Anzac Day

General Udon Thani topics only!
trekkertony
udonmap.com

Anzac Day

Post by trekkertony » April 25, 2013, 4:47 am

To all fellow Australians and our cousins from across the ditch the New Zealanders.

A day of deep reflection, for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice . Having just attended a Dawn Services and seeing children playing under the lights of the Cenotaph, others standing quietly reflecting on the freedom our countries enjoy, those who have gone before us would be deeply moved by the respect shown. May we all live in peace.

[quote]At the going down of the sun...

I crouched in a shallow trench on that hell of exposed beaches... steeply rising foothills bare of cover... a landscape pockmarked with war’s inevitable litter... piles of stores... equipment... ammunition... and the weird contortions of death sculptured in Australian flesh... I saw the going down of the sun on that first ANZAC Day... the chaotic maelstrom of Australia’s blooding.

I fought in the frozen mud of the Somme... in a blazing destroyer exploding on the North Sea... I fought on the perimeter at Tobruk... crashed in the flaming wreckage of a fighter in New Guinea... lived with the damned in the place cursed with the name Changi.

I was your mate... the kid across the street... the med. student at graduation... the mechanic in the corner garage... the baker who brought you bread... the gardener who cut your lawn... the clerk who sent your phone bill.

I was an Army private... a Naval commander... an Air Force bombardier. no man knows me... no name marks my tomb, for I am every Australian serviceman... I am the Unknown Soldier.

I died for a cause I held just in the service of my land... that you and yours may say in freedom... I am proud to be an Australian.[/quote][/quote]

downunder
udonmap.com

Anzac Day

Post by downunder » April 25, 2013, 6:47 am

It is a sad day for Aussies and Kiwis, but proud to know that they took the front line, and those who died did so facing the enemy. The young boys who showed the world that to be Australian and New Zealanders [ANZACS] did their countries proud. LEST WE FORGET. The Legend lives on.

maaka
udonmap.com

Anzac Day

Post by maaka » April 25, 2013, 7:13 am

well put Digger.
we across ' the ditch ' are thinking of your fallen heroes, and those that served, and are still currently serving alongside us Kiwi's, and the sacifice that they made, or are still making. May they rest in peace. We will not forget them.

My Kiwi son served in your Australian Army, so my family are linked in an intimate way to the ANZAC spirit..We have a foot on both sides of the ditch..

To all other families outside of the ANZAC ( Australian and New Zealand Army Corps ) umbrella, who have served,or thier loved ones have served, or are currently serving, or indeed, those who have lost a cherished family member in the line of duty, your thoughts are with us also..

Stand strong
Be brave
and of Stout Heart

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Anzac Day

Post by wokkawombat » April 25, 2013, 11:02 am

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET
Gurgle, Gurgle...

trubrit
udonmap.com

Anzac Day

Post by trubrit » April 25, 2013, 11:16 am

I know it's too late for this year but some may like to know for the future a full program with serving members of the Australian Army standing on point , is held every year on this day in Kanchanaburi.Unfortunately the journey is too much for me to attend now , but I still send a wreath.
http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/file ... AC2013.pdf. Its four pages of details.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

mak
udonmap.com

Anzac Day

Post by mak » April 25, 2013, 12:22 pm

Lest we forget.

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Anzac Day

Post by wayneor0 » April 26, 2013, 6:27 am

we will remember them

magpie73
udonmap.com

Re: Anzac Day

Post by magpie73 » April 25, 2018, 10:25 pm

as it's Anzac day would like to say a massive thank you for the sacrifices of the Australian forces
they shall grow not old, as we that are left
grow old
age shall not weary them, nor the years
condemn.
at the going down of the sun and in the
morning.
we will remember them.
the Geordie nation thanks you

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”