What was Udon like during the Vietnam War?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Danish
udonmap.com

What was Udon like during the Vietnam War?

Post by Danish » November 16, 2006, 9:24 am

I understand that some of the Americans, who attend this site, were here in Udon during the Vietnam War.
I know it must have been terrible to be in that war, but I

valentine

Post by valentine » November 16, 2006, 9:26 am

Sorry Danish. Don't understand what we are supposed to vote for :o

Danish
udonmap.com

Post by Danish » November 16, 2006, 9:54 am

i'm very sorry. I made a big mistake. I don't really understand this system yet. I didn't want any vote. I just vanted people to tell about Udon during the Vietnam war.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 16, 2006, 10:04 am

Some of our members have interesting photos of Udon during the war and by the looks of things it was a much quieter place then. Click on the members albums to take a look.

P.S. I've deleted the poll for you.

Danish
udonmap.com

Post by Danish » November 16, 2006, 10:18 am

Thank you Lee. Sorry to make such mess.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 16, 2006, 11:02 am

Lee, compared to now Udon was a jumping place during the time in question. Lots of bands, clubs, eye candy etc. Kinda quite and dead now.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 16, 2006, 11:21 am

When I first arrived in Udon over 8 years ago I would agree with you, but it's definitely not quiet and dead now. Am I missing something?

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » November 16, 2006, 11:42 am

As Banpaeng and others who were here can attest, Udon was a much different place back then. More than 10,000 American Air Force, Army and Marines (Nam Phong AB). A lot more bars, nightclubs, massage parlors especially outside the main gate of the airbase. The nightlife was a lot more lively than it is now except NO night market with the beer gals. The GIs would have loved that place. :lol:

The city itself was much smaller with the three circles (roundabouts) the only recognizable features for many from that era who visit. A few of the hotels are still in business, i.e. Charoen, Udorn Hotel, Sri Udorn Hotel and probably some others. The city has expanded in all directions and the population is (a guess) 7 or 8 times what it was back then within the city and outlying areas. A lot of newer houses and streets where there were rice paddies back then. No big supermarkets or mall. No ring roads but it was easier to get around town with a motorcycle or in a samlor. The pictures mentioned by Lee are a good indication of what it was really like back then.

It's a better place now to live, in many ways, but life seemed to move at a slower pace back then. Most of the guys that I've talked to over the years speak fondly of the time they spent in Udorn and elsewhere in Thailand. :D

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » November 16, 2006, 6:22 pm

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 16, 2006, 8:53 pm

Loaded, there's something wrong with your link, I get the following error 'Cannot connect to database'.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 17, 2006, 12:41 am

it was ok earlier, it was a airforce map of udon, in the late 60's i tink.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

skipvice
udonmap.com

Post by skipvice » November 17, 2006, 1:19 am

http://amer-thai2001.tripod.com/id29.html

The above will give you agood idea of what udorn was like during the war, including photo's and maps

enjoy :)

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » November 19, 2006, 10:16 am

skipvice,
thanks so much for the link. i really enjoyed perusing the pics and reading the info about life in udon during those times. i was born is 67 so the interest is historical, but I am sure for those who had experiences of udon going back that far the pics would have evoked all kinds of memories.
would love to catch up over a beer some time in the future and learn more
thanks again
mark

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 19, 2006, 8:06 pm

Thanks also, great site with plenty of good pic's.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » November 19, 2006, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the link. I am enjoying "live" radio for those old days. http://www.aftn.net/AFTN/sound/radio.htm

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 19, 2006, 9:04 pm

Mainer wrote: I am enjoying "live" radio for those old days. http://www.aftn.net/AFTN/sound/radio.htm
another good link thanks.
seems like that Charlie Tuna guy was a bit of a joker of the airwaves, you just knew that guy on the other end of the phone was going to answer that call in the electric phone prank. :D

