Agenda From Last Week's Expat Meeting

General Udon Thani topics only!
papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 22, 2012, 2:59 pm

Copy and pasted from other channel...
Brick wrote: Anyway, here below is the essence of the Agenda i got hold of. I have cut out some detail which seemed more like a personal view or statement and tried to stick to the main facts. I think there are some statements that could have been better worded but this is what went out. Full text available tonight, if anyone wants a copy hopefully someone knows of a nearby place to do this.
AGENDA - PROVINCIAL ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, UDON THANI
17TH September 2012, 3-5pm.

1. To explore the possibility of changing the need of farangs to leave Thailand by way of the friendship bridge in order to renew visas.

At present large numbers of farangs pass through Udon Thani every day for the sole reason of renewing or altering their visas. It has been established that depending on where they start their journey they will spend between 5-10,000 baht in getting outside Thailand and re-entering Thailand, following a visit to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane.

If the service they receive could be achieved in an office in Udon Thani, it would help them and also Thailand, with increased revenue staying within the country. This would make Udon Thani more inviting to foreigners and thai investors.

The immediate monetary impact, based on 100 cross border crossings saved, would amount to some 500,000 to 1 million baht staying within Thailand - with a proportion being spent in Udon Thani province.
2. VISA CRITERIA

By far the most talked about subject on the list of expat frustrations are worries about the visa. Visas range from residency to tourist types and expats continually speak about them on a day to day basis.

Typical complaints are;

The retirement visa - due to world economic downturn and the strong baht more and more expats are finding that the levels of cash required for both retirement and marriage visas are becoming more restrictive.

Also specifically with the retirement visa many feel that the qualifying age of 50 years should be lowered by perhaps 5 years.

The vast majority of expats living in this country, on these types of visa, are supporting wives, children and extended families that would suffer financially should the expat be unable to fulfill the visa obligations and have to leave the country. Therefore consideration should be given to reduce the cash in bank levels by 50% in order to release cash flow in these hard economic times.

WORK PERMITS

Many expats who are married or in relationships with Thai citizens tend to establish small businesses for their families, helping them to increase their income and living standards. Expats that are in this position should not have to worry that they are breaking the law when they help and assist their families in this manner and consideration should be given, albeit by a set of rules, of an exemption from the need to obtain such a permit.

In the case of expats involved in charitable or voluntary work without payment should also be considered for exemption.

90 DAY REPORTING RULE

One other source of constant complaint in the visa system is the 90 day reporting rule.

Surely the reporting could be altered to a more helpful level of perhaps every 6 months or indeed remove it completely with provisos that should we change address then we must report this or face a fine.

3. PURCHASE OF LAND IN THE NAME OF AN EXPAT

Another hot topic of discussion.

There are many instances of expats paying for a small piece of land for the building of a dwelling house in their wife’partners name, who aare quickly rejected(?) and removed from that house/land with no recourse to the law.
We ask that consideration be given for a mechanism whereupon an expat can easily purchase in his or her own name, a small piece of land for building to avoid these instances and injustices.

We are well aware of the historical disasters in many countries where vast tracts of land have been bought by foreign people who destroy the local economy and cause hardship. This land is sometimes used for planting of food or other commodities to export to their countries of origin; I for one think such policies to be poorly thought out and have disastrous consequences for the host country, as in places such as my own origins, Scotland.

…regulation such as the land reverting to the government, or the thai family on the expats death or a time bound once only renewable government lease for a small number of rai.

4. TOURIST POLICE

All of the expat community in Udon Thani respect the proper Thai Tourist police.

They do however increasingly dislike some of the ways in which expat volunteer assistants to the Thai tourist police use their volunteer status.

(then some critiicism and a suggestion that they should not wear police uniform or do real police work without training)

5. ADVICE CENTRE FOR TOURISTS, EXPATS, INVESTORS AND BUSINESSMEN.

There is a great need for a government initiative for the provision of premises and staff to offer an advice centre…….(and lots more about this).

