me send PMs

writemotive
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by writemotive » September 21, 2012, 12:51 pm

Hello,
I do notice more western women around these days and this maybe due to the new attractions of downtown. Not sure if they are residents or just passing through, but I would venture they are mostly friendly and a causal hello would be welcome. Then you could find out if these gals are here for awhile or just visitors. Welcome to you and your husband and son. Hope you have a very nice, long stay:)
Sawassdee

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by JimboPSM » September 21, 2012, 1:01 pm

Although not quite the same thing, you might try and meet up with some of the Thai ladies who have actually lived for a number of years in the West and who have now returned to Udon with their husbands.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by trubrit » September 21, 2012, 1:11 pm

A very big welcome Udonmum. There has certainly been an increase of foreign women here, especially in the new center .
They do rather tend to stick out amongst the Thai's. I have engaged some groups in conversation when they appear to be having language problems and find them very friendly, even relieved to hear an English tongue. Although I must admit most of them seem to be passing through it would be worth the effort to find out.Good luck.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by hermajesty » September 21, 2012, 1:14 pm

Hi
I thought I replied once but don't see it, so I'll try again.
I qualify! I am American, a lady. I have lived in Udon for about 4 months and Thailand for 3 years. I would definitely meet for a cuppa sometime!

I don't know how this forum works and wanted to PM you but I don't "qualify" and I don't think you do either...?? I looked at your profile and PM was not an option. I don't know how we can connect without posting an email address which I am hesitant to do. But, let's figure it out!

Her M

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by BobHelm » September 21, 2012, 1:43 pm

New members have to get a number of posts in before they can create PMs.
Sorry but when the PM system was open to all then spammers just abuse the system as yet another way of propagating their garbage.
As it is impossible (& undesirable :D ) for the Moderation Team to monitor PMs the necessity was that new members at least made a couple of posts before the PM system was open to them...

Welcome to the Forum to hermajesty & Udonmum. It will be great to have a female view on things, let alone a Farang female viewpoint.

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 2:05 pm

hermajesty wrote:Hi Udonmom,
I qualify. ;-)
I don't know how to message you and it looks like I don't "qualify" for PM either...??

I live in Udon now. Been here about 4 months. I am American.

Would love to do coffee sometime.

Her M
Hi, looks like we're having the same problems with PMs and double posting because of the delay due to moderation (luckily my duplicate got deleted!). Any my reply under yours was to a previous message.
But it would be great to meet up sometime, same as you I'm not going to put my details on here but maybe once we can PM we can arrange something.
What's your story - how did you end up in Thailand/udon?

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 2:15 pm

writemotive wrote:Hello,
I do notice more western women around these days and this maybe due to the new attractions of downtown. Not sure if they are residents or just passing through, but I would venture they are mostly friendly and a causal hello would be welcome. Then you could find out if these gals are here for awhile or just visitors. Welcome to you and your husband and son. Hope you have a very nice, long stay:)
Sawassdee
Yes definitely more than my first visit (2006). From my brief chat with immigration, you can count on one hand the number of western women on long term visas, there are more on short term visas (teachers I guess?)
I did make one friend at my son's school in the way you described. Being the only two white women in the playground it was quite easy to start chatting and we do meet up - but I haven't really been in a similar situation often. I hang out with hubby's family a lot so don't see that many around but you are right I should keep an eye out more. I think I've just been in denial about living here and have realised I should make a bit more effort!
Thanks for the help

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 2:22 pm

JimboPSM wrote:Although not quite the same thing, you might try and meet up with some of the Thai ladies who have actually lived for a number of years in the West and who have now returned to Udon with their husbands.
Hi, yes I am open to this too as my husband's cousins haven't travelled much (apart from one who is very international - she's great but lives in bangkok). But to be honest my first aim is to look for any western women, just for the cultural understanding :-)

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 2:26 pm

trubrit wrote:A very big welcome Udonmum. There has certainly been an increase of foreign women here, especially in the new center .
They do rather tend to stick out amongst the Thai's. I have engaged some groups in conversation when they appear to be having language problems and find them very friendly, even relieved to hear an English tongue. Although I must admit most of them seem to be passing through it would be worth the effort to find out.Good luck.
Yes western women definitely stand out here but most of the attention is well meant and I have worked out that a big smile helps!
I don't go to the center that often but maybe I should hang out there a bit more and make an effort to chat to any western women I see. Like you say most will probably to hear some English. Thanks :-)

udonmum
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by udonmum » September 21, 2012, 2:32 pm

BobHelm wrote:New members have to get a number of posts in before they can create PMs.
Sorry but when the PM system was open to all then spammers just abuse the system as yet another way of propagating their garbage.
As it is impossible (& undesirable :D ) for the Moderation Team to monitor PMs the necessity was that new members at least made a couple of posts before the PM system was open to them...

Welcome to the Forum to hermajesty & Udonmum. It will be great to have a female view on things, let alone a Farang female viewpoint.
That's fair enough. Thanks for the welcome :-)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by stattointhailand » September 21, 2012, 2:54 pm

Welcome to UM ladies.
Just a thought, but perhaps if you BOTH sent a request to the mods via the CONTACT US bar at the top of the page, one of the staff could put you in touch with each other without the need for either of you to reveal your e-mail addresses in public.
Not sure if it's possible, but worth a try :-k

Jed
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by Jed » September 21, 2012, 3:24 pm

A couple more posts & your PM system will be available; it activates at 10 posts, I believe.

Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to your unique perspective and contributions.

grievous
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by grievous » September 21, 2012, 5:56 pm

I think you'll find that there are two or three western women teaching at Paramin school and possibly some other schools around Udon.

writemotive
udonmap.com

Western women in Udon

Post by writemotive » September 21, 2012, 6:42 pm

Maybe you will find an ESL teaching position here and I am sure meet many nice folks from the local community.

IsaanReminiscence

Western women in Udon

Post by IsaanReminiscence » September 21, 2012, 11:58 pm

Hi Udonmum and Hmajesty,

I am,too, a new member to the site and have been lurking here for a few months. I am not currently living in Thailand but Isaan is where I was born and was my home. If you are willing to post your emails and phone numbers via my website (which will not be show to the public), I can forward your informations to both of you. My website is www.isaanreminiscence.com. :D

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”