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 19, 2006, 9:34 pm

I was stationed here in Udon Thani from 1970 - 1971. The city certainly was much smaller then. 98% of all the roads had been washed away by the heavy rains the previous rainy season leaving us with red clay all over everything. The only paved roads were those made of concrete (around each circle and one or two other streets).
The city was a jumping place back then with plenty of bars, nite clubs, massage parlors, restaurants, gold shops, tailor shops, shoe making shops etc, etc etc. You could get nearly anything you wanted hand made at a very reasonable.
The primary means of transportation were samlors, Baht Buses & taxis.
As I recall the area between the air base and Ramasun radar site was pretty desolate. Several villages along the road to include one loaded with monkeys.
The base operated 24 hours a day 7 days a week so the local community adjusted their schedule to accomodate the GI's who had a lot of time on their hands, and lots of money (comparitively speaking).
I really enjoyed my stay here in Udon which was one reason I retired here.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

mjohncoady

Post by mjohncoady » November 20, 2006, 11:13 am

I spent 1969 at Ramasoon Station, 7th RRFS, in the village of Nong Soon about 15 KM south of Udorn on what was then called the Friendship Highway (towards Kohn Kaen). There were actually two villages, one on either side of the highway: Nong Soon and Nam Bahn Kam or something like that. Neither had electricity when I arrived there in Dec. of 1968 and the only paved road was the highway. There was also no running water. The people where the happiest and friendliest I have ever encountered. The first electric line arrived in the middle of 1969. The post, in contrast, glared in the night thanks to our generators and had provided potable water to the villagers through spigots just outside the fence.

The post was small with perhaps 200 or 300 troops but the airbase at Udorn had many times that number of servicemen. Air America worked from there and I think bombing missions might have been launched although certainly not on the same scale as those from Okinawa where I had been previously stationed. I saw a guy one night in a club wearing a jacket with the phrase "We Deal in Death and Destruction" on the back. I remember thinking that it was one thing to do such a thing (Deal in Death) but quite another to brag about it. As you may have deduced by now, I didn't make a very good soldier--couldn't stop thinking for myself.

Udorn had a number of night clubs, bars, and restaurants of varying quality. I remember one large night club that had two bands that would change out in the middle of a song so that the music was continuous. Names I remember were the VIP club, the Tip Top Bar and the Wolverine, which was a hangout for Air America pilots and crews. There were many prostitutes, lots of drugs, and a general party atmosphere for those interested in such things (and I was interested). I did not encounter any crime, hostility or other signs of resentment but perhaps I just wasn't paying attention. The second hand accounts of problems--bar fights, muggings, and such--all seemed to me to result from arrogance or misbehavior on the part of the "victim" but, then again, I wasn't taking a survey. In fact, I gave such things very little thought. I pretty much went where I wanted and never felt threatened although my superiors routinely issued warnings against "fraternizing with foreign nationals." Talk about arrogant--can you imagine going to another country and referring to THEM as foreigners?

Anyway, roads were poor, the police corrupt (the natives called them "land sharks"), prices low, and the people both tolerant and friendly. I loved it.

I have posted pictures here but I can't find them now so maybe the moderator cleaned house--disk space is cheap but not free. I suggest you Google "7th RRFS," "Udorn," "Ramasun," " Ramasoon," and J.B. Sadler . Check the images option. I have posted a number of photos personally on various sites, J.B. has quite a few on his own webpage, and there are some others around but many are on sites that have restricted membership.

Hope this helps a little. 8)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 20, 2006, 1:28 pm

mjohncoady wrote:I have posted pictures here but I can't find them now so maybe the moderator cleaned house--disk space is cheap but not free. I suggest you Google "7th RRFS," "Udorn," "Ramasun," " Ramasoon," and J.B. Sadler . Check the images option.
No photos have been deleted. However if you use the upload image to post option then they are uploaded to an independent server, their guidelines state that if an image isn't viewed for over 30 days then it will be deleted. That's the only disadvantage with that option. To avoid this link to the images instead of uploading them, thanks ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to install my own image upload function to avoid hosting on an external site.

:)

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » November 20, 2006, 4:32 pm

I think your pics are still here. Try this link

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/a ... user_id=21

Brian
:)
Brian

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”