Follow on comment from Trubrit...
trubrit wrote:Thanks for that Rick. This appears to be the agenda put forward to the Thai side by Mr Info & co. Obviously heavily biased to helping those that currently need to circumvent the current immigration rules.As I thought, not a reflection of the majority of us that do conform .It will be interesting to see the response, if any, as it fly's in the face of the present day attitude of making it harder for these people to stay here. .
Have to agree with TB, seems to be a self serving agenda for some.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 22, 2012, 4:02 pm

Obviously the visa section on the agenda was i assume the most talked about ,,, tho imo the more important area was the government funded /run advice /information center as most must agree when trying to do anything here one can receive so much conflicting ifno its would be great to get accurate info on hand immediately therefore hopefully saving time , tea money and any other hassle ,,,,,, too much incorrect " bar room " info ref the miriad topics causes probs ,,,

Im not really of the mind that the agenda was self serving or bias as we all have differing ideas as to where change is most needed if at all .... I for one am not overly concerned ref immo changes as i believe the Thai system is pretty straight forward compared to other countries get your stuff in order and its usually ok and pretty easy ,,,tho any changes that arise to benefit expats must be welcomed..there agin i do think the current expat PV"s needs improving in some ways ....and also a fast track service for potential investors looking to start a business here wouldnt go amiss as speaking from experience the redtape and general timescale of the paperwork without tea money can be excessive lets hope that can be incorporated into an advice/help center.

As ever only my opinion ,,, and as stated a thanks to Tom and his associattes....even more so IF something/anything can be achieved in the future .

mash

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 22, 2012, 4:07 pm

papaguido wrote:Copy and pasted from other channel...
Brick wrote:
Follow on comment from Trubrit...
trubrit wrote:Thanks for that Rick. This appears to be the agenda put forward to the Thai side by Mr Info & co. Obviously heavily biased to helping those that currently need to circumvent the current immigration rules.As I thought, not a reflection of the majority of us that do conform .It will be interesting to see the response, if any, as it fly's in the face of the present day attitude of making it harder for these people to stay here. .
Have to agree with TB, seems to be a self serving agenda for some.
In an otherwise unremarkable list of straight-forward and oft discussed issues, the only self-serving bit I can see is Val's comment. :roll:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 22, 2012, 4:17 pm

Wonderful so what was so bloody secretive about that then, nothing outrageous nor was it problematical, just a meeting talking about what most of us feel some of the time. i do agree with the comments about those who are having financial difficulties seking some relaxation, but as per usual a storm in a tea-cup which makes me woder why posts were locked. maybe it is because the information is now freely available that the original secretive post is no longer needed as everyone knows what went on, which is what we all wanted in the first place.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 22, 2012, 4:23 pm

jackspratt wrote:In an otherwise unremarkable list of straight-forward and oft discussed issues, the only self-serving bit I can see is Val's comment. :roll:
Whenever I've read Val's comments on this subject the saying, "Hell hath no fury like a women scorned", comes to mind. ;)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 22, 2012, 4:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:[

]

In an otherwise unremarkable list of straight-forward and oft discussed issues, the only self-serving bit I can see is Val's comment. :roll:
Then I suggest you get a new pair of glasses. Who knows you may then be able to make a post of your own rather than just constantly squabbling on other peoples.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 22, 2012, 5:13 pm

Val I don't need a new pair of glasses - in fact I could throw away my old ones, and still be able to see your consistent negativity and white-anting across the numerous threads on this issue. =;

The pièce de résistance is your perceived need to go across to UT to further your agenda. :roll:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 22, 2012, 5:21 pm

jackspratt wrote:

The pièce de résistance is your perceived need to go across to UT to further your agenda. :roll:
That may be because they seem prepared to discuss the issue sensibly without resorting to the petty bickering you and others constantly introduce to the topic.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 22, 2012, 6:34 pm

I'd like to see a 3-year or 5-year retirement visa -- conditional upon status remaining the same throughout the visa period -- paid for, of course, and with annual reporting. This to replace the 1-year visa with 90-day reporting. Could even make it available only to those with residence in Thailand a minimum of five years.

If residence changes during that time, simply go to immigration and complete a "New Address" form for your file within 60 days of moving.

Immigration would make the same amount of money and have less work.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 22, 2012, 8:09 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:I'd like to see a 3-year or 5-year retirement visa -- conditional upon status remaining the same throughout the visa period -- paid for, of course, and with annual reporting. This to replace the 1-year visa with 90-day reporting. Could even make it available only to those with residence in Thailand a minimum of five years.

If residence changes during that time, simply go to immigration and complete a "New Address" form for your file within 60 days of moving.

Rather than whinge about the financial and age requirements addressed in the agenda, the above would have been more beneficial and practical.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » September 22, 2012, 8:15 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:I'd like to see a 3-year or 5-year retirement visa -- conditional upon status remaining the same throughout the visa period -- paid for, of course, and with annual reporting. This to replace the 1-year visa with 90-day reporting. Could even make it available only to those with residence in Thailand a minimum of five years.

Wow...see? Seek and ye shall find. I found something I agree with you 100% on! :D :-"

KB

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 22, 2012, 9:01 pm

papaguido wrote:Rather than whinge about the financial and age requirements addressed in the agenda, the above would have been more beneficial and practical.
I agree, papaguido. The money requirements are in place to keep out what Thailand considers to be undesireables, and I like those limitations. I respect the Thai Government for protecting their borders and their labor (regarding work visas), plus we are guests here.

My suggestion gives them the same amount of money over the same amount of time and with less work for them and us, and it would only apply to expats who have a good and consistent record of residency.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 22, 2012, 9:09 pm

Yes a good idea sir ,,,,, id like to see something on the same lines tho on a business visa /work permit ,,where as the visa is longer depending on the lenght of the individuals lease on a business premises and with a registered Thai tax paying fully legal company ,,,obviously the visa would revert if the business was sold or cease trading ..

may work ?!

mash

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 22, 2012, 9:18 pm

pienmash wrote:

Yes a good idea sir ,,,,, id like to see something on the same lines tho on a business visa /work permit ,,where as the visa is longer depending on the lenght of the individuals lease on a business premises and with a registered Thai tax paying fully legal company ,,,obviously the visa would revert if the business was sold or cease trading ..

may work ?!

mash
I believe your proposal would be along the same lines as mine, only dealing with work visas.

Everyone who follows the law, respects their laws and has a good record of residency -- including businesses -- are reasonable in asking for some considerations as long as it doesn't cost the Thai government revenue. I even think there would be a good chance of them working with us in areas like this where the procedures and income don't change, the length of time.

I also understand that married foreigner husbands are not allowed to work in the businesses with their wives. Maybe some concession could also be made in this regard for businesses that employ under 5 workers. In any shop successful enough to employ more than 5, doesn't really need the foreigner to have special consideration -- unless they provide a special/expert function that is unavailable in the region.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 23, 2012, 6:13 am

Nice to see we are getting sensible suggestions from everyone and a consesus on them. Although personally I am quite content with things as they are, these would make life easier for all the Farang like me that are trying to reside here in harmony with our families and those in genuine retirement, not the fly by nights who for various reasons of their own have to find ways to circumnavigate the intention of the immigration rules. In my mind had the agenda concentrated on these proposals there would have been more chance of success than those put forward, thus justifying the concern of many on here about representation .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 23, 2012, 6:33 am

Galee wrote:
jackspratt wrote:In an otherwise unremarkable list of straight-forward and oft discussed issues, the only self-serving bit I can see is Val's comment. :roll:
Whenever I've read Val's comments on this subject the saying, "Hell hath no fury like a women scorned", comes to mind. ;)
Well obviously not considered by the mods as flaming so my reply .This is a topic about the agenda for what could have been an important issue for many of us and if the above was the only thing that came to your mind, it might have been because there wasn't room for anything else . :-"

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 23, 2012, 6:57 am

Touch a nerve did I Val. Obviously the mods thought there was some truth to my comment. \:D/

chrisoary
udonmap.com

Post by chrisoary » September 23, 2012, 7:00 am

You were asked to contribute TB, but you just decided to tear it apart at every opportunity.

Perhaps if you had made some serious suggestions they would have been discussed?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 23, 2012, 7:05 am

chrisoary wrote:You were asked to contribute TB, but you just decided to tear it apart at every opportunity.

Perhaps if you had made some serious suggestions they would have been discussed?
That of course is your opinion to which you are , of course entitled. Others saw it differently. :-"

AroyFarang
udonmap.com

Post by AroyFarang » September 23, 2012, 7:06 am

I see TB is still pontificating from up on high, sad man that he is. Think its just sour grapes that he wasnt invited and there is a party going on without him, lol.
I don’t have a problem with God. I have a problem with God’s customer support team.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”